On Your Bookshelf

sally maclennane

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by sally maclennane »

I love the JB books, but would take or leave her other stuff, as Bats says they're too vague for me.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have finished Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie, which I enjoyed and which really chilled me at the end (apart from one niggle nobody seems to know the answer to) and I am now on Fred Vargus: Have Mercy On Us All which is rather good. A town crier starts proclaiming the plague. A little too timely, maybe.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

lazzbo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am
I need some pure escapism so I'm reading The Last by Hanna Jameson and am loving it, fifty pages in.
The ending of this was beyond shite, so don't waste your time reading this, Turtles. Save yourselves!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm reading the new Mhairi McFarlane and really enjoying it, so thanks for the heads up, Lora!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I decided to try and finish The Wytch Elm while I was away. The pace was picking up and I left it in my hotel room. Will I ever find out what happened?🤪😂

I'll check it out the library once I finish the small pile I have here.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's so frustrating!
indigo

Post by indigo »

I started The Testaments last night. Loving it.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

indigo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:11 pm I started The Testaments last night. Loving it.
Oh, enjoy! It was my book of the year for 2019, digs. I couldn't get enough of it, read it in about 48 hours.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

That's on my 'maybe try this year' list. Wych Elm. Let me know how you get on when you've got to the end eventually, Duo. :)) I count you amongst 'people I trust on crime recs'.

I am on Jackson Brodie 4 and I've definitely read them all before except Big Sky. But now I suspect Jackson Brodie will be irritating me too much by the end of this one for me to bother getting hold of Big Sky. :))
indigo

Post by indigo »

lazzbo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:12 pm
indigo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:11 pm I started The Testaments last night. Loving it.
Oh, enjoy! It was my book of the year for 2019, digs. I couldn't get enough of it, read it in about 48 hours.
I've also got The Last in my to-read pile. :lol:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I read The Door into Summer by Robert Heinlein. I was drawn to it because there was a cat but it was only ok and had a quite creepy romance.

I'm now reading Timeline by Michael Crichton. I'm trying to tidy up all the nonsense on my Kindle.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

indigo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:20 pm
lazzbo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:12 pm
I've also got The Last in my to-read pile. :lol:
:)) It ain't a patch on The Testaments, that's fo' sho'!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:13 pm That's on my 'maybe try this year' list. Wych Elm. Let me know how you get on when you've got to the end eventually, Duo. :)) I count you amongst 'people I trust on crime recs'.
Hoi! I recommend it.

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just finished Motherwell, Deborah Orr’s autobiography, published posthumously. Truth be told, she always struck me as a bit of a nightmare, but I thought it was very interesting (and horribly sad). Mostly I just feel so sorry for her. The book seemed to end so suddenly, too, just as I thought we were getting to the heart of it all.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve finished Spring, and liked it a lot more than Winter. Now I’m reading My Brilliant Friend.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Motherwell is on my library reservation list.

I have just finished After The End by Clare Mackintosh. I nearly didn't read it as I thought it would be a Jodie Picoult-a-like, and much as I like her I wasn't in the mood for one of hers. But in fact it was incredibly good - very difficult to read, but well worth it. I need a bit of light relief now though.

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I loved My Brilliant Friend so much.

I'm trying to decide whether to splash out on the new Marian Keyes or wait until my library has it.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I read a total piece of fluff called California Girls this weekend while lounging with a sick child. Absolutely harmless and mindless.

Mum sent me a book a while back because she loved it. I looked at briefly and then put in a safe place. I can’t for the life of me find it now :ella:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I really couldn't get excited by the Brilliant Friend trilogy at all. I really tried and I feel sad that I didn't like the books as I think I've missed out.

I also read Girl by Edna O'Brien about girls stolen by Boko Harem (sp?) which was beautifully written but very disturbing, and am now on Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner.

Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I enjoyed My Brilliant Friend, but not enough to get round to reading the rest of them. I should really.

I've just finished In Extremis, the biography of war correspondent Marie Colvin by Lindsey Hilsum. It was fascinating, I really enjoy war/foreign correspondent memoirs anyway, but this was a particularly good one.