Keeping in touch

Chicky

Keeping in touch

Post by Chicky »

I can highly recommend the (free) app Houseparty, you don’t need FB or anything, just download and go. You can have video calls with loads of people - my sister had about 10 on the other night - and you can do quizzes and other games while on the chat. You can also pass notes to each other. It’s been great for keeping in touch with people.

Any other apps/software people would recommend?
Morganna

Re: Keeping in touch

Post by Morganna »

Thanks, Chicky. I'll look at that, and see if J and S will use it. My mum might like it too, if she can work out how to download it.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

WhatsApp allows 4 people to videochat simultaneously - I haven't tried more yet, so not sure if that's the limit - still, handy for anyone older and non tech savvy who already has it on their phone and is comfortable using it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

The free version of Zoom let’s you have 40-minute group video calls and I think you can have 10s of people on a call. We had nine I think, but my choir is planing a rehearsal tonight with up to 100 people on it. I’m not sure if they have a paid version though.

FaceTime is fun for adding filters and emojis to your calls. My niece loved it :))
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 am The free version of Zoom let’s you have 40-minute group video calls and I think you can have 10s of people on a call. We had nine I think, but my choir is planing a rehearsal tonight with up to 100 people on it. I’m not sure if they have a paid version though.

FaceTime is fun for adding filters and emojis to your calls. My niece loved it :))
I've been looking at Zoom for live interactive sewing classes. I was advised that I'd need a 'Pro' paid account as I wanted to allow more than one participant, but they directed me to this link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... Comparison, if that's any help. Strange times.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

We had 9 of us on Sam’s first class zoom the other day, oth. Limited to 49 minutes but you can always run another one if needed.
TracyA

Post by TracyA »

Helpful thanks ! I was going to test zoom and Houseparty befor the ‘virtual hen night’ we are going on Friday. If you only get 40 mins with zoom, I guess we are using Houseparty!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've done zoom and house party with some people. Houseparty is easier I reckon! I find whatsapp calls a bit variable in quality. I spoke to my friend last night and it was fine, but then hung up and spoke to my mum and there was a terrible echo and difficulty hearing.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

We're doing our virtual groups via Zoom it's free for 40 minutes up to 100 people but anymore than 25 and you need 2 screens if you're using a tablet.
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Does anyone know if you can cast either zoom or houseparty to a tv screen?
Luce

Post by Luce »

I've been using Zoom for Pilates and chats. I think technically I could cast Zoom to my telly via my computer but the camera is on my laptop so not sure it would be very good.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I was thinking you probably could if you had Apple TV or something, but obviously there’d be no camera on your TV (I assume :uhh: ).
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Thanks both, I’ll five zoom a bash tomorrow as I’m catching up with some friends.

T turns 10 in a month and I was hoping to get his UK and US friends and family together to sing happy birthday to him and thought it would be better on a bigger screen.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Do it. One of the most lovely things to come out of this is chatting face to face with people that I just don't see enough. Human connection is absolutely everything.

I'm sure you can cast that to your telly. My MacBook let's me cast my screen through airplay to the TV.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Thanks, I’ll give it a bash. It’ll be a low key enough birthday so it’ll be nice to mark it somehow.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Thabk you so much for the Houseparty recommendation, I've just had a brilliant evening with some old friends :love:
Disco

Post by Disco »

Aw, lovely Heebie.

I've just spent the last three hours drinking with four friends and doing a quiz. It was amazing to just chat and see each other. At one point when I was returning from the kitchen before I reached the sitting room I thought they were in my room and then remembered they were all at home.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

We've just had a Zoom quiz and a game of Scattergories with some friends. It was nice.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I had a Houseparty chat with my sister and three friends last night and it was brilliant. We all brought our drink of choice and various crisps/nuts etc. We’re definitely going to do it again soon.