Book Notes

Annabella

Re: Book Notes

Post by Annabella »

I just finished Love Marriage by Monica Ali. I did not enjoy this as much as other books of hers that I have read. I think it was too much analysing of relationships and very introspective characters vs the actual underlying story of Jasmin's parents which was the story.

I have now started The Man Who Saw Everything by Deborah Levy.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I've just finished Flight by Lynn Seger Strong, and I really enjoyed it. It's a bit like The Corrections, BUT the women have inner lives because it's written by a woman. Don't let the Franzen reference put you off :)).

I've just downloaded another by the same author (Hold Still), and it's really good so far.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Oh that sounds good, Ella. I’ve just reserved it at the library. I hope I get it before Christmas :)
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I like the look of that, thanks Ella.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve recently read Girl, Woman, Other. It’s going to one of those books I think about a lot. I wasn’t sure about the style at first, but I did enjoy it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’ve just finished The Man Who Died Twice and really enjoyed it. I really like his sense of humour and the characters.

I’m now on to Lucy Foley’s The Paris Apartment.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I just finished The Cloisters by Katy Hays. It didn't get as thrilling as I felt it might, but it was a decent read and I enjoyed it. Filled with academics, tarot cards, murder, mystery and medieval drugs.

I'm now reading The Overnight Guest by Heather Gudenkauf, which feels like a good fit for this time of year as it's set in a blizzard.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:50 pm I’ve recently read Girl, Woman, Other. It’s going to one of those books I think about a lot. I wasn’t sure about the style at first, but I did enjoy it.
I loved it, I read it during the first lockdown and like you said, I thought about it a lot afterwards.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I have 3 books to go to reach my Goodreads goal of 52 for this year. I must say I have slightly cheated by counting all 7 of the Harry Potter books which were re-reads and I don't normally include those. I've also had 3 very short ones, an Alan Bennett one about lockdown, The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck and last night I read The Nutcracker by E.T.A Hoffman which is really just a slightly longer short story.

I need to pick my next 3 carefully as they can't be anything too lengthy! I am about a third of the way through Shrines of Gaity by Kate Atkinson and I've just now remembered a romance one I read in about five minutes the other week so must add that. Only two left!

I don't always add embarrassingly trashy stuff.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I only removed one book from my Goodreads & it was really a short story/novella that Chunk made me read because he loved it at school. Turns out he’s a big fan of horror short stories.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Turtle Bean wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:36 am I have 3 books to go to reach my Goodreads goal of 52 for this year. I must say I have slightly cheated by counting all 7 of the Harry Potter books which were re-reads and I don't normally include those. I've also had 3 very short ones, an Alan Bennett one about lockdown, The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck and last night I read The Nutcracker by E.T.A Hoffman which is really just a slightly longer short story.

I need to pick my next 3 carefully as they can't be anything too lengthy! I am about a third of the way through Shrines of Gaity by Kate Atkinson and I've just now remembered a romance one I read in about five minutes the other week so must add that. Only two left!

I don't always add embarrassingly trashy stuff.
If you haven't read it already, Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan would be a good pic. Perfect for this time of year, beautifully written, and very short.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I have already beaten my goal for the year, but it was only 22 books and I’ve read 25 so far, way off you Bean! I might get one or two more in before the year is out.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My goal was 50 and I’ve managed 60 so far. A week in the sun helped with that, plus making a conscious decision not to doomscroll or watch TV that doesn’t thrill me.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Bloody hell, I can't believe how many books you guys have read! I said I would read 16 and I'm on my 29th but I didn't have a week in the sun and I'm a telly addict so only read for 20 minutes at bedtime.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I have two more to my target of 100 this year. Pleasingly this will also be 1000 books since I started using Goodreads.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I started to think that's amazing when I saw Bean's post, then saw Disco's/Epp's and thought good going, then I got to Pip and was super impressed, then I saw Ken's and all I can say is wow!

I have read 25 books so far and might get to 26. My initial aim was 5 and then gradually increased the target by 5 each time. In the past few years I was lucky if I finished 2. I do prefer to read in bed and have made a conscious effort this year to go to bed earlier. Next year I plan to read other genres, this year has mostly been murder mystery.
Last edited by Wiggle on Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ken! 98 books! Wow.

I am currently reading and enjoying The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Don't forget I've been either pregnant or on mat leave the whole year, plus they've all been very easy reads.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

98 is amazing Ken, especially with 3 small children!

I have read 41, which is a big improvement on last year (around 28 i think). I've tried not picking up my phone unthinkingly as I often do, but it's still a bad habit.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lola

Post by Lola »

That’s amazing with 3 children, Ken :))

I don’t keep track of how many books I read throughout a year but it’s probably about 15-20? I’m a slow reader I think, and I don’t like to give myself targets.