Book Notes

Blondiejude

Re: Book Notes

Post by Blondiejude »

Oh I liked the last lianne moriarty I read I’ll give that a go Ella.

You all read such intelligent things! I’m enjoying re reading some agatha christie, I know some people hate it but it’s my go to happy read, cards on the table is the one I’m on now.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I rattled through Rachel's Holiday; I couldn't remember any of it! I'm now reading The Ladies Midnight Swimming Club which is more lightweight than I expected but enjoyable so far. (It's on Prime Reading, if anyone fancies it.)
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I shall add Rachel’s holiday to my list, thank you.

I have read both the Richard Osmand books, and while I don’t get the very high praise for them, they were quite nice light easy reading.

I thought the second was better than the first, oddly. I have a physical copy of the second book if anyone would
like me to pass it on?
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Ooh I would be interested Hobbes, I’m keen to read it.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Chicky wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:52 pm Ooh I would be interested Hobbes, I’m keen to read it.
Pm me your address Chicky and I’ll pop it on the post.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Thank you! I can pass it on once I’ve read it if there are any other interested people :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I took a break from George V (which is really rather good) to read But You Never Came Back, by Marceline Loridan-Ivens. It's an essay written to her father; they both were taken to Auschwitz but she returned; he did not. I've read it twice through - devastating, beautiful.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I loved The Husbands, Zoomer. Thanks. I’ve bought Whisper Network now, by the same author.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I have read the latest Lianne Moriaty and thoroughly enjoyed it. She is very good at what she does now. :yes: I also read Lucy Foley's The Hunting Party, which was a passable thriller. I am dipping into Lev Parikian's Light Rains Also fall, where he chunks up the seasons into 5 day sections, as the Japanese do, but reports on them from his London walks. It's light, interesting and a good diversion and I think people who like London and nature would enjoy it.

I don't really know where to go next, I could do with a new crime series or something reasonably lightweight to just tear through, I think.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 am I am dipping into Lev Parikian's Light Rains Also fall, where he chunks up the seasons into 5 day sections, as the Japanese do, but reports on them from his London walks. It's light, interesting and a good diversion and I think people who like London and nature would enjoy it.
Lev Parikian lives somewhere very near me as he is always popping up on my local FB group doing bird walks and talks in the local cemetery and other places - I had no idea he had a wider audience :)) I must read one of his books!
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I would love to do a Lev bird walk round his cemetery. :love2: I really like his nature writing as he's very accessible. He tends to be all 'and then there was a bird I couldn't recognise, and it rained, so I posted a picture of a leaf on Twitter instead.' :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My mum has recommended the Mick Herron Slow Horses series for crime, Bats, but I can't personally vouch for it yet as I've only just started the sample.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I read The Guest List by Lucy Foley, Bats, it was quite good.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 am I have read the latest Lianne Moriaty and thoroughly enjoyed it. She is very good at what she does now. :yes: I also read Lucy Foley's The Hunting Party, which was a passable thriller. I am dipping into Lev Parikian's Light Rains Also fall, where he chunks up the seasons into 5 day sections, as the Japanese do, but reports on them from his London walks. It's light, interesting and a good diversion and I think people who like London and nature would enjoy it.

I don't really know where to go next, I could do with a new crime series or something reasonably lightweight to just tear through, I think.
I think you'd enjoy J D Kirk's series - all his stuff is available on Kindle Unlimited and it's surprisingly addictive.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I really like Lev (and that his world/landscape is familiar ) but haven't got the new one yet. I am in a phase of listening to audiobooks while walking round and round parks I know too well and it would be ideal for that.

Currently reading Rachel Cusk's Outline for book club. I'm very much enjoying it but not sure what I make of it yet, or what I will say about it. I am intrigued and impressed but my thoughts are not fleshed out.

I've also been in full winter mode, and listened to Jeanette Winterson's Christmas Days over Christmas (12 short stories, 12 recipes with stories/anecdotes around them) which I hugely enjoyed, even if not every story was my cup of tea. It was absolutely comforting and also often pleasingly ghosty. And in book form I (re) read The Dark Is Rising (haven't finished it yet because of interrupting it for book club). And my current audio book is Wintering (Katherine May), which I have been meaning to read for ages, and which is also perfect for going round and round the park to.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Chicky wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:44 pm Thank you! I can pass it on once I’ve read it if there are any other interested people :))
No problem, although I’ve just remembered I’ve got two copies as I got a duplicate of it for Christmas, so if anyone else wants a copy let me know!
Little My

Post by Little My »

I finally finished Last House on Needless Street. It was a heavy read. Started off very much a mystery horror, and turned into something much more! I recommend reading it with no spoilers, like I did.

Now I want a bit of light reading though, so I checked out Rachel's Holiday from the library having read this thread. It will be my first time.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I've just ordered a copy of Rachel's Holiday thanks to this thread. I really want to try and read more this year so this should be a good starting book for that I hope.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Rachel Holiday was recommended to me in the late 90s by a colleague who was trying to give me a subliminal message regarding my recreational drug use :look:
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Disco wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm Rachel Holiday was recommended to me in the late 90s by a colleague who was trying to give me a subliminal message regarding my recreational drug use :look:
:lol: Subtle!