On Your Bookshelf

Lily
Picker-Lily

On Your Bookshelf

Post by Lily »

I thought perhaps a fresh thread for a fresh decade. What are you starting 2020 with?

I am on Men at Arms by Evelyn Waugh, which I am enjoying immensely.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading Conviction by Denise Mina right now. I’m gripped already.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I really liked that, Pip.

I'm on Top Marks for Murder (YA crime).
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I love Denise Mina, she's such a nice person too.

I have two on the go

If Chins Could Talk - Bruce Campbell, hilarious so far I'm a massive Bruce and B-Movie fan.
Wych Elm - Tana French, I'm still trying to work my way through it as it's not grabbing me at all.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister

The Witness for the Prosecution & Other Stories - Agatha Christie

I’m really into short stories at the moment.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve been trying to read a bit more these days as I’ve let it slip.

I’ve just finished The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable (okay-ish) and am now (re-reading) Exit Music by Ian Rankin.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve got a big list and I can’t remember any of it, but I’ve just finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, and it was amazing! I’ve just started another of hers, Commonwealth.
Elya

Post by Elya »

I love Ann Patchett - the Magician’s Assistant is excellent.

I’m reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - I’m really enjoying it so far.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I'm trying to read more - use my phone less.

I've just finished An American Marriage which I enjoyed, although it was slightly depressing to read, not much hope or happiness.

On my list:
The Testaments by Margaret Attwood (a gift but I think I might need something positive first)
Vox (recommended by a friend but not great reviews on Amazon and again, a bit depressing).

I need something positive to read - I'm so terrible at choosing books, it takes me ages.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I’ve got Vox downloaded onto my kindle, Coo. I’ve been bracing myself to read it for about three months and I still don’t feel ready; I’m going to need positive things to read this year.
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

I thought the first half of Vox was enjoyable enough, but the second half got a bit silly. It's a quick, easy read though.

I'm reading One Little Mistake. A psychological thriller centred around a woman leaving her baby alone for a moment, with consequences (revealed in first page so not a spoiler I hope). It feels a bit predictable so I'm hoping for some big twists.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm reading Three Wishes by Lianne Moriarty.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just finished Conviction, read in two sittings. It was pretty good, I’d like to see it done on TV.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I've just finished Vox, it's sort of similar to Handmaid's Tale. It was really good but also freaked me out.

Not sure if it's the reason I can't sleep but I've had to get up and watch The Great Festive Bake Off. :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Duophonic wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:40 pm Wych Elm - Tana French, I'm still trying to work my way through it as it's not grabbing me at all.
Keep going with this - it is slow, but it's worth it and got me into Tana French.

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Lily, why did you give The Coffin Path 2 stars? I am intrigued, I thought it was minimum a solid 4. :))

I finished the (solidly 4 star) Coffin Path on NY Day. Gothicky moors, ghosts, the Devil, the civil war. Excellent on historical detail (syas me, who isn't great on it). It did go on a bit, but I thought that just added to the general slow turn of seasons reveal. Then I polished of Susan Hill's The Beacon in one day, which was a good bit of story telling where I ended up fascinated by all the characters. I'm reading her Man in the Painting now, which is less gripping, but I got it out of Liverpool Library as an ebook last night so it was terribly accessible. I'm trying to wean myself off giving Jeff Bezos money, so will do library reading more often, though thewir eBook selection is a bit hit and miss.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I need to work out how to do the library ebook thing. A lot of what I read is from the 99p selection but I could do with borrowing more.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The only annoying thing about the ebook loan thing is I need to read them on my tablet, not my Kindle, and I'm less keen on the lighting on my tablet. #FirstWorldProblems. :))
Skips

Post by Skips »

I read a lot of free books from Amazon (or I take out paper books from the library - I don't like reading books on my tablet).

I am currently reading The Beekeeper of New York by Summer Luqman. I'm enjoying it so far (just over 50% of the way through).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 am Lily, why did you give The Coffin Path 2 stars? I am intrigued, I thought it was minimum a solid 4. :))
It was so long ago I can't remember, but I felt really cross and disappointed with it. I will try and give it another go if you feel I have done it a disservice.I wasn't aware there was a new Susan Hill - I will check it out. She has yet, beside Dolly, done anything (IMO) to equal The Woman in Black and I get cross and disappointed with her too.