What's in a name?

Brier

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Brier »

Santa Claude wrote: The chinese have the most AWFUL taste in English names. Categorically. Across the board :)) Fair enough, really.
This is really true.
Brier

Post by Brier »

Argh, 4 pages appeared from nowhere!

You come across a lot of narcissistic naming where I work. My faves have been Michael and his children Michael Jr and Michaela, and Lee with his daughters Leig.h, Lea.h and Le.anne.

My mum is one of five, and between the seven of them they have 3 different initials - 2 D names, 2 Ks and 3 Js. The males are the D's and Ks and the females are the Js, so not even the titles could differentiate. I assume my grandparents just really wanted an excuse to read everyone's mail.
Last edited by Brier on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

We've done that :lol: Both of E' s sons are E' s also. He didn't have a say in his first son's name and we both really liked the second E' s name so didn't think twice about it. Their surname also starts with an E :lol:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Lenny Ninny :love:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Why didn't he have a say in the first one, Jupiter?

Ni as a diminutive has cracked me up.

My family on my mum's side are terrible for lack of name originality, some by choice, some by chance. My mum's sister married an Alan, and then gave birth to an Alana who's now married to an Alan. My mum's brother named his son the same name as his brother, and they both use the same diminutive. P has the same name as another of her brothers, and one of my cousins has a boyfriend with the same name as another cousin, and one the same name as an uncle. It makes conversations with that side very confusing.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I work with a Ni. He's Chinese though so I'm pretty certain it's not short for Nigel :mrgreen:

MrE has a name which is more traditionally female in the U.K. (though interestingly it's very much a male name over here). It's never bothered me.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Ni itself is fine, it's being a version of Nigel that I find amusing for some reason.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I think the oddest name issue I've had was when I was with a boyfriend whose dad's name was the same as my significant, constantly haunting and contacting ex. Boyfriend had always intended to call any future son by his dad's name, which if we had stayed together would've meant me being mother to exname which neither of us particularly wanted! I'm sure if it had come to that it would've been fine if it was what he really wanted, and a name is just a name. I still would've had to fight the urge to break silence with the ex to make sure if he ever heard about it he knew it wasn't in his honour :lol:
Blue Eyed Laydee

Post by Blue Eyed Laydee »

I had a boyfriend with the same name as my ex-husband. There was never any confusion. If spoken of at all nowadays they're described as 'Dickhead ex husband Andy' and 'Cheating idiot Andy'
Tyla

Post by Tyla »

Lily wrote:Has anyone gone out with someone who had the same name as a previous partner?

I have a slight crush on a ridiculously handsome man but I couldn't go out with him because (amongst other reasons) he has the same name as my ex Will (Will wasn't his real name). It would be too odd talking about him because everyone would be asking "Which Will?" if I spoke about him.
Yes. I've had two serious relationships with people called Richard. It wasn't a problem :lol: . They were about 10 years apart and one was a Richard while the other was a Rick, which probably helped. They both turned out to be Dicks :)) .
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "what about lunch?"
smalex

Post by smalex »

At Uni my 3/5 of my housemates (incl me) were dating/sleeping with a Richard. Another one was close friends with a Richard. Only one is still around now, he won the Battle of the Dicks.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I knew a couple who were Alex and Alex. I did wonder how it worked with post and stuff. And I don't like Russell's name much, but as love conquers all I decided to get over myself and have a relationship with him. :))

My sister's lawyer is a Chinese chap called Kevin! The one I once randomly showed pictures of Santa's children to, then felt like I'd violated privacy and had to grovellingly apologise. To Santa, not Kevin the lawyer.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I quite like the name Russell. But I think it's because the name reminds of a ridiculously fit bloke at school in the year above that everyone was in love with.

All of my partners have had fairly normal names. I've not had any significant overlap of names, but I did completely freak myself out at my second wedding that I was going to accidentally say my ex-husbands name (Adey) instead of Andy, as they are a bit similar in pronounciation. :panic: :rossfromfriends:
indigo

Post by indigo »

My ex-husband was S.cott and his sister called her first son S.cott too. That struck me as a bit odd. And incestuous.

My exes have all had names of one syllable, except MrD who has three. Is that interesting? Probably not.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

My current husband has the same first name as one of my ex husbands. And we have our son that name too. It's not too confusing because son goes by his middle name and ex husband uses a variety of nicknames and rarely his actual name.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Was Adey an Adrian, Pov?

The only name that bemuses me of friends partners is Barry (I know 2) for some reason.
Princess Morripov

I am going to call my fictional puppy Barry. I think it is a good strong solid name (for a dog).

Adey was an Adrian. Which, thinking about it, is probably a bit of an awful name but I don't think I ever called him/knew him as that really so it's never really associated that name to me.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Princess Morripov wrote: Adey was an Adrian. Which, thinking about it, is probably a bit of an awful name
:lg:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I tried dating a Barry. I was messaging my friend telling her that I hated his name but shouldn't judge him for it and then when I turned up he sounded like an old man. So that didn't get beyond one date.
Princess Morripov

Sorry Dig-face. I did think I probably would upset someone :lol: I (personally) don't think it is an awful name, but I think it could be on the cusp. :lol: