Inconsequential CV stories

Morganna

Re: Inconsequential CV stories

Post by Morganna »

S and her bf both have 2 weeks' AL booked, which starts the day they come out of isolation. They are keeping it, although they aren't going away, and will just stay in the house.

I am sick of seeing cretinous FB posts about gargling with salt water and so on. If this was remotely helpful we would have been told by the NHS or YouGov, not via some eejit on bloody Facebook. They usually end with 'if you have a sore throat do this NOW or you will DIE', which is briefly unsettling, as my throat has been sore for days.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Some employers are not letting people cancel booked AL.

I've asked to cancel two days this side of easter, though I have kept two days after and 1 flexi leave day as I badly want the break from working. I have leave booked for July and will leave that for now. Our leave year starts in Sept and I plan to carry over 5 days, but am not sure if they are going to let people carry over more. I doubt it.
Malan
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Morganna wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm S and her bf both have 2 weeks' AL booked, which starts the day they come out of isolation. They are keeping it, although they aren't going away, and will just stay in the house.

I am sick of seeing cretinous FB posts about gargling with salt water and so on. If this was remotely helpful we would have been told by the NHS or YouGov, not via some eejit on bloody Facebook. They usually end with 'if you have a sore throat do this NOW or you will DIE', which is briefly unsettling, as my throat has been sore for days.
My work colleague posted on our small work WhatsApp group that TEA cures CV. TEA! Apparently that's why China is now cured. I am just deleting that sort of crap without comment.
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

There was "advice from a friend who's a doctor" email going around, my FIL sent it to us all - fortunately there was nothing dangerous in it, but there was a lot of stuff like the hot drinks kill the virus bollocks. Fortunately Uncle-in-Law pointed out it wasn't proper medical info so we didn't have to say anything :))
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

One of my friends, (a pharmacist, so should know better) sent an article to our what's app group, about sunlight and fresh air helping cure patients with the Spanish Flu. I did a quick Google of the author and discovered he'd also written articles claiming sunlight can cure various cancers.
smalex

Post by smalex »

The same sunlight that causes cancer? :puzz:
rosy

Post by rosy »

smalex wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 pm The same sunlight that causes cancer? :puzz:
Sounds totes legit.

I recognise people are scared and that's when the snake oil salespeople see an opportunity to make money, but ffs. I've argued with several idiots online already today about evidence-based medicine and I suspect tomorrow will be more of the same.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

smalex wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 pm The same sunlight that causes cancer? :puzz:
Exactly! I voiced my concern with the article and she quickly deleted, but honestly, it takes no time to do a check on these things.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Just had to negotiate finding and returning a mobile phone, in the current situation. We went for a walk up to a common near us and W pointed out a phone in the grass. There was no one around so I gingerly picked it up using my long skirt :lol: then put it into a zipped pocket in a coat. Then used a piece of kitchen roll to get it back out when we got home. Luckily, at that exact moment the owner called from another phone and arranged to come and get it, so I stuck it in an unused freezer bag. When she arrived she stood far back and I handed her the bag with minimal handling. Then we both laughed. She seemed very grateful. Of all the germy things to find, a phone has got to be the worst!
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but one of my customers is a well known alcohol manufacturer and they are turning over some of their distilleries to making hand sanitizer. I also read in my local news a local gin distiller is doing similar .
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I had the absolute fear when a wee boy was cycling in the park, as we were walking through it. He was wobbling all over the place and I kept thinking "please dont fall because if you do, I'll have to stop and pick you up and I really dont want to do that but I couldn't not do it" Fortunately his dad appeared!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

When I was in the park today a small child cycled full into a metal gate at the bottom of a hill. I felt terrible shouting from a distance to ask if she was OK and was her mum nearby (yes) but I didn’t dare get closer in case of upsetting someone.
Jet

Post by Jet »

I thought you guys would like this....NOT an April fools....a truck carrying toilet paper travelling on one of our interstates crashed and caught on fire this morning. Tragedy!
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
rosy

Post by rosy »

No! :lol: I shouldn’t laugh but gallows humour is still humour.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

smalex wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 pm ... Luckily, at that exact moment the owner called from another phone and arranged to come and get it, so I stuck it in an unused freezer bag. When she arrived she stood far back and I handed her the bag with minimal handling. Then we both laughed. She seemed very grateful. Of all the germy things to find, a phone has got to be the worst!
:lol:

None of these stories are inconsequential. I'm agog about the nursery fees. The government here have stepped in to reimburse childcare providers so that parents don't have to foot the bill to guarantee their child's place. See also inflexible annual leave.

R's niece and her partner are stuck in the Philippines with about 200 other UK citizens. They mostly got cut off on smaller islands by the lockdown and are unable to travel to Manila to book an international flight out. Even so, other countries acted immediately to repatriate their citizens. The British seem to have been left to tough it out. No assistance getting to Manila and, even then, the only available commercial flights to the UK cost thousands. Most have booked have exhausted their savings booking flights which they have either not been able to take or have been cancelled. Their appeals to the Foreign Office have fallen on deaf ears.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Jet wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:47 am I thought you guys would like this....NOT an April fools....a truck carrying toilet paper travelling on one of our interstates crashed and caught on fire this morning. Tragedy!
That happened here too right when the toilet paper craziness was starting!

The Aus Govt has announced today that all childcare is now free. If they announced it yesterday I would’ve thought it was an April Fools joke.
Jet

Post by Jet »

The cafeteria workers from our school district made the cover of Time magazine - they're still making food for pick up for kids who rely on school meals.

https://time.com/collection/coronavirus ... ronavirus/
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
viggy

Post by viggy »

That's lovely Jet.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

That really is lovely (as an aside it’s utterly heartbreaking that they need to do that to ensure the children still get to eat)
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

That's lovely but strange; every school in England has been doing this, including through the Easter holidays and I think some have done weekends. I think there's a voucher system now though.