On Your Bookshelf

Duophonic

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Duophonic »

Dark Matter - brooding and claustrophobic.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

sally maclennane wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:16 pm Now I am reading Where the Crawdads Sing, it is really well written but quite sad and I suspect it won't get cheerier :(
It is utterly beautiful though. :love2:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Elya wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 pm
Ella77 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm I’ve finished two more by Ann Patchett.

Bel Canto, which won the Orange prize way back when. Weird, weird, weird. Felt like nothing happened but also so much happened.

The Patron Saint of Liars. I LOVED this, and didn’t want it to end.
I may have already said this, but The Magician’s Assistant is my favourite Ann Patchett, closely followed by Patron Saint of Liars and then Run.
I LOVED The Magician’s Assistant! The title nearly put me off, so I’m glad I didn’t let it. Ann Patchett has a new book called Taft coming out in a couple of days, by the way.
Elya

Post by Elya »

I’m so glad! I love it so much. Annoyingly, I can’t find my copy otherwise I’d start re-reading it now!
Elya

Post by Elya »

I think Taft is quite an old one, no? I’m sure I’ve read it - oh, amazon tells me I bought it in 2002. I don’t remember it clearly but haven’t re-read - so I’m guessing I didn’t love it.

Have you come across her non-fiction ‘Truth and Beauty’? It’s about her friendship with another author (Lucy) who has a disfiguring condition and who died in her 20s/30s. I thought it was interesting although I did read an article by Lucy’s sister recently, who really hated the fact that AP wrote the book.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh, that’s weird. 27th Feb must be the Kindle release date? Her books are only just becoming available on Kindle by the look of it. It explains the old-fashioned cover art 😀.

I did see Truth and Beauty advertised but wasn’t sure if it would be any good. I’ll take a look!
indigo

Post by indigo »

Duophonic wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:25 pm Dark Matter - brooding and claustrophobic.
This is one of my very favourite books ever. I re-read it constantly.

I'm loving Red Queen but am very sad about some deaths and am hoping they are not what they seem.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I have re-read all of The Hunger Games in preparation for the new book coming out soon.
I have also read The Woman Who Wanted More by Vicky Zimmerman, A Gift For Dying by MJ Arlidge and Us Three by Ruth Jones.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

indigo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:11 am
Duophonic wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:25 pm Dark Matter - brooding and claustrophobic.
This is one of my very favourite books ever. I re-read it constantly.

I'm loving Red Queen but am very sad about some deaths and am hoping they are not what they seem.
There is a new Alice set of novellas coming out in April too. I’m going to preorder.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Pawpads wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:47 pm I have re-read all of The Hunger Games in preparation for the new book coming out soon.
I had totally forgotten about this :weewee:.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:12 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:16 pm Now I am reading Where the Crawdads Sing, it is really well written but quite sad and I suspect it won't get cheerier :(
It is utterly beautiful though. :love2:
I just finished it, and I absolutely agree, it was gorgeous and such a gripping story. It was so well written, and thought provoking, there were a couple of little parts that were so subtle but beautiful like Jumpin with the book :cry:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

Yes, Sal, so poignant! :cry: That and Beartown were my favourite books last year.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I found an Ann Patchett in my favourite charity bookshop so picked it up based on this thread.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Which one?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

So I finished Lethal White the very large hardback edition I had bought two years ago. I do love Cprmaron Strike but in some ways felt the story was bit drawn out in the first half and then rushed to a conclusion in the second half. Will be good to see the TV adaptation later in the year.

Yesterday in just the one day I read The Hunting Party on kindle. A very enjoyable whodunit

Now I am reading one of the Rivers series - the last stop? will confirm the proper title later - it is a slim volume
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Annabella wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:26 pm
Yesterday in just the one day I read The Hunting Party on kindle. A very enjoyable whodunit
I'm half way through and enjoying this. I dislike most of the characters though, so don't mind too much who dies!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I liked that!
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished a biography of Bess of Hardwick and her building projects which I was given for my birthday - it was pretty dull to be honest.

Now on My Sister, the Serial Killer. Not especially enjoying it so far, but it is mercifully short so I think I'll finish it. I'm trying to read more up to date stuff.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry.

It was brilliant although it took me a long time to read it.
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Where the Crawdads Sing is 99p on Kindle if anyone has it on their list to read.