Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Ella77

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by Ella77 »

I doubt it given that so many of them seem to be saying pandemics don't count.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

We have an apartment booked in Dorset in four weeks’ time. We havent cancelled it yet because we feel that we can drive straight there and hang out and walk each day by the sea.
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:34 am If I’m understanding their Twitter feed correctly, Virgin will not be cancelling most of their flights to the US despite the travel ban, meaning that passengers will not be entitled to a refund, only the option to re-book for later in the year. Lots and lots of commenters are saying that the re-booked flights are much more expensive (saw that one coming), and many travel insurance companies are trying to get out of allowing people to claim at all for this.

I’m sure they’re not the only airline doing this.

I don't see how Virgin can say they aren't cancelling the flight as for whatever the reason, if you turned up at the airport the flight isn't going to go, it's cancelled :))

On another forum i use someone was due to go to Florida in 2 weeks but she has now applied for a cash refund on their website which you can do here https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... light.html. We're still in a wait and see as we don't fly for 17 weeks so i think we might be ok but if we weren't then the option of re-booking isn't open for us. We have planned this holiday with the grandaughters off school in summer hols and also that everyone is on holiday as 3 of us are allocated out holidays on a 5 year rota. If i didn't get a refund i would be really angry.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I know everyone will be really angry, but I also suspect if the companies all give refunds out they'll very quickly go bust (and then anyone with bookings further along the line will lose their money). I agree with the point made above- the pressure needs to go onto the government to act to protect the companies from going bust and people who've spent their much worked for income on holidays it is not physically impossible to take.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The flights are going. That’s the point. We just aren’t allowed to board them as non-US citizens.

I do see that, smal, but I bet a lot of people out there need the money more than they did when they booked the trip. So many people have lost their jobs.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Cerise wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am We have an apartment booked in Dorset in four weeks’ time. We havent cancelled it yet because we feel that we can drive straight there and hang out and walk each day by the sea.
This is us for next week but I'm not cancelling as we won't get our money back and there's been no response from the owner by email so I'll ring her later. It's remote which is why we chose it!!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:15 am The flights are going. That’s the point. We just aren’t allowed to board them as non-US citizens.

I do see that, smal, but I bet a lot of people out there need the money more than they did when they booked the trip. So many people have lost their jobs.
And I bet those flights that are going will be no more than a quarter full so operating at a loss, so it seems particularly bloody-minded not to cancel.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Yep. I think they’re doing it purely to force people to re-book. (And I get it, I really do, businesses are struggling, but individuals are struggling more, and individuals pay more fucking tax).
smalex

Post by smalex »

If no one can actually go anywhere, at least let's reduce the bloody carbon footprint.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Exactly, and save money on fuel (surely?)
smalex

Post by smalex »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:21 pm Exactly, and save money on fuel (surely?)
Yeah, I can't imagine it's cheap filling up a 747.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 am I doubt it given that so many of them seem to be saying pandemics don't count.
FCO advice is different to anything to do with a pandemic - I honestly think this might be your best recourse if your policy covers it. :)
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Have they sorted out the ridiculousness of empty planes flying all over the place as their slots at the airports are "use it or lose it"?
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Ella (and anyone else, of course) - I've just spoken to my bank (HSBC) as my flights and accommodation bookings were made on my business credit card and they've confirmed that section 75 does apply in the cases where airlines or hotels are currently offering a voucher. If you want to raise a claim you'll need to provide the following:

Retailer name
Transaction amount
Date of transaction
Booking reference
Date of flight/hotel check-in

I thought I'd read somewhere that transactions were subject to a minimum amount but the HSBC have said that's not the case.

In case it's helpful for anyone else, Airbnb are offering a full refund now (was only 50% previously) for stays booked 14 March - 14 April.

Editing to add: they did say that there was no guarantee I'd get a refund but that the circumstances met the criteria for section 75.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Thank you very much, Toast! Good luck with your claim.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Thanks, Ella. It's going to be a headache but it's $4k so it needs doing. I'm lucky (to some degree) that the majority of our business is carried out remotely but I'm still nervous about the impact it's going to have on my company. We're already seeing some drop-off from large companies that we're booked into this month because so much of people's time is being diverted to dealing with logistics.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

We’ve had one kind hotel offer to refund a non-refundable booking so far, which is amazing of them. (I didn’t ask them, but I booked through Mr & Mrs Smith, and they did, which is fantastic.) Will definitely use both again.

I hope your work doesn’t drop off any more.
Gizmo2000

Post by Gizmo2000 »

Just seen this on MSE that states as the FO has advised against travel anywhere most insurance companies will now pay out.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... 0#insurers
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Just in case it's useful for anyone, I've been able to get a full refund from BA for all the flights I booked directly with them. Airbnb are now offering a full refund for certain dates and Expedia have refunded for me two hotels I had booked (this is subject to the hotel policy, however).
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s great! Has BA paid you already (and is it rude to ask that?)

We asked Virgin for a refund, and I think it could be 3-4 months before we see any money, IF we do. Luckily the money was spent long ago, so we can afford to wait for now. We’ve also had two hotels refunded, and one refund confirmed but not received yet, so we’re extremely lucky.