Book Notes

Dutchie

Re: Book Notes

Post by Dutchie »

sally maclennane wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:57 pm I finished Ginger and Me, and I enjoyed it. I'm now reading The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell which is really good but I kind of wish I'd reread The Family Upstairs first as I can't remember some of the storyline, and TFR is a sequel to it.
Oooh I now want to read the Family Remains next! I loved the Family Upstairs.

I've finished Yours Cheerfully and have started The Murders At Fleat House by Lucinda Riley.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I’ve just finished Treacle Walker by Alan Garner - I love his writing but the allegory and fable went completely over my head.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I don’t like Lucy Mangan. Is her book better than her Guardian articles? :look:

I’m re-reading Life After Life, after watching the recent TV series. I’d forgotten how funny it is.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Lola wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:24 pm I don’t like Lucy Mangan. Is her book better than her Guardian articles? :look:
I don’t know. :))
Lola

Post by Lola »

:))

She writes tv reviews in what she thinks is a hilarious way & gives everything a low rating. Except she’s not quite as funny as she thinks she is ;)
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:57 pm I finished Ginger and Me, and I enjoyed it. I'm now reading The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell which is really good but I kind of wish I'd reread The Family Upstairs first as I can't remember some of the storyline, and TFR is a sequel to it.
Ginger and Me is on my list
Malan
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Marth wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 pm
The author is a friend of a friend :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:40 pm
Marth wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 pm
The author is a friend of a friend :))
How excellent. I've reserved it from my library.
Malan
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve finished Daisy Jones and am now very much looking forward to watching the Amazon series of it which is coming soon. I think I’ll buy Evelyn Hugo next.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I just finished The Paper Palace and loved it. I was pissed off with having to work meaning I had to put it down for most of the day. I think I enjoyed it more having been to Cape Cod and getting some of the references.

I’m getting a bit sniffy about the quality of writing these days and this felt solid and well written and edited. Loads of writers these days seem to treat books like podcasts and it’s just poorly edited streams of consciousness.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I just finished The Paper Palace and loved it. I was pissed off with having to work meaning I had to put it down for most of the day. I think I enjoyed it more having been to Cape Cod and getting some of the references.

I’m getting a bit sniffy about the quality of writing these days and this felt solid and well written and edited. Loads of writers these days seem to treat books like podcasts and it’s just poorly edited streams of consciousness.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Anne Tyler’s The Amateur Marriage this morning. It was kind of unsatisfying. Still good though, as she always is.
sally maclennane

I finished The Family Remains and enjoyed it. I'm now rereading Troubled Blood, the last Strike book before the new one comes out.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ll need a recap please Sal. :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I read The Paper Palace and enjoyed it although some bits were a bit irritating.

I’m now reading Notes On A Scandal which I now think I’ve read before but will carry on anyway.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just finished Cult Classic by Sloane Crossley, and I loved it, although parts felt as though they came straight out of my brain.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley. It feels a bit typical thriller so far, but I’m enjoying reading about it being cold.
sally maclennane

I read that a few months ago, Pip, it was very readable.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I liked it too. I need a new book :bite:.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm reading Harlem Shuffle by Colston Whitehead and am really enjoying it - set in 1960s Harlem, it's about a man spanning the criminal and non-criminal worlds. No idea how it's going to end.