On Your Bookshelf

Annabella

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Annabella »

I finished Scrublands last night - very twisty story with lots of new elements as it went along. I really enjoyed it. There was an excerpt from the new book Silver which I might get now.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I loved Scrublands!

Vietnam is pure military history and I can't handle it - I need a social history. So I have gone to The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware instead. :lowbrow:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Winter, objectively it was really good, but just didn’t excite me. I’ve moved onto S.J. Parris on my sister’s recommendation. Murder, Elizabethan times, and monks, right up my street.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Lily wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am So I have gone to The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware instead. :lowbrow:
I am interested in how this is, please. I love Ruth Ware.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

indigo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:38 am
Lily wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am So I have gone to The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware instead. :lowbrow:
I am interested in how this is, please. I love Ruth Ware.
Me too. This book is on my list of "Want to read"
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I got Scrublands for my Mum for Christmas but she's shown no signs of getting stuck into to it yet and I reckon I can't nag until at least the end of January. :verm:

I'm reading The The Trouble with Goats and Sheep, as it popped up as available and popular on Libby. It's nicely written but a bit slow so far. I have also ordered Crawdads, as it sounds good, thanks for the recommendations.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Recently finished - Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? by Caitlin Doughty

It's kids asking a mortician questions about death and I personally found it fantastic.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:05 am I like her stuff, I will give that a go when I finish my current one (Last Anniversary by Lianne Moriarty).
How are you getting on sal? I’m not sure I can be arsed finishing it (I’ve already looked up the mystery to confirm what I thought). It might be dragging more because it’s audio, though I binned off the last Liane Moriarty and took a break for a bit.

I’m going to try The Familiars by Stacey Halls instead.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I just finished it Wendy, I thought it was ok. Like you, I am going to take a break from her for a bit.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've just got The Familiars out of the library, Wendy. It's set very close to where I live.

I've just finished Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge for book club and really enjoyed it. It's set on the Titanic and so well written. It's sparked a mild Titanic obsession.

Other that that I am still reading Waterlog, mainly in bed at night as it is peaceful.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I thought that when I listened to the first chapter today!
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Is The Familiars the one set at Townley Hall? It's a North West Libraries Must Read or something, they're promoting it madly at the moment.

I finished The Trouble with Goats and Sheep and was underwhelmed with the ending, not least because I had to go and find spoilers on Goodreads to work out what actually happened. :lg: It was nicely written and entertaining though, would read another Joanna Cannon for light relief.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Turtle Bean wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am
I've just finished Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge for book club and really enjoyed it. It's set on the Titanic and so well written. It's sparked a mild Titanic obsession.
I read this a few years ago, and really liked it.

I bought Scrublands yesterday, I got it for nowt actually as I had built up points in my Waterstones card. I was bored on the train with no book yesterday morning though and started rereading Big Sky so now I'll have to finish that first :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I was at Towneley a couple of weeks ago :fascinating:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I went once in winter with my dull friend and it was all grey and dark and dull. :)) There was an exhibition of lace and the cake in the tea shop was slightly stale. 4/10.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I was there for Parkrun :)) although we had lunch in the garden centre cafe on the Sunday and that was good.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I have never been to Towneley but it is the surname of a good friend of mine; does that count?

I loved Scrubland :hbeat: and am now reading A God in Ruins. Is there another Jackson Brodie novel imminent?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Three Things About Elsie is quite good by the same person, Bats.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Norwegian Wood and Dark Matter have both arrived from the library via Mr D so I'll need to get them read before I go back top my purchases
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I finished Cilka's Journey. There were some heat wrenching moments but it was worth reading.