Book Notes

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Book Notes

Post by Kenickie »

Sophie Kinsella is brilliant. I agree that there's a lot of snobbery about books written by/aimed at women, but there are definitely some bad books, I've started and given up on a fair few and read some to the end. ;)

I just can't cope with anything that needs proper concentration nowadays but I'm still reading some great stuff. I've been reading a lot of young adult as it's usually better suited to my attention span.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I also love Marian Keyes.
Beena

Post by Beena »

There are definitely some bad books.

I'm listening to Rachel's Holiday as my walking book. It's been years since I read it and it's so good.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I love Marian Keyes. I might dig one of hers out for my next read. I did Rachel’s Holiday and Angels recently.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

I want to read Rachel's Holiday again because the sequel is coming out in February. I read it ages ago and can't remember it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I think I read it when I was doing my post grad course so about 23 years ago! I loved it though, and looking forward to the sequel!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

sally maclennane wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:05 am I think I read it when I was doing my post grad course so about 23 years ago! I loved it though, and looking forward to the sequel!
I just had a look and it's available for 99p on kindle so I've bought it. :))
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I think I still have the actual.book somewhere :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Ismee wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 pm I want to read Rachel's Holiday again because the sequel is coming out in February. I read it ages ago and can't remember it.
SCREAM. I did not know there was a sequel coming out. This is amazing news and could be the book that brings my reading mojo back :disco:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

On a related topic, do people recommend a Kindle? I tried reading books on my iPad mini for a bit but didn’t love it (and said iPad mini has reached end of life anyway)

What appeals is the mention on this thread of buying books for 99p. I’ve always been a paper copy type person but it gets $$ and storage is an issue now. Plus my local library isn’t the greatest.

I’ve just started The Other Side Of The Story by Marian Keyes.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Usually, yes, but I don’t know what the offering is like in Australia.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I love my Kindle. It gives me everything I ever wanted in a book (content aside). Mainly that it has a light so I can read it in bed, and isn't heavy to hold lying down, and is so portable.
Malan
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m kind of tempted. I looked at the cheapest one, but MrE reckons a Kindle Paperwhite would be better for me. There’s this Kindle Unlimited subscription too, which is $14.99/month which might be good.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Mr P has just upgraded his old Kindle (the battery was going) for a Paperwhite and he is very pleased with it. I don’t have one as I actually get on quite well with using the app on my iPad mini, but as you say, that doesn’t work for you.

Have a good look at the books included in Kindle Unlimited as there really weren’t enough that I wanted to read when I looked I go it to make it worth while for me (it might be different in Oz of course, or more that you want to read).
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I have a Paperwhite and wouldn’t be without it. I can’t think of any reason that would make me go back to books.

Yeah, I didn’t find Kindle Unlimited worth it for me.

Am off to download Rachel’s Holiday to reread before the new one is out :weewee:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Thanks for the 99p tip! I’ve also bought it for a re-read. I read it when I was quite young.

I mostly read on Kindle because I read in the dark.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Ok, noted on then Unlimited, thank you. May opt for the Kindle and see what’s on offer before biting the bullet on that. Though of the few books I’ve checked, the Kindle version is the same price as ordering a paper copy, I suppose I get the benefit of not having to store the paper book somewhere and it arrives immediately.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've just put Rachel's Holiday on reserve at the library. Not available until March so several others must have had the same idea! I didn't know about the sequel.

Kindle Unlimited is quite bobbins. There's about seven good books on it. I absolutely love my Kindle though.

I've just started a Lisa Jewel thriller, The Night She Disappeared.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Estrella wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 am I’m kind of tempted. I looked at the cheapest one, but MrE reckons a Kindle Paperwhite would be better for me. There’s this Kindle Unlimited subscription too, which is $14.99/month which might be good.
I forgot to say, I have the Paperwhite, and don't bother with Kindle Unlimited.
Malan
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

And now I've just downloaded Rachel's holiday. I will have the paperback somewhere but I much prefer reading on the Kindle due to the weight etc.

I have an old voyage that I got for my 40th I'll be 48 this year so they do last

Est have search on Amazon for free Kindle books and see what's available to you also libraries over here do an ebook borrowing service so that might be useful as well

There used to be a top 100 free and top 100 99p list that changed daily
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk