Time For A Change

absley

Re: Time For A Change

Post by absley »

Good luck, Suz. I'd be really tempted too.

Do you have ideas about possible career changes, Beena? Could you keep doing this job while you move towards changing,

I've recently started a new job. Well, it's the same kind of work I used to do and for my old employer, but on a fixed term basis until the summer. I'm so happy to be back at work. Just need to see how the London-Frankfurt commute feels as time goes on.
Skips

Post by Skips »

How are you getting on Suzi?

I had a catch up yesterday and now they are saying there is a headcount freeze until January. I'm not new headcount though, if I'm replacing someone or have I missed something? They haven't got a new contract for me and I think I'm ready to throw the towel in, they said it's likely to be the end of January/February until anything happens. Every month longer is a month less redundancy protection, fewer benefits, more stress. I'm going to give it till the start of next month and I think hand my notice in so I can temp in the new year and find something else. They say the right things but the actions don't speak of them wanting to offer me something permanent, they just want to keep the carrot dangling.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

They have really treated you shabbily Skips, constantly moving the goalposts.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I handed my notice in yesterday, I will stay till the end of January, but I won't extend my contract beyond that. It's pretty much jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire but I'm done with them, I think I've been more than patient but unless I end this I can't seeing it changing. If they do offer a permanent role before then I'll take it, but otherwise my last day is 31/01/2020.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I think that a good decision, Skips. I hope you find something that ticks your boxes quickly so you can relax about the whole thing.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I’m sorry that it’s come to this, Skips and that your company weren’t able to get their finger out and make a decision one way or the other.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Wishing you all the best for a new job Skips you deserve it they have treated you very shabbily
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

I hope you get something better Skips. I applied for VR then bottled it and withdrew. I have a job on the new project and fly to America tomorrow for a week's training! I'm not 100% that I've made the right decision, but I do really value being 4 days a week, and a new job would most likely be full time. I can always look to move on in the New Year if I want to.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve been meaning to ask how you’re getting in Suzi. There’s a lot to be said for the status quo when you’ve got childcare to consider.
Suzi.Q

Post by Suzi.Q »

There is. I really value my fridays with E and don’t want to lose that.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I have a dilemma at the moment. My current project finishes in a couple of weeks and I'd been looking forwards to having a decent break over Christmas and into the New Year, and I had no intention of looking for anything else till the spring.

Out of the blue I got messages last week which were followed by a conference call with some senior people I used to work with who set up a consultancy several years ago and are currently pitching for a new client project. They are looking for someone with my kind of background to help complement their own skills and experience. Whilst it's all very flattering and all to be approached directly, I don't actually have the specific experience that I think they need, it's a bit of a scary prospect to take a lead role in the way they're describing plus they want someone, like, tomorrow.

I'm not selling myself short when I say that I don't have the experience, but then I wonder am I getting protective of my comfort zone, and what would a mediocre white male do in this situation? Of course they'd bullshit and hope that they learned enough on the job to skate through. But then I come back to the fact that I quite want to have an easy life for the next few months, and and and...
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

If I had seen the PD for the role I’m in now, I would never have applied for it. Because really in reading it, I didn’t think I could do it. Honestly. It’s only because I was approached by someone who knew me and my experience and skill set that made me even consider it. I am only a month in but I’m glad I did it. I have imposter syndrome, but I seem to be going ok with the faking it where I don’t think I know what I’m doing. So I say if you want the be the mediocre white male, do it.

Suze, that also sounds like a sensible approach. Enjoy the training (and the uninterrupted sleep in a hotel!)
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

What does it look like longer-term, H1ppy? Would the experience (and/or money) take you where you want to be for the next few years?
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I think the experience itself could be great for my CV (but could be equally be a hiding to nothing). It'd be a contract / consultancy for a specific project and would be maybe up to a year's work (if their bid is even successful), but they've been really vague about how the engagement might work in practice, and I've no idea of their views on rates or anything like that.

I have already gone back to them this morning and said I definitely want to have a clear break for a month or two, so if they want me they'll have to wait till the end of January-ish. That might have already taken me out of their window of opportunity but I just don't want to deal with a lot of job-related stress over Christmas when I'd been banking on getting a decent chunk of time to decompress.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I applied for a job yesterday (doing the same thing I did before for a different company) and was contacted 30 minutes later for my availability for next week. :panic:

I haven’t even had an interview and have already talked myself into why it isn’t going to work out even if they do offer it to me. (Massive commute, in house client management, full time etc).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

:weewee: Good luck.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Oh Olive how wonderful but also understandingly shocking - I also thought I would get a break from my job when I left in November but was snapped up for freelance work the very next week (I am only doing part time now though)

Skips - what is happening with you - do you have something to go to when you finish at the end of January?
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Good luck!
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Thank you! :))
Annabella wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:17 pm Oh Olive how wonderful but also understandingly shocking - I also thought I would get a break from my job when I left in November but was snapped up for freelance work the very next week (I am only doing part time now though)
I was expecting to not really hear anything back let alone so soon so it’s a definitely a good problem to have.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Good luck! That sounds so positive.