On Your Bookshelf

Loralei

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Loralei »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 pm Is that Everything I Never Told You (Celeste Ng)?
That's the one :idea:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I read Silver Sparrow before an American marriage - that's what made me look for more of her work.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I quite liked that, Lily, although he came across as a bit overly defensive about some stuff.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Knots and Crosses was a bit basic in the end. Entertaining though and good to have the background on Rebus.

I’m reading Eight Detectives now.

I heard something like 600 books were published yesterday! I have a list of September launches I want to read, including Richard Osman’s book.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

The early Rebus books aren't as good, but like you say, they give the background.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It took next to no time to read, and was no worse than an early Morse. I’d like more Scotland in them though.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pm I heard something like 600 books were published yesterday! I have a list of September launches I want to read, including Richard Osman’s book.
Yes, I had a massive pile arrive yesterday from Amazon of stuff I'd pre-ordered and it gave me a bit of a surprise (a fair amount was for the kids as well though).

I finished Exciting Times yesterday and thought it was ok, but not as good as it had been made out to be.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I have just taken delivery of this. I’ve read the introduction and I’m already fuming. I’ll need to space it out I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I can’t bring myself to read her work.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:08 pmI heard something like 600 books were published yesterday! I have a list of September launches I want to read, including Richard Osman’s book.
I also fancy this. What else have you picked out, Pip? Edited highlights are fine. I have new Ann Cleeves Vera and new Jane Harper mentally bookmarked. I also have some birthday booktokens left over and quite fancy both of these:

Tomb with a View

Unofficial Britain

The Rebus books do improve, steadily, as you go along. :yes:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve been merrily ticking loads as “to read” on Goodreads, and now can’t remember a single one. :)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Eight Detectives last night. It was very well done, possibly a bit too clever.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 am I’ve been merrily ticking loads as “to read” on Goodreads, and now can’t remember a single one. :)
I have lightly stalked you on Goodreads. :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm reading Robert Webb's novel. It's ok, but was a bit depressing to start.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I liked Eight Detectives at the start but only ended up giving it 2 stars on Goodreads in the end.

I did however like Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club more than I expected.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just finished Three Things About Elsie, and it was really good, along the same lines as Elizabeth Is Missing, about an older lady struggling with her memory. I guessed the twist early on, but it was beautifully written. The author also wrote The Trouble With Goats and Sheep, which I’ve always wondered about, so will probably seek out soon.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Invisible Girl last might, it was ok, worth a read but nothing special.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve read that, Pip, & it was really good from what I remember :yes:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Kenickie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:31 am I quite liked that, Lily, although he came across as a bit overly defensive about some stuff.
Yes, he over-explained because I suspect he feels really awful about it. I heard Rose McGowan on his podcast - she was astonishing by the way - and he said he felt bad for not picking up the Savile thing. Rose replied, "Yes, you should feel bad." Which I thought was brave and quite unusual as normally people spew out platitudes.

I'm FINALLY on the not so new biography of Thomas Cromwell by Diarmud MacCulloch. I have been on the waiting list for A Year.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I think it's a good example of how men sound listen to women more (eg when he met some of the survivors and didn't really listen to what they had to say).