Book Notes

Disco

Re: Book Notes

Post by Disco »

Squirrel wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 am
Next is Still Life by Sarah Winman because I was looking for 99p Kindle deals.
I'm reading this at the moment. I'm enjoying it so far - 18% in - but it has long chapters and I tend to read before bed so I've found myself too tired to finish chapters.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I can't get on with Anne Tyler books at all.

I started White Villa yesterday which is ok so far. Friends and Strangers before that which I enjoyed and have another of her's on my Kindle to read next. I read the Poisonwood Bible on holiday and reality enjoyed it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I liked French Braid but it was very Anne Tyler -ish. I can’t read too many of hers in a row.

I’m now halfway through Jess Phillips’ The Life of an MP. I absolutely love her & it’s exactly what you would expect it to be.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I love Anne Tyler and enjoyed French Braid a lot. She definitely has a very particular style though.

I've just started The Last House on Needless Street as it seemed to have been recommended a lot, but one of the narrators is a cat which I'm not feeling at all.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I am currently reading The Book Thief which I know lots of you hated. I struggled to get into it but I really want to know what happens. I'm also reading Malibu Rising.

I also just saw that I need to read I Know Why the Caged Bird sings for my course which I read years ago but I am going to read again.

Books I have enjoyed in the last few weeks:

The Paper Palace - Miranda Cowley Heller
The Sight of You - Holly Miller
Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult
Another Life - Jodie Chapman
A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult
The next person you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom
The five people you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Disco wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:52 am
Squirrel wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 am
Next is Still Life by Sarah Winman because I was looking for 99p Kindle deals.
I'm reading this at the moment. I'm enjoying it so far - 18% in - but it has long chapters and I tend to read before bed so I've found myself too tired to finish chapters.
I’ve read loads today (on holiday) and it took me ages to get into it but I’m loving it now.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Kenickie wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 pm I've just started The Last House on Needless Street as it seemed to have been recommended a lot, but one of the narrators is a cat which I'm not feeling at all.
Stick with it! The story is very unusual.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Kenickie wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:43 pm I've just started The Last House on Needless Street as it seemed to have been recommended a lot, but one of the narrators is a cat which I'm not feeling at all.
I felt very similar and I actively LIKE cats. I second sticking with it though. It was very good, very different. :yes: Everytime you think you've got where it's going, it goes somewhere else. :))

I am racing through P.D. James' Innocent Blood at the moment, which is also a bit on the weird side. I also picked up Run Time at the library this weekend, so handy to now see Rebs recommending it. :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I will keep going if two of you are instructing me to do so. ;)

For the record, I love cats. At least it's not a dog I guess!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished Love Untold by Ruth Jones, which was ok. Not the best that I've read by her.
I'm now reading What Might Have Been by Holly Miller
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Re Needless Street, I had to stop reading because I was getting snake vibes and I can’t deal with snakes.

Will someone who knows tell me if I should stay stopped or if it’s safe for me to continue, please and thank you.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

There is a snake incident, yes.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:26 am I am racing through P.D. James' Innocent Blood at the moment, which is also a bit on the weird side. I also picked up Run Time at the library this weekend, so handy to now see Rebs recommending it. :))
Ooh, hope you enjoy it. I realised I misremembered one of the other books of hers I've read. Not Nothing Man but Rewind. Anyway, I like her writing style.

Amazon regularly tells me I might like The Last House on Needless Street. :mrgreen:
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've probably said this on here before, but I'm a massive PD James fan. I think the Cordelia Gray books are among my favourite detective books ever written and I was always quite sad that she only wrote two of them. I even won a prize the year she did the presentations at my school prizegiving so got to meet her (briefly).
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

purple_dress wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:04 pm There is a snake incident, yes.
Thank you.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have Needless Street on my Kindle - I heard an interview with the author and was quite entranced by her so I must pick it up!

I tried several times to enjoy The Young Accomplice but it's really not me, so I am now on The Palace Papers by Tina Brown. I hesitated before reading it but I'm really enjoying it. It's very immensely readable but has no agenda or bias.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Flora Poste wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:31 pm I've probably said this on here before, but I'm a massive PD James fan. I think the Cordelia Gray books are among my favourite detective books ever written and I was always quite sad that she only wrote two of them. I even won a prize the year she did the presentations at my school prizegiving so got to meet her (briefly).
My library has both the Cordelia Gray books, so I shall pick them up before I go on holiday. :)) Cheers. :))
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I started Needless Street but couldn’t get on with it so it’s on my unfinished list.

I am currently reading The Devil You Know by Gwen Adshed which is about her career as a Forensic Psychiatrist. It’s interesting.

Recently i also read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir which I absolutely loved. If you liked the Martian then it’s well worth a read.

I have Inkblack Heart (the new Cormoran Strike) being delivered today :weewee:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Chicky wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:37 am
I am currently reading The Devil You Know by Gwen Adshed which is about her career as a Forensic Psychiatrist. It’s interesting.
Thank you, I’ve downloaded the 99p kindle version :)
Disco

Post by Disco »

I didn’t particularly like Needless Street. I think more because all the reviews were very good, I felt a bit underwhelmed as it didn’t live up to the hype for me.