Magic Beans

Tips & tricks to make your bumhat beautiful.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: Magic Beans

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Squeak bloody loves scrunchies. :lol:
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

No, you're safe, I use them to tie my hair up when washing my face 😂
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:)) I was planning to do the same :flirt:.
Elya

Post by Elya »

They have them in urban outfitters, so I assume the hip kids are wearing them, no?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

They are, for sure :cry:.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I also use them for face-washing purposes and sometimes around the flat when no one can see me as they do less damage to my hair.

My skin is a disaster. I’m certain it’s hormones. The pill helped but it raised my blood pressure (plus I’m 40 this year) so I decided to come off it. I’m not super spotty but I seem to have at least two spots all the time and my skin is really oily (for me). The Neutrogena Light Therapy mask seems to help them go quickly but doesn’t stop them appearing. And that snazzy black charcoal soap helps a tiny bit.

I would happily spend £120 on something that actually worked. Or do I just need to go back to my GP? :cry:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm I’m reporting back on the Pixi Vit C tonic, it’s really nice. So is the retinol one, but I like the Vit C more. It’s 1/3rd off at M&S at the moment so I bought a larger bottle for when the little one runs out, which will be soon.
Thanks for the update. I need to order some toner very soon so that’s v helpful :)

Scrunchies are super on trend just now aren’t they?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

What sort of spots are you getting? Also do you know what the pH of the soap is? Also (again) are you using any acids/what else do you use in your routine? Assuming it’s not a medical issue, it should be fixable.
absley

Post by absley »

My skin's been dreadful recently (really bumpy and a bit spotty) and using clay & wash-off cleansers rather than oils/balms and more exfoliating products esp. acids, has really helped.

In my case I think it's the hot weather/ using more sunscreen that's caused it.

I hope you can find a solution, it's horrid.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I would use fragrance free stuff as well as essential oils and perfume can be an irritant.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Sunscreen is the worst for spots as well - I definitely get more then.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I can’t recommend the Giorgio Armani UV Master Primer (SPF 40) highly enough. It provides proper levels of sunscreen (I’ve worn it in very sunny places) and doesn’t cause spots. It is, of course, expensive.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

I guess it depends what sort of approach you want to take - I think there are a few different things which could help and for me it's mostly trial and error. I get the odd painful cystic spot and find topical antibiotics (clindamycin) really helpful, but obviously I don't put them all over my face and they wouldn't help with oily skin and general skin texture issues etc so for those things I would use other products. Salicylic acid also helps for me (I have the ordinary one which I think is 2%), the Origins stuff is also good but seems no more effective and is a lot more expensive. For an all over the face product you could look at azelaic acid (you can buy 10% stuff from the Ordinary, Paula's choice etc or you can get 20% on prescription) or topical retinoids of some sort - CH has some useful videos looking at different products and how to interpret the labels, as it's an absolute minefield because there are so many different types of retinol you can buy and the strengths of different sorts are not the same. A decent SPF is a must if you're going to use any kind of retinol (even more than usual) - I quite like the Heliocare oilfree gel one and the LRP one. I haven't tried the Armani primer though so I am going to put that on my wishlist. Acids are so good for skin texture and I also find Niacinamide good for reducing inflammation and improving texture- I really notice a difference if I stop using it. I'm going to try the Alpha H one next.

Anj..ali M.ahto is a dermatology consultant who herself has cystic acne and has lots of info on her instagram account and various articles she's written on acne. I do think she gets a lot of press samples though. Worth a look though. I think she has a little more insight than some beauty bloggers/journos who never seem to have had a spot in their lives.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Salicylic acid is really good for spots.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Azelaic acid is good for spots too. My hormonal, menopausal ones went away immediately I started using it and never came back.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:42 am What sort of spots are you getting? Also do you know what the pH of the soap is? Also (again) are you using any acids/what else do you use in your routine? Assuming it’s not a medical issue, it should be fixable.
Sorry, I haven't really been at my laptop for a couple of days. The spots tend to be whiteheads that disappear fairly quickly, but I have them 75% of the month and only really on my T-zone (although not really ever my forehead - mainly jawline). My skin is now also very oily for me.

I don't know the pH of the soap but my skin has improved a bit since I started using it fairly regularly. I don't have a routine as such, but I have amassed assorted products. I do not use them in this order and I don't use them all at the same time, obviously :)) . I also don't mix the various acids etc or use them every day:

Nip + Fab salicylic acid toner
Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix Cleanser
Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum
Sunday Riley Good Genes
Malin and Goetz's Resurfacing Glycolic Pads
Some mild (0.1%) benzoyl peroxide spot treatment my GP prescribed which I use VERY rarely and sparingly as it makes my skin red and flaky
Clinique Dramatically Different Hydrating jelly
Clean & Clear spot treatment gel (salicylic acid)
Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum

Like Fig I also sometimes use an antibiotic treatment I got in the US if I catch a bad one really early.

The spots are definitely more in control than they were but it feels like an endless battle.

Thanks Bean and Fig - I will have a look at azelaic acid and some of the other stuff you mention.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I managed to get two tubes of Maybelline BB cream off eBay. I hope it doesn't melt my face.
Disco

Post by Disco »

The holy grail. I'm still using the maybelline serum foundation, I initially hated, having had to change application tool (from brush to sponge) and I now like it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

nineseven wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:40 pm Nip + Fab salicylic acid toner
Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix Cleanser
Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum
Sunday Riley Good Genes
Malin and Goetz's Resurfacing Glycolic Pads
Some mild (0.1%) benzoyl peroxide spot treatment my GP prescribed which I use VERY rarely and sparingly as it makes my skin red and flaky
Clinique Dramatically Different Hydrating jelly
Clean & Clear spot treatment gel (salicylic acid)
Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum

Like Fig I also sometimes use an antibiotic treatment I got in the US if I catch a bad one really early.

The spots are definitely more in control than they were but it feels like an endless battle.

Thanks Bean and Fig - I will have a look at azelaic acid and some of the other stuff you mention.
I wonder if you're using too much stuff on your face which will aggravate it? Perhaps go back to basics using very, very, er, basic stuff and see how you get on, then introduce one at a time. My dermatologist recommends Neutrogena skin care.

I just got this Kevyn Aucoin palette for my birthday party and LOVE it. You can wear it in so many different ways. I also got a Lipstick Queen lip balm - Queen Bee - in the sale. It's glittery and smells of honey and is pretty moisturising. It made me think of Kleio.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I have that balm, it’s very nice. The palette looks good too.