Things I hate in books

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Things I hate in books

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I really hate it when each chapter starts with a couple of lines from a poem/other story, as if you’re meant to figure out a clue from it.

Yeah, guess what I’m reading? :))
Heebie Jeebie

Re: Things I hate in books

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I hate that too and always skip them.

I hate books written in the present tense. It seemed to become popular in chick lit a while ago and it's so irritating. I refuse to read any book written that way.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Also overuse of foreign words in italics.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I really hate overly long descriptions of things, especially lots of flowery words to describe the scenery or what someone is wearing. Just get to the dialogue already!!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Like croissant? It drives me mad.

I hate big chunks of poetry. I always skip it, sorry.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

In Where The Crawdads Sing, I skipped all the poetry except the last bit because it was clearly quite crucial. But it was all dreadful.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm Like croissant? It drives me mad.
Yes and also general language, like maybe putting a Spanish job title when "receptionist" would do just fine.

Dream sequences too, I never read them. I'm quite grumpy about books actually.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Panda wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:21 pm I really hate overly long descriptions of things, especially lots of flowery words to describe the scenery or what someone is wearing. Just get to the dialogue already!!
Yes, but I hate having to go back over dialogue to check who said what!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I hate dialect/slang (in normal books). The woman in Elizabeth George’s books always says “c’n” instead of “can” and I hate it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Agreed with lots of this - Daisy Jones and the Six, why put all the lyrics and no melody?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm
Ella77 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm Like croissant? It drives me mad.
Yes and also general language, like maybe putting a Spanish job title when "receptionist" would do just fine.

Dream sequences too, I never read them. I'm quite grumpy about books actually.
Yes to all of this!

There’s a thing Lionel Shriver does- I think it’s called an ablative absolute?- where she writes “Absent any [plans for the weekend/food in the fridge, she ...” Once you’ve noticed it you see that she does this about 50 times per book :twitch:.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Chicky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pm I hate dialect/slang (in normal books). The woman in Elizabeth George’s books always says “c’n” instead of “can” and I hate it.
This too.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Ooh yes, and also when they don’t include who is saying what in the dialogue. I

I also struggle a lot with symbolism in books - I read Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit at college and there was lots of knowing looks and enthusiastic nods in class about how this symbolised that and that represented this, and how it was just rife with sex and naughtiness. I just nodded along and then had to ask a friend afterward to explain what the hell it all meant. I am as deep as a puddle though :)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My mum had to have Animal Farm explained to her. She really thought it was about pigs.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm My mum had to have Animal Farm explained to her. She really thought it was about pigs.
That's amazing - and I thought I was literal :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

She’s really special. She also fell out of a yoga class.
Roma

Post by Roma »

Open endings. It always feels like a cop- out to me and it’s so frustrating coming to the end of a book and not having a proper ending.

I also dislike the going on about the scenery for too long and unnecessary foreign words or sentences in particular if it’s a language I’m not familiar with and I’m having to find a translation :verm:
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Yes to foreign language in general. Even if I understand it, it brings me right out of the story to wonder what the author is trying to prove.
Heebie Jeebie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm Dream sequences too, I never read them.
YES :drill: At least 10 years ago I stopped reading (or watching - TV and movies) them altogether. It is SUCH lazy storytelling.*

This isn’t books, but before I stopped reading gofugyourself I got so annoyed by the “not for nothing” phrase, they had it in at least every other post.

In actual books, much like dream sequences I don’t read fight sequences either. Game of Thrones was utterly dull for this. Pages and pages of oh it looks like he’s winning but surprise it’s actually the other one. YAWN. I lost absolutely nothing skipping to the end.

*And as an accomplished writer of a bajillion terrible short stories when I was 14, all of which are basically dream sequences and saved on a now-corrupt Zip drive, you know I am the person who gets to judge this. :snooty:
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Roma wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 pm Open endings. It always feels like a cop- out to me and it’s so frustrating coming to the end of a book and not having a proper ending.
Oh my God this! I read a book a couple of years ago that had two female names in the title - a mother and daughter I think and it ended so abruptly. I was left wondering if the last chapter had fallen out or something.

I also always skip poetry. It’s always a bit earnest and cringes me out.
Last edited by olive on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Roma wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 pm Open endings. It always feels like a cop- out to me and it’s so frustrating coming to the end of a book and not having a proper ending.
I love an open ending!!i just decide what should happen, or accept that there aren’t many definitive endings in real life.