On Your Bookshelf

Loralei

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Loralei »

That's a good one (although I think I've liked all of hers by their ending).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have finally got Ali Smith's "Summer" out of the library, which is unseasonable and not great timing as I'm trying to stick to spooky reading for Halloween week. But reading Ali Smith always makes me feel like I've had a long cuddle and one could do with that.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I also loved the Sisters Brothers and did watch the film on a plane one time which I also found enjoyable.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I finished the Sandi Toksvig - Between the Stops. It was the number 12 bus route in London and she told some of the history on areas around the stops - very often decrying the amount of male vs women known history i.e. the women history hardly ever mentioned. She also told some anecdotes about her life which all in all was quite enjoyable.

Then I read and just finished A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin. A collection of short stories, hard to describe but really just stories of people with very hard lives but still often seeing some joy - mostly set in USA especially Texas and also Mexico and Chile. I really loved the writing and will definitely read many of them again.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I just finished Girls of Brackenhill by Kate Moretti which was great. Very creepy.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My mum bought me the Sandi Toksvig book last Christmas and I have no idea why. I will read it eventually though, unless it went to the charity shop last week.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Annabella wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:40 pm I also loved the Sisters Brothers and did watch the film on a plane one time which I also found enjoyable.
I'm adoring it and don't want it to end. :))
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I've just finished This is Going to Hurt. It might be the book that recovers my reading mojo as I read it in 2 days - I often don't manage more than a page or two a day now. I laughed so hard and now am in floods of tears at the abrupt end.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I loved that book, I started it in the middle of the night one night when I couldn't sleep and I couldn't stop reading it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I didn't expect to be so drawn in, it was great.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished the latest Rebus this evening, I really liked it, Ian Rankin is such a good writer.

I have downloaded Such a Fun Age to read next. As well as people on here, Nicola Sturgeon recommended it too :love:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
rosy

Post by rosy »

For Jodi Taylor fans, the second Time Police book is out: Hard Time: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081CHQFQT/ ... MFbCZSFB7P It’s just as good as the first one and sets up a new villain, so I’m looking forward to the next book.

I bought the Angry Chef book but it was so depressing.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I finished The Sisters Brothers: loved it. I'm on a roll of reading some really great books from my pile at the moment.

I've decided to cheer myself up by rereading Notes from a Big Country for the millionth time. I bloody love Bill Bryson.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Annabella wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm Then I read and just finished A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin. A collection of short stories, hard to describe but really just stories of people with very hard lives but still often seeing some joy - mostly set in USA especially Texas and also Mexico and Chile. I really loved the writing and will definitely read many of them again.
Grrr, my library won't get this in! This reminds me I need to get it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Lily wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 pm
Annabella wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm Then I read and just finished A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin. A collection of short stories, hard to describe but really just stories of people with very hard lives but still often seeing some joy - mostly set in USA especially Texas and also Mexico and Chile. I really loved the writing and will definitely read many of them again.
Grrr, my library won't get this in! This reminds me I need to get it.
I got it on kindle a while ago as one of those 99p offers
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Who They Was by Gabriel Krauze - it's a semi-autobiographical novel about gang culture in London in the mid-00s. I really enjoyed it - it's written mostly in London street language but I didn't find it too hard to read at all when I got into it (although I did end up looking up a lot in urban dictionary). It's really violent in places but incredibly powerful and I've become slightly fascinated by the author. I guess for me, it's one of those books that really gets you under the skin of another culture, one that I lived pretty much in parallel with in London at the same time, without ever really crossing paths (although I did look up where the estate in South Kilburn is where much of it is set, to realise a good friend of mind lived one road over at the time).
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Greatest Hits tonight. It wasn’t very much about music at all; just the personal life of someone who was a famous musician. It was snapshots of her life told as memories during a single day. It was really quite lovely in the end.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I read the end bit and the songs actually exist, which makes it better than Daisy Jones and The Six. https://open.spotify.com/album/0WmJBWOm ... fy2uUIXGgA
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I finished Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton (copying Lora) and am enjoying breathing again because I think I held my breath for most of it. Tense!

Deffo need light and fluffy now.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I absolutely loved that, Cerise. So moving.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.