On Your Bookshelf

Wiggle

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Wiggle »

Are we allowed to include audiobooks on this thread? I tend to listen to books a lot because I work from home.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think it still counts as reading. There was a bit of a tiff on librarian Twitter about it last year.

I’ve got Winter by Ali Smith to read next. My other requests aren’t in at the library yet.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Lily wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am
Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 am Lily, why did you give The Coffin Path 2 stars? I am intrigued, I thought it was minimum a solid 4. :))
It was so long ago I can't remember, but I felt really cross and disappointed with it. I will try and give it another go if you feel I have done it a disservice.I wasn't aware there was a new Susan Hill - I will check it out. She has yet, beside Dolly, done anything (IMO) to equal The Woman in Black and I get cross and disappointed with her too.
Oh no, don't reread it because of me, we might just have different tastes. :)) I thought it was a little slow, so I could see how that might people off.

I don't know if the Susan Hill one I read is new. I've not read much of hers but Chicky reminded me to have a look recommending the Simon S-Thingy books last year. There was an adaptation of one of them on over Christmas as well, with the chap from Shetland in it. I might try and find it on catch up.

Twitter frequently has the audio book argument. It's funny. People can be such snobs. They definitely count, though. There's a Dean Burnett one that's available on Audible only, so I might have to plunge to free trial at some point.
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’m currently reading Crooked Heart by Lisse Evans. I read the prequel (Old Baggage) first, after hearing it discussed on R4. I think I preferred that, but will see.
indigo

Post by indigo »

I'm just starting 'Alice' by Christina Henry and it's right up my street.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am There was an adaptation of one of them on over Christmas as well, with the chap from Shetland in it. I might try and find it on catch up.
Not worth it! It was incredibly loosely adapted from The Small Hand and it wasn't remotely interesting, exciting nor spooky. I was gutted. Watch Martin's Close instead.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

So of we can include audiobooks then I am listening to The Secret Commonwealth and also The Subtle art of not giving a f*ck.
On Kindle I have The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How It's Broken which is proving to be quite a scary read.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I keep hovering over the Secret Barrister, Wiggle. I might give it a go if it is interesting.

Now audiobooks are included I will add Anne of Green Gables, which is my walking book.

Where do people get their audiobooks? I’m using the Audiobooks app because they are free :tight: and whilst the selection is wide, it’s fairly limited in terms of taste.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

MrMcLip has the Secret Barrister book, only the 4th book I’ve ever known him to buy to read.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I was using Audible but I’m about to cancel it as I’m not using it enough, I’ve got Michelle Obama’s book downloaded and two credits to use up. I might get the not giving a fuck book for one.

I’ve also got ‘This going to hurt’ to read, and ‘my brilliant friend’ which i started last year but didn’t finish.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Does everyone use Goodreads to log their books?

Should I do this?

I'm reading The Wife - Meg Wolitzer, and Big Sky by Kate Atkinson.
Malan
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I just keep a list in a notebook, I think I average about 25 books a year. I am going to set aside more time to read, I piss about online most evenings that I'm not out, and I could easily fit in more reading time.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

That was wild! I buy books from all over, but signed up to Good reads and imported some from Amazon. It was a story of my life!

There's Farmer Duck and other books I bought for SB1 when he was little, then all the horrible histories and more youth books. There's Ham on Rye that I bought for the ex when we spent our first Christmas together. Followed by pregnancy books and books on postnatal depression. Swiftly replaced by counseling books and those on assertiveness. All interspersed with Rebus, Beast Quest and other children's books! It's made me feel a bit tearful :lol:
Malan
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Marth wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm Does everyone use Goodreads to log their books?

Should I do this?
I do, because I love keeping an eye on what I've read, and I also have this infuriating habit of remembering lines/segments from a book and wanting to know where it's from, and not remembering the title of the book but remembering exactly where I was when I read it.... so that helps. :blah:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Wiggle wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:15 am Are we allowed to include audiobooks on this thread? I tend to listen to books a lot because I work from home.
I meant to reply to this and say that personally I lump “consuming books” together under a single umbrella whether I’m reading or listening.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am The only annoying thing about the ebook loan thing is I need to read them on my tablet, not my Kindle, and I'm less keen on the lighting on my tablet. #FirstWorldProblems. :))
Calibre will sort this for you.

Of course audio books count. I can't do them though as I find it really hard to concentrate on stuff I hear. My mum loves audible for their money back guarantee as she's constantly ringing them up and telling them exactly why she found a plot ludicrous or slow moving. :lol:

That's really nice, Marth. I love Goodreads as I cannot retain what books I've read so it's nice to have an easy method to check. And I like rating things too. And seeing what others are reading.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I love Goodreads for tracking what I’ve read and checking what I like when I’m in charity shops & the library.
Little My

Post by Little My »

That's an interesting flashback session, Marth! I signed up for Goodreads, but never got into it.

I'm currently reading An Anonymous Girl, continuing my suspense genre streak.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Kenickie wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 pm
Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 am The only annoying thing about the ebook loan thing is I need to read them on my tablet, not my Kindle, and I'm less keen on the lighting on my tablet. #FirstWorldProblems. :))
Calibre will sort this for you.
I tried, I failed. :)) The library books are ASCM, Calibre wouldn't recognise it and I don't have a posh enough version of Adobe to deal with it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Kenickie wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 pm My mum loves audible for their money back guarantee as she's constantly ringing them up and telling them exactly why she found a plot ludicrous or slow moving. :lol:
This is brilliant! I had one recently that was terrible, I don’t know if the narrator (correct term?) was the author but he was awful, really droning and dull. I should complain :idea: