On Your Bookshelf

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Lily »

Every time I try a Sophie Hannah I wind up being horribly disappointed.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’m reading Mix Tape by Jane Sanderson, which is really good so far & is partly set in Sheffield :love:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I really eat to like Sophie Hannah books and I have tried a lot. She was really nice to my mum & sister when we met her, and she’s generally great when I have heard her on the radio.

I’ve just finished The Confession. It was very good, but kind of unsatisfactory.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’ve just finished Everything I Never Told You and now I’m reading Holes.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Louis Sachar?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Yes. It’s on my 11 year old’s reading list and I realised I have never read it.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:07 am I discovered today that Tom Hanks has written a book of short stories. I am intrigued.
I bought this in a charity shop and read the first one and was :look: at the sex scenes. I don't expect Tom Hanks to write about that. :victorian: :no:

I need some pure escapism so I'm reading The Last by Hanna Jameson and am loving it, fifty pages in.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I liked Holes. And I am not generally a fan of Young Adult. I get cross with the characters for being immature. :))

I made it a third of the way through the only Sophie Hannah I tried, the Melody one. I have a relatively high tolerance for plot holes as long as the pace is fast but it was beyond me. That was till further than I got into The Woman in Cabin 10, though. :look:

I have started the Jackson Brodie books from the beginning. I am pretty sure I've read the first three and can just about remember how they ended, but I can't remember what happened to everyone in the middle. Kate Atkinson writes so beautifully.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Which is the first one, Bats? I haven’t enjoyed the KA books that I’ve read so far.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

In order:
1. Case Histories
2. One Good Turn
3. When Will There Be Good News?
4. Started Early, Took My Dog
5. Big Sky

Her 'proper'' novels can go a bit esoteric/vague/confusing in timeline for me, but the Jackson Brodie ones are mostly just exceedingly well written mysteries.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Thanks. I’ve read no3 and the museum one.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

lazzbo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:07 am I discovered today that Tom Hanks has written a book of short stories. I am intrigued.
I bought this in a charity shop and read the first one and was :look: at the sex scenes. I don't expect Tom Hanks to write about that. :victorian: :no:
LAZZBO!

I don't want to read sex scenes written by Tom Hanks. I may have to take the book off my reservation list; I thought he was above that kind of thing.

Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I think I have all the JB ones, Cerise, if you want a lend.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Cerise wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 am Which is the first one, Bats? I haven’t enjoyed the KA books that I’ve read so far.
This is interesting because I don't enjoy the Jackson Brodie ones at all - the Big Sky one I stopped reading, but her stand-alone novels I love.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I read When Will There Be Good News? very late in my pregnancy with J. I had to go in to be monitored for a while and I remember having to try not to launch the book across the ward yelling NEVER in answer to the title.

Thanks, Lora, but I’ll use the library if I feel the need. Save the postage! :))
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Libby has them all if you have access to that.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

LILY!

Consider yourself warned about Tom Hanks. :D
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Cerise wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am I read When Will There Be Good News? very late in my pregnancy with J. I had to go in to be monitored for a while and I remember having to try not to launch the book across the ward yelling NEVER in answer to the title.
I can't remember which one (possibly WWTBGN) but I read the one that starts with the murder of a toddler named Joseph just after my J had been born and remember having a good hormonal sob in the bath at the connection :)) (Not a spoiler; literally happens infirst coupleof pages.)
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Cerise wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am I read When Will There Be Good News? very late in my pregnancy with J. I had to go in to be monitored for a while and I remember having to try not to launch the book across the ward yelling NEVER in answer to the title.
I can't remember which one (possibly WWTBGN) but I read the one that starts with the murder of a toddler named Joseph just after my J had been born and remember having a good hormonal sob in the bath at the connection :)) (Not a spoiler; literally happens in first couple of pages.)
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Loralei wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am
I can't remember which one (possibly WWTBGN) but I read the one that starts with the murder of a toddler named Joseph just after my J had been born and remember having a good hormonal sob in the bath at the connection :)) (Not a spoiler; literally happens infirst coupleof pages.)
Seeing as our J’s are so close in age, it probably was that one!