On Your Bookshelf

lazzbo

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by lazzbo »

I've already blocked it out. Horrified, I were, à la Sal. :))
rosy

Post by rosy »

Pawpads wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:13 pm How are you finding it now, Rosy? I'm not particularly gripped yet either, but I"m sure that will change.
It got much better towards the end, I thought. I couldn’t drum up any empathy for most of the characters particularly the main ones, but I felt I had a better understanding of the reasons for Snow being what he became.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Daisy Jones and The Six, and really liked it. Looking forward to seeing how it’s adapted for TV/film. The don’t know much about Fleetwood Mac but it’s made me want to know more, since it does seem to be loosely based on them.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've just finished Rodham. I liked it, but I much preferred the first part set at college than the more modern stuff. The writing seemed a bit kind of forced and clunky at times, especially the dialogue. I'm not sure if this was on purpose and was supposed to say something about her being awkward, but it stopped me enjoying it so much. I also found it hard to care much for her as a character in the second part, as she seemed less like a person.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz - it's a golden age of crime style murder mystery and has a novel within a novel part set in the 1950s and part in the present day. I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty clever, but a bit on the long side as there were two sets of characters to get my head around.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ooh that sounds right up my street, Flora.

I'm on The Eleventh Day: The History and Legacy of 9/11 by Anthony Summers & Robbyn Swan. It's pretty distressing, to read as you can imagine, but a very comprehensive history of everything that happened afterwards when I wasn't paying much attention at the time and also dispenses with the conspiracy theory bollocks very concisely.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Yes, I think you'd love it, Lily.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm still in two minds about Rodham after your review, Ken.

I finished Little Fires Everywhere yesterday - loved it, it's my book of the lockdown so far. Now I'm rereading the Book of Dust before I start the Secret Commonwealth.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading Garnethill now. It’s very dark, but brilliant so far. I basically love a bit of Scottish crime.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 am I’m reading Garnethill now. It’s very dark, but brilliant so far. I basically love a bit of Scottish crime.
My friend used to live in Garnethill, its a nice part of the city.

Useless fact :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

lazzbo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:38 am I'm still in two minds about Rodham after your review, Ken.

I finished Little Fires Everywhere yesterday - loved it, it's my book of the lockdown so far. Now I'm rereading the Book of Dust before I start the Secret Commonwealth.
I think it's definitely worth a read, but not up there with her best. Maybe wait until it's a bit cheaper?
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished The Sight of You by Holly Miller.
5 stars from me on Goodreads and full on ugly, snot-bubble crying in parts which was not idea while lying in the garden.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

On kindle I have recently read:
Little Disasters - Sarah Vaughan - Essentially centres on post natal depression but a good story with a twist at the end.
The Second Wife - Rebecca Fleet - A good story - I did guess the ending though.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just started Justin Myers’ new one, The Magnificent Sons.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I finished The Eleventh Day which was mindboggling reading. I'm recovering :look: with the new Alex Marwood, The Poison Garden. I really, really want to do a re-read of a lot of the books on my shelf but I want to perform colonic irrigation of my Kindle, for want of a better phrase, first.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I think I might wait until the mythical reopening of libraries, Ken. But thanks for being our guinea pig! :))

I'm currently reading The Clasp which is laugh out loud funny.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I'm reading Big Sky by Kate Atkinson. TD asked if she also wrote A God in Ruins (which is on my headboard; he's not that precocious :)) ) and I had to think for a minute as they are so different. I do love the Jackson Brodie books. I'm 80% of the way through and there are so many strands getting come together. (Also, she writes good dogs.)
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My library had the Clasp so I've downloaded it, as laugh out loud funny sounds just what I need.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I hope you like it, Ken! I'm going to be stressed until you report back. :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: