On Your Bookshelf

Flora Poste

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished The Vanishing Half. I enjoyed it and thought it was really readable, her writing reminded me a bit of Ann Patchett actually.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

After realising through another thread that lockdown seriously affected my interest in reading, I decided to make a concerted effort to read more. At 10 o’ clock every night the tv goes off, my phones goes on the sideboard for charging in the living room and I take myself to bed with a book.

I am really enjoying House of Glass by Hadley Freeman- I really like her columns in the Grauniad and I was intrigued by the feature piece about her book. She traces the life of her grandmother and great uncles from pre-WW1 Poland to France and beyond. They had fascinating lives and it’s beautifully written.

This is the article that piqued my interest: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ey-freeman
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

That's on my to-read bookshelf, Hazey! I've got it in hardback which always puts me off bedtime reading.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

My library uses BorrowBox which is an absolute boon during lockdown.

I've just finished - Unnatural Causes The Life and Many Deaths of Britain's Top Forensic Pathologist by Dr Richard Shepherd. A fantastic read if you're interested in forensic methods and investigation.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

lazzbo wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:45 pm That's on my to-read bookshelf, Hazey! I've got it in hardback which always puts me off bedtime reading.
Yes, mine is hardback and you’re right it’s not that easy to hold. I hope you enjoy it.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Weak wrists, innit. :)) Cheers, pal! I'll let you know when I get round to it, I daren't count how many I still have to go.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I tried reading House of Glass but I couldn’t get into it for some reason. I think there were too many names to remember. Please let us know if it’s worth trying again.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I tried Girl Woman Other but I couldn't get into it. Mainly because the new John Connolly, The Dirty South, was banging on my door - so now I'm on that.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I found a stand-alone Mark Billingham, Rush of Blood, about three couples who meet on a Florida holiday, in the library. It was a good read, got through it in a day. Now I’ve got the latest in the Kate Shackleton series. These are getting darker.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Lily wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:52 am I tried Girl Woman Other but I couldn't get into it. Mainly because the new John Connolly, The Dirty South, was banging on my door - so now I'm on that.
Oh, that's a shame, I loved it and thought it was so cleverly done. I think the lack of full stops put me off at first, or whatever it is, but I really recommend it - the stories of so many of the characters have really stayed with me.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:59 am I found a stand-alone Mark Billingham, Rush of Blood, about three couples who meet on a Florida holiday, in the library. It was a good read, got through it in a day. Now I’ve got the latest in the Kate Shackleton series. These are getting darker.
I read that MB book years ago, and really liked it.

I loved Girl, Woman, Other but found it hard to get into at first. If there had been something else I wanted to read knocking about, I'd have definitely given it up ;)

I'm still on Such A Fun Age, I've been rubbish about reading over the last few weeks but I'm getting back into it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 pm I'm still on Such A Fun Age, I've been rubbish about reading over the last few weeks but I'm getting back into it.
I loved that too! Such a slashing takedown.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve been enjoying some Icelandic crime recently, specifically the Children’s house series by Yrsa sigurdardottir. I’ve finished the first one which was creepy and am now on the second.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I finished The Overstory. I found it quite tough going because there were so many characters and separate but interlinking stories. Plus, I felt it went on a bit.

I'm now reading The Dry because I needed a page turner and it is excellent for that!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Jane Harper is SO good.

PSA for any Anne Tyler fans: Redhead by the Side of the Road is currently £1.99 on Kindle.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm reading Redhead by the Side of the Road at the moment (library copy) and really enjoying it. It's the first Anne Tyler I've read and I'll definitley be reading more of hers.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Such a Fun Age, and really liked it. Now reading the latest Jessie Burton - The Confession.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m struggling with Hamnet. It’s so beautiful but I know it’s going to be heartbreaking so I don’t want to read it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I loved The Confession.

I haven't read any Anne Tyler, but have ordered Redhead by the Side of the Road now.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:00 pm I haven't read any Anne Tyler, but have ordered Redhead by the Side of the Road now.
Same.