Book Notes

Bat Macdui

Re: Book Notes

Post by Bat Macdui »

I have finished out the year with a nice solid 90 on Goodreads. Which is mostly lockdown, I suspect. I am reading the new Liane Moriaty, and it is satisfyingly entertaining so far. I am a bit of a loss on where to go next, so I might have a canter through the last few pages of last year's thread.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I enjoyed The Man Who Died Twice as well Is, more than the first one actually.

If I finish the last 25 pages of my current book tonight, I'll have managed 50 this year which is my best year so far! I'm reading Assembly by Natasha Brown which is excellent - about the everyday micro-agfressions faced by a black, female investment banker from working class background.
Last edited by Flora Poste on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I managed 45, which is pretty good for me. Last year was 50 but there was a lot more lockdown reading.

I found Assembly absolutely devastating. Very sad.

I've just started the latest Cormoran Strike.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've done 71 this year, due to a burst in the last month or so. I'm currently on Poirot's Christmas after re-reading all the Miss Marples in the last few weeks which was very enjoyable.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I thought I was doing well reading 25! I'm very impressed with some of your totals!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Wiggle wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 pm I am reading The 4:50 from Paddington and trying to remember what happens. I also want to read How to kill your family by Bella Mackie. I am currently listening to the abridged version on BBC Sounds and quite like it.
I'm listening to this too!

I'm on Vacant Possession by Hilary Mantel.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

When do you all read, to be getting through so many books?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m a fast reader but the problem is I get really obsessed/addicted when I’m into a book and it makes me antisocial. I’m torn between wanting to read a lot more this year, but knowing I’ll struggle with wanting to read rather than speaking to my family :look:.

If anyone else here has this, how to you manage it? When I’ve got a really good book going I feel like an addict who’s not fully present as my mind is constantly pinging with wanting to excuse myself and go and read on my own.

I once came this <> close to walking into a lamppost because I couldn’t put a book down but had to go to work, so I was trying to read whilst walking through town :lol:.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Mainly evenings or when I'm awake in the night waiting for children to properly go to sleep. Mine are invariably very easy/low concentration reads.

I used to read loads more when I had a train commute, I think about 200 a year.

I totally know what you mean about getting really into a good book, squirrel.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I don’t get much peace at home to read, but like to use my commute when I can get a seat on the train.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I listen to audiobooks when I'm running and I'm now confident enough to listen whilst dog walking.

Other than that whilst I'm working.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve been choosing books over TV quite often in 2021.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I only really read once I'm in bed. I have made an effort to go to bed earlier with my book this year.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I think I’ve read 36 books in 2021. I’m currently reading A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier and will have to go to Winchester sometime soon (it’s where it’s set).

I read each night before bed (often in the bath). I’m not good at picking up a book in the daytime and I can’t read in the evenings if Mr Sax is watching TV and I struggle to concentrate.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I don’t keep track of how many books I read but I’m a slow reader so it won’t be that many.

I read at night before going to sleep & I have to be alone & in silence. I can’t imagine fully enjoying a book if you’re trying to do other things too.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Come and have tea and cake with me if you do, Cerise!
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

I’ve read 30 on my Kindle, and a couple of paperbacks. I read lots more than usual when I was pregnant and hardly anything since she was born, so it’s probably averaged out to a typical year for me! I mostly read in bed, because I struggle to concentrate if there’s too much else going on.
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

125 for me, I’m a quick reader and nearly always read for at least an hour in bed every day. Plus I mostly read 99p Kindle books which aren’t the longest :))

I’m currently reading a Hillary Clinton thriller. I’ve read Bill Clinton’s so thought I would be fair. It’s ok so far.

I’ve also just reread all the Antonia Forest Marlow school books (like Malory Towers) which were great.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Wiggle wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 pm I am reading The 4:50 from Paddington and trying to remember what happens. I also want to read How to kill your family by Bella Mackie. I am currently listening to the abridged version on BBC Sounds and quite like it.
I love 4.50 from Paddington and re read most years!
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I read really quickly and I don't watch very much TV. Which is mainly because The New Way of TV gives me choice issues. :lol: R changed jobs a year or so ago and does night shifts sometimes now, so I will quite often have a night of bath/book/bed. It's very lovely.