Book Notes

Turtle Bean

Book Notes

Post by Turtle Bean »

Hello and welcome to 2022 reading. I missed out on starting the new thread last year so I am getting in early. You can ignore it till Saturday though, if you like.
sally maclennane

Re: Book Notes

Post by sally maclennane »

Hello Bean.

I'm reading the Vanishing Half just now, I don't know if I like it yet.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Hello.

I found a box of books that hadn’t ever been unpacked in the 3.5 years in our old house. So have been discovering old things in there. Just finished Goodnight Steve McQueen by Louise Wener and am now reading Making History by Stephen Fry.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I am reading The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen. I started it yesterday and I'm halfway through and liking it. I would like to finish it before NYD just for neatness of ending a book before starting a new year.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I like the title.

I'm in the middle of The Last House On Needless Street, and it is quite odd (disturbing). There is a god-loving cat amongst the main characters.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading the first of the Cazalet Chronicles, The Light Years.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Little My wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm in the middle of The Last House On Needless Street, and it is quite odd (disturbing). There is a god-loving cat amongst the main characters.
I've got this queued up to read next.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Good thread title!

I am also part way through The Last House on Needless Street but stopped reading because I was finding it a bit disturbing.

So instead I’m reading Never Look Back, which is an easy, trashy , murder thriller. I’m on the lookout for something beautiful and clever next :demanding:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm Hello Bean.

I'm reading the Vanishing Half just now, I don't know if I like it yet.
I started reading this for a book club ageess ago and am finally finishing it. I've really enjoyed it.

I've got Joan Didion's Slouching towards Bethlehem to read next.
Malan
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

It’s been a rainy home day here today so I finished Making History and am onto Crime by Irvine Welsh.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I couldn’t get beyond the first few pages of The Vanishing Half, for some reason.

I read the newest Liane Moriarty the other day (Apples Never Fall). It was pretty good and not too heavy.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I have a few books on the go at the moment.

I'm making my way through the Audible Jane Austin collection so I'm 3/4 through Mansfield Park.

Written in Bone - Prof Sue Black: I've only started this but really interesting so far

Sex Scandal - Ashley McGuire: The audiobook is a bit robotic and the segments are stupidly short but interesting nonetheless.

I have Bob Mortimer's biography and a recent Jack Reacher lined up to drop next week on my library app so it'll keep me busy for a while.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I’ve just finished Children of Jocasta, which I quite enjoyed. If you like twists on the Greek/Roman myths then I recommend it.

I’m now being offered lots in that genre so I’ve just started Athena’s Child, but I suspect it won’t be as good. Technically I’ve also got Sorrow and Bliss on the go, but I haven’t quite got into it yet, so it’s being neglected.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I need to finish a trashy Christmas novel then I have to read one more book before tomorrow night so I have met my Goodreads target. I'm going to go for The Cat Who Saved Books by Sosuke Natsukawa as it is quite short.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Fall by John Preston (about Maxwell) was astonishingly good. I raced through it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’ve read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves which was meh, I skimmed over quite a lot of it. Not sure what’s next.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I am reading 'Sooner or Later Everything Falls in the sea' which is short stories, mostly with a slight apocalyptic edge. Very good indeed
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I am reading The 4:50 from Paddington and trying to remember what happens. I also want to read How to kill your family by Bella Mackie. I am currently listening to the abridged version on BBC Sounds and quite like it.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 am
I read the newest Liane Moriarty the other day (Apples Never Fall). It was pretty good and not too heavy.
I read that over Christmas too and enjoyed it.

I'm almost finished The Man who died twice which I am enjoying too, a nice easy read.

I've read 38 books this year, I set myself a target of 30 so I am pleased with that.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Squirrel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:11 pm I’ve read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves which was meh, I skimmed over quite a lot of it. Not sure what’s next.
I read this a few years ago, I was also a bit "meh" about it.

I'm enjoying The Vanishing Half more now I've got into it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse