On Your Bookshelf

wendy james

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by wendy james »

I loved it, as usual.

And while I was looking to download it, I discovered Chris Whitaker released another book earlier in the year so that’s next on the list.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've finished The Survivors now. It was really good. Not the Lost Man good but still really good.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I haven't finished it yet but I'm loving it.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I was disappointed at first that it wasn't set in the outback but she does atmosphere so well.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Is Tana French good?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Turtle Bean wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:12 pm I was disappointed at first that it wasn't set in the outback but she does atmosphere so well.
I liked the multiple references to women’s lived experiences.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Me too, very much.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I have the Survivors to read once I finish Troubled Blood but that is taking me ages :verm:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Me too, Sal, although I loved Troubled Blood and didn't want to get to the end; I read it in a three days but do have a lot of time for such things at the moment :uhh:

I am reading a few Quick Reads before starting on The Survivors. I waited so long for RG and JH to release new material and am irrationally annoyed that they both arrived in the same week, so want to space them out but without committing to a long book. I'm currently on Notting Hill Carnival: A West Side Story by Candice Carty Williams, which is excellent. I also read The Donor by Claire Mackintosh, who I usually like, but found it a little mawkish.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I've just finished Such A Fun Age which I started yesterday and could not have loved it more. Such an excellent take on race, privilege, careers, adulthood, all of it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. My colleague loves anything to do with time travel and she lent it to me. It’s not really time travel, it’s a man repeating life again & again, and I really enjoyed it. Although the science bits were slightly annoying. I’d never have picked it up if it weren’t for J though, so I’m very grateful.
sally maclennane

I finished Troubled Blood last night, I enjoyed it although I found some of the description of the crimes quite grim (and I read a lot of crime stuff). And of course it was way too long!

Survivors now :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I also finished yesterday. :dotty:

I totally agree about the crime descriptions. Also, she got 80% of the way through by just saying 'torture' with no further details so it felt especially unnecessary.

I really enjoyed the story and thought it was a good solution etc, but it was unbearably repetitive.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:48 pm I have the Survivors to read once I finish Troubled Blood but that is taking me ages :verm:
I finished the Survivors the other day and moved onto Troubled Blood :)) It is incredibly long.
sally maclennane

Kenickie wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:42 am I also finished yesterday. :dotty:

I totally agree about the crime descriptions. Also, she got 80% of the way through by just saying 'torture' with no further details so it felt especially unnecessary.
Yes, now you mention it, it was towards the end which seems pointless.

There was a lot of repetition, someone needs to edit her books!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I have just finished Troubled Blood and the The Survivors :dotty: I love RG so don't mind the books being overly long; I'm always disappointed to finish. JKR definitely does foreshadowing better than Jane Harper; I never get the feeling that I should have guessed the solution with the latter, but Troubled Blood laid a lot of breadcrumbs when I looked back.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Yes, it was well set up for the solution but the trouble is that some of the things that seemed strange to me I just dismissed as bad writing/poor editing. ;)
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm on the Thursday Murder Club now. It's ok but there's something about the writing which is annoying me a bit but I'm not sure what.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I loved Harry August, Pippo. What other time travel books does your colleague recommend? I'm currently reading The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells which is also time travel and quite good.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ll ask her for you Beab. She raves about the Time Traveller’s Wife, but I’ve never fancied it. I’m glad you’ve read Harry August too! I really liked Harry, then went off him, then liked him again by the end.