Reading Heart Liberals

sally maclennane

Re: Reading Heart Liberals

Post by sally maclennane »

Ah I wondered, I think it goes by both names.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Finished:

David Mitchell: Unruly - Fun exploration of the rulers of Britain up to E 1st. It was an audio book and my only real complaint was, that his voice is a bit grating after a while but it's obvious that he loves history.

Another one of my ridiculous DI Galena books, Joy Ellis has written tons of them.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Little My

Post by Little My »

I started The Mystery Guest by Nita Prose today. It's another maid novel, and it's very easy to get absorbed back into reading Molly's story.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:01 am I finished Prophet and it was excellent. Iain M Banks level sci-fi, with a love story that I ended up far too deeply invested in. :))
I've just read Prophet and I enjoyed it as well - I haven't read any sci-fi for ages and this was a good read, although I did end up rushing it a bit as I've had it for ages and then some other inconsiderate person ordered it from the library, so I had to read it before it went overdue and I got fined!*

*I did actually go overdue by a couple of days but I was very relieved that it was only 30p a day.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have been trying to read Beloved (Toni Morrison) for about 3 weeks. I'm ashamed to say I returned it to the library unfinished. I couldn't get on with it at all, which is my failing not Morrison's.

I'm on In Memorial by Alice Finn instead, the story of two public schoolboys who both enlist in WW1.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve now finished all of the Skelfs books. Would totally watch a TV adaptation.

I might read Sarah Pascoe next. But I’d also like to finish the Cazalets before the end of the year.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I finished Miss Smilla, which I thoroughly enjoyed but it did go on a bit. I did not find all the latter stuff about ship tonnage very engaging, though all the stuff about the colonisation of Greenland was fascinating.

I don't know what to do next. :panic: Maybe the Doug Johnstone ones. I could do with something engaging but not too challenging.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

They would be perfect for that Bats.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:35 am My local book group has changed the date of December’s meeting, so I can now make it. It’s a Jenny Eclair book, which isn’t something I’d usually be drawn to.
I really wish I hadn’t said I could make the new date. I read a few chapters and it’s bloody awful. I refuse to waste any more time on it. :lol:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’ve read a couple of non fiction books recently and am partway through a DI Banks book that is dragging. When I finish it, I’ll have 5 left for the year’s challenge. I think that’s doable as I finish work on the 21st.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I'm way behind. Only 36 I think out of 52. But I have read that much, just recently they have all been rereads which I don't count. I don't see myself reading 18 new to me books before the end of the year.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I've kept a book journal of what I've read this year, but no idea on numbers and I honestly don't want to make targets for something I do in my free time. I've got enough of that at work. :sman:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

wendy james wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:39 pm
wendy james wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:35 am My local book group has changed the date of December’s meeting, so I can now make it. It’s a Jenny Eclair book, which isn’t something I’d usually be drawn to.
I really wish I hadn’t said I could make the new date. I read a few chapters and it’s bloody awful. I refuse to waste any more time on it. :lol:
I've read one of hers and found it awful as well.
Malan
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I'm loving Tomorrow & x3. The whole gaming world is rather fascinating and I really like Sam and Sadie.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I've got that to read after I finish Brooklyn, which I'm really enjoying.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I who have never known men - Jaqueline Harpman: Beautifully bleak, one of the bleakest books I've ever read.
Fuck being humble - Stefanie Sword-Williams: Self-help which I'm looking to put into practice
A dark matter - Doug Johnstone: Enjoyed this more than the standalone I read last week or so. I've reserved the next in the series
Killer on the fens - Joy Ellis: another of the fens series, a non-demanding thriller.
A man with one of those faces: Caimh McDonnell: love his Stranger Times books so gave this a go. Paul Mulchrone goes on the run after a case of mistaken identity. So funny in places and so Irish. I'll pick up the next two books in this trilogy.

I have three books to go to to meet my 104 target.

Currently reading:

The Christmas Appeal: Janice Hallett
The House with the Golden Door: Elodie Harper
The Big Chill: Doug Johnstone
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I quite enjoy tracking my books, Lazz. I like to look back at what I have read.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I do too Bean. I’m on 29 & 30 out of a target of 30 so I think I’ll make it.

I read I Who Have Never Known Men earlier this year and very much loved it despite the bleak.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Ah, see, I think it would stress me out rather than give me a sense of achievement. I'm such a bundle of laughs. :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It gives me a goal not to sit watching TV/scrolling but it’s not for everyone if it stresses you out.