Reading Heart Liberals

Wiggle

Re: Reading Heart Liberals

Post by Wiggle »

I finished His & Hers by Alice Feeny last night. It was nicely paced, a few cliches and an interesting ending. I am now onto The Reluctant Detective. So far it's okay, hopefully it's a nice gentle read and perfect bedtime reading.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Marzahn, Mon Amour was lovely but I think I can already anticipate the book group organiser's opinion (he likes more plot driven stories I think). I'm happy to pass my copy on if anybody is interested (https://www.litromagazine.com/usa/2022/ ... mon-amour/). I need to go back and make some notes - I also want to book a chiropody appointment. :mrgreen:

I have a library copy of The Midnight Library for a future book club, which came in a bit earlier than I needed. I read a few chapters yesterday in a cafe and it seems interesting but the protagonist is not my cup of tea, so we shall see. I've noted some Turtles found it a bit basic.

The Editor's Wife has gone down a cliched route, though I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now. I might try and power through on my long drive on Wednesday, though I tend to do podcasts in the car rather than books as driving takes priority and I sometimes lose bits!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve finished A Shot in the Dark & I’d definitely read another Lynne Truss. It was jolly.

I’m reading Queenie now.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I’ve just finished ‘The Binding’, an interesting story about a world where binders bind memories you don’t want into books, so you can’t remember, and the consequences/abuses of that.

I was really enjoying it, but then it ended really abruptly. Ot seemed like there should be a sequel, but apparently not!
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Still Life by Sarah Winman - really enjoyed it (up until the last section which felt odd and disjointed and I felt the references to Forster didn't really work - felt quite forced) - I loved the atmosphere of the book up until that point though and the relationships between the characters are really beautiful.

I have just picked up Tin Man by the same author on Kindle for 99p though so will give that a go as well as I enjoyed her writing a lot.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm reading that just now Flora, I agree about the characters although I find the little girl quite annoying.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve just finished The School for Good Mothers & actually thought it was a good concept & enjoyed it although it was a bit too long. It seems like the sort of thing that could be on an A Level English Lit course as I think it had a Handmaid’s Tale vibe. I also think it could start a few arguments in book clubs :))
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I picked up another Elif Shafak in the library - The Architect's Apprentice - and am pottering on alright with that. It's a bit fey but perfectly enjoyable, so far. I would've chosen more but the library is a designated warm hub and I'd gone dressed for being outside on a cold day and after ten minutes I was dying, even with my coat off. :)) The librarian was floating round in a t shirt. :))
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've got to read The Great Gatsby by Thursday night. It's not that long is it?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

No it's pretty short, I think I reread it in an evening or two when I was going to see a ballet version.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I've just finished Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty, which I found slow to start and a bit silly at the end. I'm told the Netflix series was better. Not to be deterred, I'm now reading Apples Never Fall.

Our book club book, this month, Akin by Emma Donoghue. I know nothing about it.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The Midnight Library was as subtle as a brick in its shitty message and I won’t be searching for any of his others.

The Editor’s Wife was also unsatisfying. I know the Small Pleasures ending divided opinion but it was much better than this one.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Lola wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:59 pm I’ve just finished The School for Good Mothers & actually thought it was a good concept & enjoyed it although it was a bit too long. It seems like the sort of thing that could be on an A Level English Lit course as I think it had a Handmaid’s Tale vibe. I also think it could start a few arguments in book clubs :))
Spot on! That's exactly how I felt about it. After I finished it, I felt the need for something lighthearted and am reading Book Lovers by Emily Henry, which a couple of friends recommended. I'm really enjoying it and it's even made me laugh a couple of times.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Queenie was really good, my eyes leaked a lot from about 2/3 in.

Not sure which book from my pile to pick next, and my colleague is coming over today with some more books for me.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I loved Queenie.

I'm on the Ink Black Heart and hate all the in-game moderators' chats.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Queenie was so good, I loved it.

The online chat in Ink Black Heart drove me mad, it was so awkward to read, and confusing.

I am still plodding through Still Life, it's ok but I don't love it. I want to finish it soon so I can get the new Jane Harper when it comes out next week.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I couldn't get on with Queenie's decisions although it did get me out of my comfort zone.

Recent reads:

Birds - Jim Moir, not so much a read as a picture book with bird facts but I'm counting it
Dr Jekyll and Mr Seek - Anthony O'Neill - a modern author who has taken up the Jeykll and Hide story 7 years after the original left off. I enjoyed the romp through Victorian London
How to kill your family - Bella Mackie - entertaining enough, the end was a bit disappointing.

Currently reading - The Homes. I saw that Chris Brookmyre had recommended it so giving it a bash it's not bad.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I can't wait for the new Jane Harper, Sal.

The in game stuff in Ink Black Heart was such a trial to read. If it had not been a Strike book I might have given up
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Ooh, Jane Harper! Will text my sister.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I finished a Mhairi McFarlane this morning that was certainly not a prize winner. Certainly the light nonsense I needed after The School for Good Mothers though!