On Your Bookshelf

Elya

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Elya »

lorri_b wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 pm I thought the first half of Vox was enjoyable enough, but the second half got a bit silly. It's a quick, easy read though.
I chose Vox for our book group in March having read the first chapter in the book shop and been gripped, but completely agree with you, lorri. The end was almost farcical.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I kind of want to read Motherwell, but also keep thinking 'maybe in a bit' as I don't think it's going to be an easy read. I have finished my Jackson Brodie odyssey. Still can't decide whether I like him that much or not. :)) I think if it was marry/fuck/push off a cliff I'd go for the middle one.

I've started The Five now, which is fascinating for the detail on late nineteenth century London life.

Also, I might start a thread about historical novels. I think I'm basically burying myself in the past to avoid the hellscape of the current world. And also, I've gone weird about Cromwell. :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It’s quite a brutal read, especially if you’ve had any kind of weirdness with your parents.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've started the new Marian Keyes which I'm really enjoying, although I think there's a few too many characters.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I am nearly finished The Testaments and am gutted because I'm enjoying it so much I don't want it to end.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It ends really suddenly, too :)).
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Lily wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:04 pm I really couldn't get excited by the Brilliant Friend trilogy at all. I really tried and I feel sad that I didn't like the books as I think I've missed out
Yes, I felt the same. Just didn’t get the fuss about the first one at all.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm keen to read The FIve.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I was another who didn't think My Brilliant Friend was all that. I don't even remember if I finished it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Elya wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 am
I chose Vox for our book group in March having read the first chapter in the book shop and been gripped, but completely agree with you, lorri. The end was almost farcical.
It was a shame as the concept is good, it just went off on random, unnecessary tangents.

Have you read The Power?

I'm about half way through reading Middle England for book club. I really dislike it - may have to Google and pretend I read it all.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ah, the lack of Ferrante lovers makes me feel better!

I have started Sunburn from Laura Lippman who I randomly discovered last year. She is so, so good!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve finished two more by Ann Patchett.

Bel Canto, which won the Orange prize way back when. Weird, weird, weird. Felt like nothing happened but also so much happened.

The Patron Saint of Liars. I LOVED this, and didn’t want it to end.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I read the Kindle sample bit of Motherwell, and part of me wants to read the rest of it, as I think it will resonate, but another part of me really doesn't like therapy memoir, particularly when there is no right of reply. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that, but I can't help seeing it as backstabbing. I'll leave for now, and see if I still want to read it after a while.

I'm reading some nonsense about Guinevere just now. It's on the Kindle, so I'm not sure of the title, but it's not very good :)).

I read Bel Canto ages ago. I can't remember what it was about now, but I think I enjoyed it. It was a book club choice, and I seem to remember the discussion being good.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm I’ve finished two more by Ann Patchett.

Bel Canto, which won the Orange prize way back when. Weird, weird, weird. Felt like nothing happened but also so much happened.

The Patron Saint of Liars. I LOVED this, and didn’t want it to end.
I may have already said this, but The Magician’s Assistant is my favourite Ann Patchett, closely followed by Patron Saint of Liars and then Run.

Lorri, I have read The Power - I seem to remember it going a bit off track later the book.

I persevered with Middle England because I loved The Rotter’s Club - which is where the character first appear - but it was quite slow going.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I really liked The Power but have been put right off Vox by a friend.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s great to know, Elya. I have The Magician’s Assistant to read next. (Have you read The Dutch House?)

Bel Canto is the one about terrorists taking a load of party guests hostage in a presidential mansion somewhere in South America. That’s not a good description but I’m trying not to drop any spoilers.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The Five is excellent and fascinating on historical detail and such a good contribution to the whole THING about Jack the Ripper. I recommend splitting each biography up with something else though as God, the grinding awfulness of Victorian poverty is, er, grindingly awful.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Ella77 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 am Bel Canto is the one about terrorists taking a load of party guests hostage in a presidential mansion somewhere in South America. That’s not a good description but I’m trying not to drop any spoilers.
I'd completely forgotten about Bel Canto, but I really enjoyed it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I did too, even though as you say not a lot happened.

The Five was very good, but her theories have been entirely dismissed by Ripperologists, mainly because she seemed to be rather selective about the evidence she used. Horribly readable, though.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks, Ella - it's come back to me now.

I've just downloaded The Five on Audible. They have a £3 sale on today, and it is part of that, if anyone's interested (members only, and ends tonight). I'll listen to it in the summer.

By coincidence, their Deal of the Day (£1.99) is an Ann Patchett. The Dutch House.