Film 2019

Froozy

Re: Film 2019

Post by Froozy »

I’m just home from seeing Downton. It was such a cosy film, although some of the comedy definitely felt shoe-horned in (Maggie Smith must have had a minimum quips per scene clause in her contract).
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

'I never argue - I explain' :)).

I know what you mean, but in the current gloom, it was a good way to spend two hours.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Lily wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:09 pm Saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood tonight. It was much better than any of Tarantino's previous work and very well done. It also made me feel desperately sad at the end, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. It was long but I didn't notice and really enjoyed it.
I saw it last night and thought it was absolute shit! The cinematography and the period stuff was very good but the story was dull dull dull and the end just weird - Tarantino’s acid fulled wish for the way things had happened, or something? I definitely missed the point of it :)).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I guess that's what it was! I just loved it, butI had just finished a massive book on Manson which may have had something to do with it as I felt rather wistful (trying to say what I mean without spoilering!). I also thought Pitt and DiCaprio were superb.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Anyone been to see The Joker? I don't want to spoiler it but also want to discuss!
Luce

Post by Luce »

Nope, am boycotting so I'm just going to pretend it isn't very good :))
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Luce wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:20 pm Nope, am boycotting so I'm just going to pretend it isn't very good :))
Same. :lol:
Luce

Post by Luce »

I hope it massively fails but it won't :look:
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:34 am Anyone been to see The Joker? I don't want to spoiler it but also want to discuss!
Yes. I loved it. I felt guilty about going after the comments on yesterday’s thread, but we’d already booked :look:

Joaquin (m?) Phoenix was amazing. A very different Joker to Heath Ledger’s but, after careful consideration, I’d say as good. (I will have to watch Heath again to make sure though :)) )

A bit violent for me - I was wavering about going at all after googling (too late!) yesterday, but I’m glad I saw it.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I haven’t seen the Joker but found this article interesting in light of all the reports about the violence.

Short version: she’s more concerned about the ‘people with mental health issues are one missed medication away from turning into homicidal maniacs’ aspect than the violence per se. I’d be really interested in what Turtles who have seen it think of that view.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Michael Moore posted a long comment about how it's a very important film looking at mental health. I wouldn't be going to the cinema to see it either way, but it does sound much more interesting than most comic book universe films.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

mojojojo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:45 pm Yes. I loved it. I felt guilty about going after the comments on yesterday’s thread, but we’d already booked :look:

Joaquin (m?) Phoenix was amazing. A very different Joker to Heath Ledger’s but, after careful consideration, I’d say as good. (I will have to watch Heath again to make sure though :)) )

A bit violent for me - I was wavering about going at all after googling (too late!) yesterday, but I’m glad I saw it.
What were the comments on yesterday's thread? Sorry, I should just look them up. I don't tend to keep up with the daily threads very well.

I thought it was good. Very dark and very very sad, I hadn't watched any trailers or read anything before going so it certainly wasn't the usual Marvel/DC action movie I was expecting but it really made me think about the broken system and the impact of childhood trauma on future adult life and how society can be really nonfunctional and differences between classes. I've not read the linked articles yet so I'll be back once I have done.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I finally got around to seeing Hustlers yesterday. I enjoyed but wasn't blown away by it, tbh. I thought Jennifer Lopez was very good (and I do love her a little bit) but don't think the role was quite strong enough to warrant the awards buzz she's getting.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Luce wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 pm I hope it massively fails but it won't :look:
Have you heard about Gary Glitter making a shed load of money from it too?
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

I saw Ad Astra at the weekend in lieu of The Joker (we had to choose a very specific timeslot). I love space films (I loved Interstellar, which it’s being compared to), but it was honestly so boring. Nothing really joined up, it felt like lots of individual events with the same character, rather than a coherent plot line.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Kleio wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm
Luce wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 pm I hope it massively fails but it won't :look:
Oh what?
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Smunder Woman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 pm
Kleio wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm
Oh what?
One of his songs is the soundtrack during a pivotal scene apparently. ‘Some people’ have said “oh but he gets cash from Oasis too!” But, that was for a 1995 track and his criminal activities weren’t uncovered until 1997. It astounds me that a filmmaker would choose a track from an incarcerated sex offender.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

JFC. It doesn’t astound me at all though, sadly.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

I watched Hotel Mumbai last night and enjoyed it (if that's the right word). The whole thing completely passed my by at the time.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I went to see Judy last night, and really liked it. Renee Zellweger was very good in the lead role, and the storyline was good. I knew a wee bit about her, but had no idea she was so young when she died, and how fucked up her early life was :(
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse