On Your Bookshelf

Edith Bacon

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Edith Bacon »

Not being able to read borrowed books on my kindle means they are a non-starter for me :cry:
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I adore Goodreads. I find it handy to remember what I have or have not read (especially good for book series which I read in fits and bursts) and I often find myself adding books to my "Want to read" list from what friends have read. It's also probably my most used app.

At the moment I am reading The Perfect Betrayal by Lauren North.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:24 pm
Kenickie wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:02 pm My mum loves audible for their money back guarantee as she's constantly ringing them up and telling them exactly why she found a plot ludicrous or slow moving. :lol:
This is brilliant! I had one recently that was terrible, I don’t know if the narrator (correct term?) was the author but he was awful, really droning and dull. I should complain :idea:
You should! I think normal people can do it online but they make my mum call them to explain now as she's asked for so many refunds. :lol:

You just need to get an add in for calibre and Adobe digital editions which is free.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Thanks Ken, I'll have a look through that. Also, last night R found an option to email books to Kindle from Libby, so all is not lost yet, Edith. :)) I've joined Manchester and Liverpool eBook libraries and the selection is pretty good, if not massively extensive. I've not looked at the audiobooks yet, but I quite fancy those for when I am peacefully knitting.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Thanks for that, Bats. I’ve just downloaded Libby and Spydus, which my library uses. I will have a play around and see what’s what.

I’ve just started re-reading Eating Less by Gillian Riley :80%mincepie:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have nearly finished The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta and will then start Scrublands by Chris Hammer (one of my SS gifts).
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I now have BorrowBox and RBDigital, which seem to have much better audio options. I started listening on my drive at the end of last year but the options on Kindle Unlimited were uninspiring.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

That's a very poignant journey down memory lane, Marth! I love GoodReads because I am a bugger for buying books I've already read :goldfish:

I was reading The Bookish Life of Nina Something but I binned it off (unusual for me) as the writing was terrible. I am now on A Million Dreams by Dani Atkins, which is about the aftermath of an IVF mix-up (although I suspect too fluffy to deal with it in any depth) but want to get through it as the Mhairi McFarlane was released on NYD. I should probably read something worthy after that :uhh:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oooh I didn't know there was a new Mhairi McFarlane!

My library uses borrow box and I actually mostly use my phone at the moment
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

My library uses borrowbox too although I'm not a fan of reading books on my phone.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I've started reading The Beekeeper of New York, thanks for the recommendation, I'm enjoying it so far.

I've not listened to many audiobooks (although I loved the Alan Partridge Autobiography on audiobook :lol: ) You've inspired me to look though. I've not read many classics as I'm a bit slow with the historical language but I might try to listen to some when I drive home from work.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I find the historical language and the stories in the classics very soothing. Like a balm for the world we live in.
happyhighlandcoo

I love the language and agree the classics are a balm. I just find myself having to reread sentences if I forgot to concentrate whereas with modern books I can gloss through sentences without fully reading them. Just found lots of free audiobook classics on the iPhone podcasts app which is great, it had never occurred to me to look.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I have never looked on there and use that app a lot! Thank you for sharing that.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Spotify seems to have audiobooks too.
happyhighlandcoo

Great to know there are books on Spotify. I'm definitely going to make it my driving home thing. As you say, the classics are a balm so it'll probably be quite soothing on the commute!
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Loralei wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 am I should probably read something worthy after that :uhh:
All books are worthy. :yes:

Except 50 Shades of Grey and possibly Twilight. :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 am
Loralei wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 am I should probably read something worthy after that :uhh:
All books are worthy. :yes:

Except 50 Shades of Grey and possibly Twilight. :))
And this god awful Maureen Lipman autobiography I had the misfortune to read.
Malan
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I want to read Scrublands too, Annabella.

I use Goodreads but don't link it to Amazon or log everything on it. I reread a lot and last year I have only got I think 15 books showing as read but in reality I spent most of the year rereading the entire Patricia Wentworth Miss Silver series which was 28 books I think.

I'm trying to do better this year, I've made a list of all the books I have bought or borrowed but not read yet so am going to work through those before I get anything else.

I'm currently reading a few at once.