Vegetarian/Vegan Children

wendy james

Re: Vegetarian Children

Post by wendy james »

We have a sausage winner! I didn't try anything like that Thora, as Elvis only liked the plainest pork sausage anyway. But, she gave a thumbs up to the fridge Quorn sausages that come in a pack of 4. :perky:
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

Have you tried the M&S veggie/vegan range? I'm addicted to their cauliflower popcorn and both my children love their fake chicken nuggets and fake meat balls.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We don't live near one, unfortunately. I pop into the Frome one occasionally to see if they the vegan coleslaw, which I still wang on about having picked it up in the Bath M&S once. :lol:

We did get some sausages and burgers the other weekend, though I wasn't keen on them myself (more because they were overcooked on the barbecue - I'd try them again).
wendy james

Re: Vegetarian/Vegan Children

Post by wendy james »

Elvis has decided that she wants to go vegan “to save the planet”. I’ve suggested we swap out dairy first but she’s insistent on no eggs too. It might not last but she’s woken up this morning still insistent.

Free school lunches are out of the window*, though she’s agreed to one JP and beans a week (on the day they both have after school stuff so a cooked lunch works better). Today’s she’s gone with hummus wrap, crudités, leftover homemade chocolate coconut rice pudding and a satsuma. She will eat cold pasta (unlike her sister), which will be helpful.

She’s never been the cheese monster her sister is, but this is going to make me bloody think. She’s a tad more adventurous food wise too, which can only help.

I need to research a bit online as I’m concerned about her getting everything she needs , but any vegan packed lunch ideas would be helpful!

*P is going to speak to school and see if he can get a list of suitable lunches (eg we think veggie cottage pie should be) and also get her dispensation to leave something on her plate (eg egg in the all-day breakfast).
Glint

Post by Glint »

I'm afraid I don't have any lunch ideas, but if she continues with veganism, this article could be worth having when P is talking to the school.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/scottis ... -1-5033764
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks Glint. She has the option of a jacket potato and beans every day, buts she’s not massively keen on them.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Will she eat wild rice and chickpeas? I make a wild rice salad for the boys and throw in whatever we have but their favourite combo is wild rice, chickpeas, pickled beetroot, black olives and dried cranberries. I usually make 2 days worth. Sometimes it has roast veggies too if we have any leftover.

Falafel is nice cold too.

I’ve got a couple more and can dig them out when I’m at home. I have to pack lunches every day and try and do meatfree at least twice a week plus T won’t eat cheese. :ruby:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks olive. We’re having ‘tropical rice’ for dinner tomorrow so might have some leftovers I can try her with on Wednesday.

I did a quick panic shop today and she’s taking a fake ham, fake Philadelphia and cucumber wrap tomorrow, but I wouldn’t want to rely on that sort of thing.
geek_kitten

Post by geek_kitten »

Tom Kerridge has a nice baked falafel recipe (they're more like patties than round falafel) which keep well and are really tasty. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... _09084/amp

Ottolenghi has a really nice pasta and chickpea recipe that's completely vegan: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ta-recipes

Bean-based Bolognese/chilli works pretty well too with pasta, rice or potatoes. Chickpea based pasta is pretty good, tastes much like wheat based pasta and is higher in protein.

Dried fruit and nuts can easily be blended to make little bars or balls (I have one which involves dates, apricots and almonds which is nice - let me know if you want it).

Chickpeas can be baked in the oven with some spices and oil, they go crunchy and crispy and make a nice snack.

Soya or coconut-based yoghurts are obviously vegan.

Tofu is another option for protein but it's an acquired taste/texture. As a child I'd quite happily eat cubes of it with a bit of soya sauce and sesame oil but I freely admit to being odd 😁
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

geek_kitten wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm Dried fruit and nuts can easily be blended to make little bars or balls (I have one which involves dates, apricots and almonds which is nice - let me know if you want it).
I would like the recipe please, geek!

Not much help with packed lunches, but M loves the new Bird's Eye veggie burgers and sausages. I'm pretty sure they're vegan and there are Swedish-style meatballs in the range which might be okay cold.

Oh, I sometimes make a mashed butter bean pate thing for M which might be handy - it's just mashed butter beans with lemon juice, olive oil, a bit of seasoning and sometimes some herbs or a bit of garlic, but it's a good quick and easy option.
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Hummus is a staple here for lunches with pitta bread/ chips/ crudités or spread in wraps and I try and vary it.

Beetroot and green pea are big winners here:
035E5F6D-C954-44FB-9465-9117274AF63B.jpeg
86B3C1FC-FC31-4729-BDF3-CD0F7C85FA85.jpeg
Or black bean hummus:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/black-bean-hummus-2355464

The boys will take hot food in a thermos and often take in rice and dhal or lentil soup.

They love this one (obvs leave out the bacon) with a roll.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/f ... bacon.html

And this brown rice pilaf - I’ll usually add chickpeas and roast any veg lying around. Mine are quite happy to eat cold rice salads though and I don’t mind them having cold rice either although lots of parents don’t.
EBB18863-548B-4D52-A9B6-E5ACD1E174B2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I was just about to suggest a thermos. My children's lunches could do with being less bread-based but they are fussy about grains and cold rice/pasta, so I thought soup/hot pasta/leftovers would add variety. Could be useful for Elvis?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks everyone! We do have a small food flask, though she prefers to open her own boxes (I got a bollocking tonight about the screw top tub I used for today’s yoghurt :ella: ) so I’ll have to check if she can open it when an adult has closed it.

The school is nut free, but I do have an energy ball recipe that doesn’t use them that she mentioned making again. The balls get rolled in raspberry powder and are a lurid pink colour. :lol:

She’s made a list of things she’d like to try, which will get us off to a good start!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I've just been watching a video on YouTube form Pick Up Limes. She had some good lunch box ideas.

https://youtu.be/CaItdegkoNE

And for children
https://youtu.be/8Cq19bdJ2nI
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I love PickUpLimes!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Geek - do you have a bean bolognese recipe you’d recommend? I found a kidney bean one, but she wasn’t massively keen (either for dinner or leftovers the next day). She can open the food flask at least, though leftover hot dogs and spaghetti hoops won’t be making a regular appearance. :lol:

She’s going to a birthday party on Friday and I feel bad as they’re going to loads of trouble. I asked what might be on offer so we could bring substitutes e.g. if there’ll be sausage rolls, we’ll bring vegan ones for the girls. I’m told there’ll be nuggets, sausage rolls and they’re even buying a vegan cake (and won’t let me bring that instead) and have asked for more ideas. I feel we should buy a better present. :lol: