Book Notes

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Book Notes

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell yesterday. It was pretty good though I was prepared for one more twist than it had.

Now onto The Cows by Dawn O’Porter.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

You can tell I’m on holiday, I’ve finished The Cows already. It was really good.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I LOVED The Paper Palace.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Just chatting to myself, reading ALL the books. :blah: The Magician’s Assistant was very good. I was worried something awful would happen in it for a while. I’d like to read something that doesn’t allude to childhood/domestic abuse in any form.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I read Yinka, Where Is Your Huzband? by Lizzie Damilola Blackburn. It was enjoyable enough but not great. Then I read Death of a Painter. I know this was written by the husband of a Turtle, so I would not be mentioning it unless I enjoyed it. I did very much, it was quite different and the characters were engaging (even the not so nice ones). I will now get the second book.

I am in the middle of The Paper Palace and enjoying that very much too
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I couldn't get on with The Paper Palace. I had a kindle edition that was all over the place so I just gave up.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I am plodding through Prep. I’m a bit bored now so hoping to finish it today.
Last edited by Cerise on Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:04 pm I really liked that, Pip. I am reading Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford, its about 5 children killed in a bombing, during the Blitz, but it imagines how their lives would have turned out if they'd lived. It took me a bit to get into but now I really like it.
I've finally finished this (it took me ages!) and really didn't get on with it overall. It just felt very disjointed to me and the individual stories didn't really hang together - I thought they would intertwine much more. There were a couple of parts I really did enjoy and thought I was getting into it, but then it would jump about again.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I've just finished Cat Lady by Dawn O'Porter. I'm not going to read any more of her books , I just don't like her writing.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I gave up with Dawn O'Porter. I didn't like her style either.

I'm currently on Six Days in Leningrad by Paulina Simons which is about her research for The Bronze Horseman et al. I'm really enjoying it. Before that I read an incredible book of short stories: You Have A Friend in 10A by Maggie Shipstead. I didn't like the first one and almost gave up but I'm so glad I didn't at the rest of them blew me away. Fantasic stuff.

I also quite enjoyed Family of Liars but not as much as the first novel, primarily because I knew where it was going.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I just finished The Mermaid of Black Conch and despite it really sounding like my kind of thing, I didn’t love it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Flora Poste wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:11 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:04 pm I really liked that, Pip. I am reading Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford, its about 5 children killed in a bombing, during the Blitz, but it imagines how their lives would have turned out if they'd lived. It took me a bit to get into but now I really like it.
I've finally finished this (it took me ages!) and really didn't get on with it overall. It just felt very disjointed to me and the individual stories didn't really hang together - I thought they would intertwine much more. There were a couple of parts I really did enjoy and thought I was getting into it, but then it would jump about again.
I know what you mean, it was a bit disjointed.

I have just finished another Val McDermid, the last in that series. I liked having a whole series to work through, she has a new book out in August (different series). I'm probably just going to wait for the new Chris Brookmyre book to come out next week as i have a backlog of Guardian magazines that I keep saying I'm going to read :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I finished the second Thursday Murder Club and much preferred it to the first.

Now I'm reading Heatwave, appropriately. It's translated from the French, I can almost argue that reading it counts as CPD.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm I finished Commonwealth today and really enjoyed it. I loved Franny, she was such a good character.
I've just downloaded this from the library .

I still feel slightly traumatised from reading A Fine Balance
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

lazzbo wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:58 pm Now I'm reading Heatwave, appropriately. It's translated from the French, I can almost argue that reading it counts as CPD.
Is it weird reading the translation? I read a few English books in French years ago and it's quite interesting thinking about what the original text must have been and how much they adapt beyond simple translations.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I didn't last long with the Guardian magazines, and have downloaded Dirt Town by Haley Scrivenor, a crime novel set in Australia. It's a bit Jane Harper-ish but not quite as good. Still very enjoyable though.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I finished the Paper Palace and did love it - is the ending meant to be ambiguous or am I missing something obvious.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It's meant to be ambiguous/ you imbue it with whatever works for you, I think.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Thanks Ella, that makes me feel like I didn't miss anything
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just finished Fallen Angel by Chris Brookmyre, and it was another classic of his. I love how odd characters from other novels pop up.