Book Notes

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Re: Book Notes

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:19 am I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Marth! I found it quite an uncomfortable read - very confronting. I loved the writing style and dark humour.
I've finished it now. I'm with you. It was so uncomfortable in places, with such unhealthy dynamics. Yet I felt there were other aspects (as you said) that were humourous and of course very astute about being a young black women in that world. I really enjoyed it. I think she hasn't written anything else (yet).
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Ah, we agree. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I'd definitely be keen to read anything else she writes. I thought it was pretty original and very brave writing.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

It's 99p on kindle, so have bought it! I like reading uncomfortable books :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Disco wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:31 pm I'm interested to hear your thoughts on The Radium Girls too Wedndle.
It was a very interesting story but I’m not sure if I liked the author’s writing style. It didn’t detract too much though - I’d still read the book I originally fancied.
Marth

Post by Marth »

purple_dress wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 pm Ah, we agree. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I'd definitely be keen to read anything else she writes. I thought it was pretty original and very brave writing.
Oddly it kind of reminded me of those "women's lib" American novels of the 70s and 80s, (that I loved at the time) where all the focus in the women's lives were on the men, but then conscious raising occured and the men became weak and very secondary and impotent characters.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Maybe not oddly, actually.
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

He was very unlikeable.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I just finished The Map Of Us by Jules Preston.

It was a little bit confusing in the beginning as so many characters but they are interesting enough to make you keep reading and then it all starts to come together. I loved it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I am also reading Luster and agree with much that has been said here - although I have not finished it yet. BUT how many times does she say (write) "segue" - is it a thing that I am missing (only about half way through the book)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading Transcendent Kingdom at the moment. It’s not quite what I expected. A lot of detail about mouse brains.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Thanks Wendy! I've just started The Three Body Problem, a Chinese sci-fi story.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

My husband liked that. Let me know if it’s any good :)).
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Lee Child - better off dead: Jack Reacher books are my guilty pleasure but I think they're going totally off the boil. Wouldn't recommend.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:50 pm My husband liked that. Let me know if it’s any good :)).
:)) I will.

I think I read they've made a Netflix series. Not yet released.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Duophonic wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:10 pm The Final Girl Support Group - Grady Hendrix: The basis of this is that final girls in horror films are real and it is a romp through every horror trope you can imagine. It was great fun.
I don’t think I enjoyed this as much as you, but it moved at pace and I finished it quite quickly.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I have started The Rules of Magic - the Practical Magic prequel.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I've just finished the book rosy and I got free lady month on Prime. The Raven Spell. I really enjoyed it and it's definitely my kind of read. I need to see how much the next book is in the series

I thoroughly enjoyed Liv's husband's book and look forward to the next one
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 am I’m reading Transcendent Kingdom at the moment. It’s not quite what I expected. A lot of detail about mouse brains.
I really liked that. Though, yes, there is a LOT on mouse brain. :)) I had a run through loads of Women's Prize for fiction winners/shortlisted last year and it stood out as a bit different. And was better than Hamnet. :))

I have been reading a book about the Lakes and the Romantic poets and discovered I've been Coleridge mixed up with Byron for years. And that Dorothy Wordsworth was 'highly strung.' Though I wonder if she was or if she just got on men's nerves.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I genuinely really want to read this book.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60229749
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Aww!

I just read some utter bilge called The Assistant by S K Tremayne. Do not recommend!