Kindle Chat - which one?

Roma

Re: Kindle Chat - which one?

Post by Roma »

I have a Paperwhite and love it. It’s light and a great size and the backlight can be adjusted.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Disco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 pm I will wait for an offer/ sale definitely.

How many books can 8GB hold? I know that's a bit how long is a piece of string!
I am pretty sure mine is 8gb, and I have about 700 books on it. I don't know how much space I have left.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ok! That's good then! I was thinking I would have to go for a 32gb.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

I just googled, and I can fit 6000 books on it :lol:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I had a kindle 4 which I liked but was heavy and the battery stopped charging. So I bought a paperwhite, which I like for the light and the weight of it, but I miss the buttons and I really, really don’t like the way collections and books are organised on it. I paid extra for no ads which I think is worth it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Great thanks. I definitely will be ok with an 8gb one! Good.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I also have a Paperwhite and love it. I really like the dullness of the screen, being much less shiny and brain dazzling than a phone or tablet. I love being able to read in bed with no brightness and very calm screen.

I sort of wish it had buttons to turn the pages but only because if I'm reading in bed, I don't want to have to move my arms too much to turn pages. Lazy.

It is also very light and doesn't hurt if you fall asleep and drop it on your own face :))
Disco

Post by Disco »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 am I really like the dullness of the screen, being much less shiny and brain dazzling than a phone or tablet. I love being able to read in bed with no brightness and very calm screen.
This is definitely a big reason I didn't want to use the kindle app on my ipad. I don't want the bright glare.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I would pay the extra for the Paperwhite. I have the more basic model but it's a bit heavier (which matters when you are cocooned in your duvet) and doesn't have a light. As Hobbes said, the ads are only on the lock screen, they don't interfere with the reading screens at all, but I paid to do without and I still love the literature-related pictures you get instead :love: You can pay the extra £10 to remove them at any time.

I love my Kindle so much. I too had one of the early 3G ones with a keyboard; I remember using it to get on here when I was in Rhodes in 2012 :)) While the proper readers are way better than reading on a phone or tablet, I also like the fact I can access whatever I'm reading if I'm unexpectedly waiting somewhere, as it will be on my phone.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I also had a 3G keyboard one, but S got me a Paperwhite a couple of Christmases ago, and it is a lot lighter and easier to read. I loved the original one, but when I got it I don't think phone contracts were as likely as now to be unlimited, so now I wouldn't bother with 3G and just download to the app on my phone if I needed to, then put it onto the kindle when I was in reach of wifi. I have downloaded to it by tethering to my phone, but in the Lakes, not abroad :)).

The Paperwhite ones are waterproof, so if you want to read in the bath or by the pool you can relax. Also, you can listen to Audible on them if you bluetooth them to a speaker.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the storage, as everything you buy is saved on Amazon, so you can add and remove things as much as you like. You can easily get hundreds of books on one, and in the unlikely event that you filled it up you can just shuffle them around a bit so the ones you've read go back to the cloud and you download different ones. I've filled mine before when I downloaded a million Audible books for reasons that make no real sense.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve got a paperwhite and I love it. I got one with ads as they aren’t intrusive, they just show up on the loading screen. You can also pay later to take them off if they annoy you. I got the 3G version too, with no roaming data now in Europe I would buy it again (not that I intend to travel much!).

My friend got the oasis after a few years of using the paperwhite and she couldn’t get on with it at all, she said it was too bulky.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I got my original 3g keyboard one on in 2011 and like others used it to browse turtle look up maps etc very clunky in Florida that year

I then got the Voyage with the haptic page turner buttons in 2014 for my 40th

My next one will be a waterproof one as currently I put it in a waterproof holder which is really awkward

I regularly trawl the free books plus as a prime member I get one free new book download a month. The choice is endless

I don't pay for prime reading
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've got a bog standard one. I stock up in WiFi before I go on holiday. I never wanted a back lit one as they bother my eyes so went for the cheapest available model. It's absolutely fine for my requirements.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

They do one now with a built in front light. The bloke has it. Looks nice. I have a paperwhite which I really like. Just WiFi.
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

What does it mean when they have 3G? Do you have to pay for a subscription / sim?
Skips

Post by Skips »

The newer bog standard ones have a light on them. I know the paperwhite is waterproof but I didn't need that when I needed a new one so went with the standard. I went for with ads and, as others have said, it's just on the loading screen and I never notice what is on them.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks I'm definitely getting a paperwhite, 8gb, just wifi when there is a sale and will pay to not have adverts on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I had the original keyboard one with 3G but my current one just has WiFi and I've never missed the 3G. I've got the ads on mine but it doesn't bother me as I use a cover and close it when I stop reading so I never see the ads.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Disco

Post by Disco »

It's arrived :frolic: It's tiny, isn't it! I thought it was a joke :)) I like it. It's charging and I've started reading a book about the Mitfords on it. I'm going to usurp George from the armchair - hoping he'll settle back down on my lap - and read while under a blanket and cat (hopefully).
Lola

Post by Lola »

Kindles are on offer today so I have ordered an Oasis :perky: