Chicky

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Chicky »

Oh fab thanks Lorri!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Thank you Lorri! I love it, so will snap it up and recommend it to mum.

I am on Devil's Day again, just because I wanted to see if it was any better second time around.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I really struggled with Devil's Day and didn't care what happened in the end.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished The Mothers by Sarah J Naughton.
It was a fast easy read - and I did NOT see the twist coming.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I read You Left Early as a preparation for a life writing module on my course, and rattled through it as it was so well done. It is about a woman in love with a musician (double first from Oxford, successful career) who is a chronic alcoholic and drinks himself to death, despite all her attempts to 'cure' him.

She is a novelist (Louisa Young), so the book is well written and I really cared about both of them, even though he was a massive pain in the arse. It's on kindle for 99p for a limited time (it wasn't when I bought it :verm:) and worth a read, I think.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I read the Alexander McCall Smith version of Emma, and my god it was dreadful. No wonder the Austen Project stalled.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

lorri_b wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 pm Where the Crawdads Sing is 99p on Kindle if anyone has it on their list to read.
This was a very short lived price! :cry:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 am I read the Alexander McCall Smith version of Emma, and my god it was dreadful. No wonder the Austen Project stalled.
I know that I’ve read it and have no memory of it. Think you’re right
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Jupiter wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 pm I really struggled with Devil's Day and didn't care what happened in the end.
The problem is, I think, that he doesn't create particularly nice characters. All of them in Devil's Day, apart from possibly Kat, are dreadful individuals.

However, it did improve on re-reading and I liked it better. I then read The Night Shift Before Christmas by Adam Kay.

Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have finished nThe Furthest vStation by Ben Aaronovitch. It was a very short book but I enjoyed it all the same as I have read several others in the series and like the central characters.

I have now started Middlesex years after everyone else and am enjoying it so far.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I finished Timeline by Michael Crichton which was average, and The Familiars by Stacey Halls which got poor reviews on here I think but I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't exceptional but I didn't get bored. Then I read the first of a time travel series recommended by someone at work which was pretty bad and now I'm reading Daisy Jones and the Six which is great so far.
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

I’m listening to the five on audible and I agree with Lily’s comments re the safety net . It’s really good to hear the back stories.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished Don’t You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane. I really wanted to be friends with Georgina, the main character.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm currently reading The Five too - absolutely fascinating.

I've just finished (rattled through) Christopher Brookmyre - Fallen Angel. A great page turner.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished My Sister, the Serial Killer which I thought was pretty pants. And The Lido by LIbby Page which was ok, I enjoyed it mainly because it is set in an area I know very well (Brixton and Brockwell Lido) but there was something about the writing style that annoyed me a bit. And the author got a factual point about a bus route completely wrong, which irritated more than it should have done :geek:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The Lido made me cry a lot even though I knew it was a bit romcom, it’s written with an eye to TV/film.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I definitely had a tear in my eye at the end, Pip, even though it was all very predictable. I thought it needed a bit more of an edit - I got a bit bored with the Rosemary/ George reminiscences by the end but overall I enjoyed it.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Daisy Jones and The Six was really good.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:32 pm Daisy Jones and The Six was really good.
I have that, Bean, but I think it'll have to wait until after The Mirror and the Light.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm trying to get through my library books before I start The Mirror, like saving your favourite food until last. I put down The Confession by Jessie Burton after 2 chapters. It's so appallingly written! I am astonished.