Kindle Chat - which one?

Disco

Kindle Chat - which one?

Post by Disco »

As discussed on The Book Nook, I am in the market to get a Kindle. I've never had a book reader before but I would like one.

Please feel free to tell me which model you have, what you like about it, advise me which model I should get etc etc Just feel free to chat about their pros and cons and what to look out for.

Thank you!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Re: Kindle Chat - which one?

Post by baargain »

I have the kindle oasis. It had a detachable case with an extra battery in it. Its really nice and light, and has a mini wedge bit on one side that makes it nice to hold. The screen flips, so you can hold it in either hand. It has a light up screen, which I really like to have for reading at night. I also like that it has clicky page turning buttons. I wouldn't like a touchscreen only one, as I'd have to use both hands to read (I do use the touchscreen occasionally). I like that I can read with one hand, so I can roll myself up in the duvet on my side.

I wouldn't live without it now, I always have books ready to read, and it's so easy. I read way more since I got my first kindle.
Last edited by baargain on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just checked, and I got my first Kindle in early 2011, so I’ve used one almost constantly for 10 years. I think they’re so good.

My current one I got in 2015, meaning that it’s way older than I thought. It’s a Voyage, but they don’t make those any more. What I like about it:

- it’s 3G and WiFi. These are more expensive, but I’ve been able to download books in the wilds of Costa Rica on the 3G connection (when there was no wifi). Unless there’s a huge price difference, I don’t think I’d get a wifi-only one in future.

- adjustable backlight. So useful in the evenings.

- haptic buttons as well as touch-screen. The buttons just feel really intuitive.

My favourite feature is probably being able to order a free sample of almost any book so you can read a few pages before deciding whether to buy it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I don’t actually know which one I have, but it’s my second and I was sad not to be able to get the case with integrated light that I had with my first.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mine has just taken the utter, utter piss and started doing this without my permission, so I might retract my compliments :)). Rude.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Mine is a very standard wifi only 8th gen one. I went to check. No longer available. It does the job ok, but Ella is right about being able to download on the go. If we’re ever on the go again.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I think mine is WiFi only, but I tether it to my phone (hahaha roaming charges abroad though) . I have 700+ books on it at the moment :)) so I always have something to read, although if I want something NOW, I can't do that unless I can use phone data or find WiFi.

I've just checked, and adding 3g was a lot more money, and the Oasis is quite pricey anyway, so I think that might be why I only have WiFi.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think back when I bought mine it was about £20 difference, but it looks like it’s a lot more now!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I have a kindle paperwhite too and I wouldn’t be without it even though I was very resistant to it initially. It’s small, slim and light which I love. My MIL has the kindle fire which I found really clunky by comparison.

I still buy the odd book but like Ella I love being able to download samples and it’s been a godsend for travel and holidays. (One day I’ll use it for that again).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

If forgotten the keyboard :idea:! Yes, I used mine for really basic internet browsing abroad for free. It was so clunky, but it worked.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Yes! Me too! I was in the keyboard club too, so clunky. :))
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks all.

Ok so with the 3G which I would like, and "without ads" - I assume "with ads" means there is some kind of ad banner?? - it's quite expensive so I will wait for a bit of money off I think. I didn't realise they cost that much! £220!
Disco

Post by Disco »

Maybe I won't go for the 3G and will just be prepared/ will tether it to my phone if required. That knocks £60 off the price.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I haven't particularly missed 3g, I do just make sure I'm prestocked.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yeah, I think I will do that. It's a much more palatable price that way.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I would wait until there is an offer. The Oasis was about £160 last time it was on sale. I’m waiting for it to go on sale again then I will snap one up.

I’ve got a 4th or 5th generation one from 2012. It still works but the battery only lasts about 3 evenings of solid reading. I ordered a Paperwhite once & sent it straight back as I didn’t like the touchscreen so I like the idea of the page turn buttons on the Oasis. I’ve had 2 Kindle Fires too, both sold on or sent back :)) They are just a normal tablet & no good for reading.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I have the kindle fire, as I wanted a tablet too, not just a reader, I like it. It’s insanely cheap on Amazon at the moment, only £50, mine was £70. I find it fine for reading, although I’ve never had any other sort of kindle so have nothing to compare it too?

That was with ‘special offers’ which means the Lock Screen has ads on it. However, I could, last year, pay an extra tenner once I had the device to unsubscribe to them, which still made it really cheap, double check if you can still do that though.

Whichever kindle you go for, it’s worth signing up to bookbub - tell them what sort of books you like and you get a daily email with a selection of free or very cheap ebook offers available. Get a free sample first though, some are free for a reason. :lol:
Last edited by Hobbes on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I paid the extra to avoid ads.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Disco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 pm Thanks all.

Ok so with the 3G which I would like, and "without ads" - I assume "with ads" means there is some kind of ad banner?? - it's quite expensive so I will wait for a bit of money off I think. I didn't realise they cost that much! £220!
The paper white is current £130 without ads, 8gb WiFi connection, no 3G though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Kindle- ... th=1&psc=1
Disco

Post by Disco »

I will wait for an offer/ sale definitely.

How many books can 8GB hold? I know that's a bit how long is a piece of string!