Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Bat Macdui

Re: Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Bat Macdui »

Lisa Nandy was utterly shocking on Today this morning as well. From a political point of view, you have to kind of hope Keir's walking a tightrope to get elected then will sort it out in a halfway reasonable manner, but that doesn't seem very hopeful. Or WEP come round. The Fawcett Society made some of the right sort of noises yesterday. Actual legislation isn't going to happen because Boris Johnson isn't touching this with a bargepole. The question is where we are in 5 years on the left when there's another election to fight.

In the meantime, this does seem to be Peak Transing people a bit more.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I can't listen to Today, what did Nandy say, Bats?

I have to say that I've found lots of interviews with Rayner to be complete car crashes.

I'm not optimistic.
Red

Post by Red »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Why do you say this, Bats?
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

"WPUK are wilfully going after trans people. Transwomen are women." Was asked if there should be any women's space in the UK which was not open to men who identify as women. No, there shouldn't.
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Red wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Sheer number of people and increasing number of men nailing their colours to the mast openly on social media. Fawcett Society comment. Guardian coverage (miles more even handed than previous). I think points 9 and 10 on that pledge have upset a lot of people previously happy to let it all wash past because that's not just Peak Trans that's language and opinion policing.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

She's totally lost my vote for that interview this morning.
Malan
Red

Post by Red »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:38 pm
Red wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Sheer number of people and increasing number of men nailing their colours to the mast openly on social media. Fawcett Society comment. Guardian coverage (miles more even handed than previous). I think points 9 and 10 on that pledge have upset a lot of people previously happy to let it all wash past because that's not just Peak Trans that's language and opinion policing.
Thanks for that. Its madness politicians are committing to this pledge, its like they're in the thrall of something.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I was so disappointed with Lisa Nandy on Today this morning. As on the Newsnight leaders debate last night we seems to think she can justify her position on the grounds of supporting a trans individual in her constituency. Disingenuous and makes her seem intellectually lacking.

Although I did notice on Newsnight how Kier Starmer wasn't pushed to say whether he was going to sign.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm "WPUK are wilfully going after trans people. Transwomen are women." Was asked if there should be any women's space in the UK which was not open to men who identify as women. No, there shouldn't.
:sleepy:

Between all o' that and the Cabinet reshuffle today, the existential despair is back.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes. This is a pretty shit day.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I am particularly affronted by Suella Braverman becoming AG. She is a genuine mouthbreather, this can't go well. I'm amazed at the number of barristers they've found who are willing to sell the judiciary down the river.
indigo

Post by indigo »

Graham Linehan continues to do sterling work on the trans issue. He must be fucking exhausted.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Today.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 pm "WPUK are wilfully going after trans people. Transwomen are women." Was asked if there should be any women's space in the UK which was not open to men who identify as women. No, there shouldn't.
I heard this and felt really disheartened. She tried to make out it was like when they had a hostel where they had two separate races of child soldier in the same shelter (or something) and they had a "policy for dealing with it". Surely the best thing to do would not have been to create a potentially dangerous situation in a place where people of all races/sexes/whatevers need reassurance and safety?

I also find it very worrying when people say that they are happy for people to disagree with them but not to be "phobic". Because it appears you cannot be one without automatically being deemed to be the other. I don't think many people gobbing off and being "right on" genuinely believe this but they are scared of being called out as phobic themselves.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Lily wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pmShe tried to make out it was like when they had a hostel where they had two separate races of child soldier in the same shelter (or something) and they had a "policy for dealing with it".
The Radio 4 presenter asked her if 'trasnwomen are women' applied when a man identifying as a woman tried to access a domestic violence shelter. Nandy's response was that this situations was exactly the same as a case she had worked with previously, where an Ethiopian child and a Eritrean child, who had been child soldiers on opposing sides in a war, were housed in the same young person's hostel and the issue was resolved by risk assessment.

Which manages to be insulting to just about everyone, really.
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Yes, that was it. I was just - I didn't have words and I'm not sure the presenter did, either.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I wasn't impressed by Nandy the last time I saw her interviewed. I couldn't see why she seemed such a popular choice for Leader. She didn't say anything inflamatory [that I can remember] that time, but came over as totally lack-lustre and not particularly articulate.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

I was at our GC AGM last night and Momentum seemed non existent. Our previous branch chair who was so rabidly pro JC actually left half way through voting, and us "others" won every position very comfortably.

It seems that the momentum has slowed, faltered and ground to a halt. There were fewer than 20 people there who could have been expected to vote for that slate. In fact they didn't even have a pre-prepared slate to hand out. Last year they numbered about 90, and were quite aggressively campaigning.

I think this bodes well for moving away from the immovable dedication to JC at all costs, and I do hope that this is reflected in the leadership election.

I'm quite hungover this morning, got to see St ella's babby, and drank too much with Joh n Bull.
Last edited by Marth on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 pm
Lily wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pmShe tried to make out it was like when they had a hostel where they had two separate races of child soldier in the same shelter (or something) and they had a "policy for dealing with it".
The Radio 4 presenter asked her if 'trasnwomen are women' applied when a man identifying as a woman tried to access a domestic violence shelter. Nandy's response was that this situations was exactly the same as a case she had worked with previously, where an Ethiopian child and a Eritrean child, who had been child soldiers on opposing sides in a war, were housed in the same young person's hostel and the issue was resolved by risk assessment.

Which manages to be insulting to just about everyone, really.
Oh yes, such bullshit.
Malan
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Marth wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am I'm quite hungover this morning, got to see St ella's babby, and drank too much with Joh n Bull.
So. Jealous. Not of the baby, obvs. :mrgreen: