On Your Bookshelf

sally maclennane

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Lethal White, it was still too long and rambling. I have downloaded Queenie now.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I read The Hypnotist’s Love Story during a very sleepless night. I enjoyed it, it was very Liane Moriarty, with the twist reveal coming early and things getting neatly tied up, but I like that about her books.

I’ve started Resolution by Denise Mina now and just realised I’ve missed out the middle book in the trilogy.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I finished Lucy Foley's Guest List and really enjoyed it, so much so that I stayed up late on a school night to finish it.

I'm now on to

Kim Gordon - Girl in a Band - Autobiography. I don't read enough biographies.
Graeme Macrae Burnet - The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau

Both are short books so should rattle through them in no time.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

I'd be interested in how you found the the GMB one, Duo, I really liked His Bloody Project but wasn't keen on his other one (The Accident on A35).

I finished Queenie last night and really enjoyed it. I have pre ordered the new Mark Billingham which comes out tomorrow so I'm looking forward to reading that.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading China Rich Girlfriend, because it was 99p on kindle when I ran out of books.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have just finished City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was a good romp for the first 80% (1940s America showgirls and life in NYC) then the last part did the reveal of why the Narrator had started the story in the first place and I really did not connect at all.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I'm reading The Most Fun we Ever Had and really enjoying it. It reminds me of The Dutch House so I think a lot of people here will like it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Thanks Purp, I’ve added it to my list.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

purple_dress wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 pm I'm reading The Most Fun we Ever Had and really enjoying it. It reminds me of The Dutch House so I think a lot of people here will like it.
I loved it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:20 pm I'd be interested in how you found the the GMB one, Duo, I really liked His Bloody Project but wasn't keen on his other one (The Accident on A35).

I finished Queenie last night and really enjoyed it. I have pre ordered the new Mark Billingham which comes out tomorrow so I'm looking forward to reading that.
And I started Queenie last night.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

The Vanishing Half was really good as well!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 pm
purple_dress wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 pm I'm reading The Most Fun we Ever Had and really enjoying it. It reminds me of The Dutch House so I think a lot of people here will like it.
I loved it.
Oh maybe it was you who originally recommended it? If so then thanks! I was waiting for it to come out in paperback so it's been on my list for a while.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I wittered in about it a while ago, but now I’ve ordered the sample of The Vanishing Half, so thank you.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

I just took delivery of the last novel in the Rachel Cusk trilogy I've been reading. It took me a while to get into the first book but I am fully on board now. There are so many passages where she just seems to perfectly nail some aspect of experience; I almost want to underline them in pencil or something, which isn't an impulse I often have.

I've also got The Most Fun We Ever Had thanks to purple_dress's recommendation. I've had a peek already and I'm looking forward to it immensely.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:20 pm I'd be interested in how you found the the GMB one, Duo, I really liked His Bloody Project but wasn't keen on his other one (The Accident on A35).
I finished The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau and it was a slow burn. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't grabbed at the beginning and persevered due to it only being 225 pages. The interesting thing is, and I don't consider this a spoiler, it's a translation and it's not made apparent until the afterword.

The Accident on A35 is the sequel to The Disappearance.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

I'll give it a miss i think.

I finished Cry Baby tonight, it was good, as most MB books are. It was also set in the mid 90s which was quite amusing with no mobile phones, no sat nav etc.

I was thinking about Scabby Queen next as I have seen good reviews of it t. However, I have downloaded a sample of Girl, Woman, Other so I'll read that first.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I loved Girl, Woman, Other.

I am reading Olive Kitteridge, as she seemed popular here.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I loved Queenie. It was so sad, as well as being very funny and real.
Malan
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Marth wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 am I loved Queenie. It was so sad, as well as being very funny and real.
Yes, it really was. I like the relationships between the characters. On a very personal note, the panic stuff particularly about eating, was very relevant to me. I was reading it and going OMG THAT’S EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! (Sometimes)

I’m now reading Pretending by Holly Bourne.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've hardly done any reading over the last few weeks and have lots of books on these pages I want to reserve from the library! I've just finished The White Farm Murders about the Bamber killings. It's very thorough and I must say I am doubting Bamber's guilt simply due to the lack of evidence. I'm now on the Gentleman in Moscow one I've seen warnings about elsewhere!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored