Roses and Fence Replacement

Toast
Delboy

Roses and Fence Replacement

Post by Toast »

I've got two large roses that are pretty well established (maybe seven years old) and they're trained up against a fence that needs replacing. Obvioulsy I'll need to untie the roses from the existing fence and then re-attach them to the new one but how much should I cut them back by? I did cut them back quite severely before the winter and they've grown a fair amount.

Any other tips on how to not damage the roses would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Cosmopolitan

Re: Roses and Fence Replacement

Post by Cosmopolitan »

As far as I can tell with Roses, the more brutal you are with them, the more they like it, so I'd hack them back as much as you need and then when the fence is done, feed them up with some manure and rose food every month or so and I suspect they'll be fine and possibly even better than before
Squirrel

Re: Roses and Fence Replacement

Post by Squirrel »

We had to have a shrub rose completely cut back almost to the very base so that our flint wall could be repaired. I'm no gardener but I was assured by people who know this stuff that it would regrow and it has got a few baby leaves now, so hopefully it will come back.

So in short, I don't know but I have been told that you can cut it right back as much as you need. Ask me again in a year or two :))