Reading Heart Liberals

Bat Macdui

Re: Reading Heart Liberals

Post by Bat Macdui »

I have just added We Begin at the End to my Goodreads To Read list, for when I am casting about for a good thriller. :)) Thank you. I also like the sound of Clubland.

I read A Place of Greater Safety years ago on holiday in Yorkshire with Ex-MrB. He fished the Wharfe and I sat under various trees and in cafes reading. I think you need that kind of scenario for it, long, uninterrupted times of chill. Otherwise you'd never keep up with everyone going out and coming back in again (there is a LOT of going out and coming back in again). I would love to do similar with a re-read of all of the Wolf Hall trilogy. Last year when things were a bit meh all round I was mentally planning a fortnight alone in the Highlands, interspersing Wolf Hall with Munro climbing. :))

I have read Kamila Shamsie's Best of Friends, which was excellent and I'm still thinking about the ending. She is very sharp on people's values and the compromises we make in life. And now I am on Elif Shakar again, 10 Minutes and 38 Seconds in this Strange World.

I am number 38 on the library list for the new Jane Harper. :)) I think this is over all the libraries, though, so I should get it quite quickly once they get a copy in for most branches.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I've added Best of Friends, thank you.

I'm now reading The Silent Town. Another First Read (I have such a backlog as I kept claiming them but fell out of reading using my phone app due to failing eyesight :lol: ), and I think No 3 in a series of crime thrillers that keeps referencing 'what went before' vaguely but hopefully that calms down and we stick to the current murder plotline.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am on Show Me The Bodies by Peter Apps, about Grenfell. I can only do it in short chunks because it is completely heartbreaking and also makes me very, very angry.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

My Carrie Soto reservation came through today and I absolutely loved it. Even didn't think it was too much tennis, although that might have been because I was expecting that it might be from comments here.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You read the whole thing? Good job!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Yep, luckily I had a very sleepy baby this afternoon!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Still Life last night, it took me ages to read it, partly because I found it a bit dull, and partly because the last few weeks have been quite stressful so my concentration was shot. Anyway, I thought it was ok but it felt over long to me, and the only character I really liked was Evelyn. I thought I would love it as its mainly set in Florence which I adored and also set in WW2, which I usually enjoy as a setting but despite all that, it didn't grab me.

I am now reading Exiles by Jane Harper - Falk :love:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I read that this afternoon Sal and loved it. Especially after the rubbish first read thrillers I’ve been subjecting myself to.

I previously read a couple of Mansi Shah books, which I wouldn’t recommend.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am also reading Exiles, having caved, cancelled my library reservation and bought it at weekend. Also Falk. :love2:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:53 am I'm now reading The Silent Town. Another First Read (I have such a backlog as I kept claiming them but fell out of reading using my phone app due to failing eyesight :lol: ), and I think No 3 in a series of crime thrillers that keeps referencing 'what went before' vaguely but hopefully that calms down and we stick to the current murder plotline.
I went back and read the first two yesterday.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've decided to sav Exiles till my holiday.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

I finished Book Lovers - which I really enjoyed - and have just started We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker. Really want to read Exiles next!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Lola wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 am I’ve just read Evidence of the Affair by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was a Kindle Unlimited book & is a short story. Anyway, it was enjoyable to read :)
I enjoyed that too.

Have finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (really enjoyed it) and am almost done with The Things We Do To Our Friends by Heather Darwent (ok-ish)
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am at that point in Exiles where I can tell something is going to work out very badly for someone/some people I have been made to care about. :cry:
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Do I need to read the first 2 Falk books before Exiles? I think I should as I love a good series of books to get into...
sally maclennane

Dutchie wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:38 am Do I need to read the first 2 Falk books before Exiles? I think I should as I love a good series of books to get into...
You don't need to, there are a few references to previous books but they're not central to the plot of Exiles. However, they are really good so I would read them anyway. The others (non Falk) are good too.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Oooh, a whole new author to discover! This pleases me greatly :))
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am considering going back and rereading them as I've remembered how good she is, and also, I don't have the brain power for actually choosing new books to read at the moment. A comforting and comfortable few weeks with Falk will be lovely.
sally maclennane

Forces of Nature is my favourite, she is such a good writer.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

The Lost Man is my favourite. That's not a Falk one but it is so so good.