Homeschooling Help

Flora Poste

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by Flora Poste »

smalex wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm The weather is SUCH a blessing in this (read: I can boot himself for breaks)
Mine keep standing at the back door asking if they can come in from break :mad:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Squirrel wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm It was very nice, but I don’t know how to get them to do any work when they flatly refuse!
Will they do it for their teachers, Squizz? When mine were younger I used a LOT of ‘Mrs Edgar will be SO sad!’.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

No, I’ve told them that I’m going to email the teachers - which isn’t an empty threat, I actually am. Not the tiniest shit is given.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I don’t think this has already been posted but CVDTWINKLHELPS will give you a month’s premium membership on twinkl.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Squirrel wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm We’ve done no work today. After Joe Wicks PE the children did a token bit of sumdog and spelling shed on the iPad. Then they played swingball and stomp rockets, we played a card game, took sandwiches down to the river for a bike ride /dog walk / picnic and now they’re playing in the garden again. The weather’s lovely and my motivation is zero, in line with my teaching skills.

I’ve told them we have to do something from Google classroom tomorrow.
I declared last Friday a day off. We were doing it on the fly and were all exhausted. I will probably keep doing that randomly rather than having a set Easter holiday, especially as P and I have to work and holiday club is (obviously) closed.

This week feels a lot better (it's Day 10 of isolation, Day 8 of home learning) as we have a rough schedule of an hour each of maths, literacy, something else and exercise. J is having work set daily and the other two have projects that can be stretched out for about a week, with a bit of stuff from Twinkl as back up. So far J has finished just after lunch every day and Bert is still lying sideways on her chair at 4.30 moaning that she doesn't understand/can't be bothered/hates her family :lol:
Little My

Post by Little My »

I think to some extent having lessons for at home is unrealistic for everyone to follow, with an expectation of doing everything. Especially when they're still little. Honestly, mental and physical health (of parents too) right now should be the most important consideration.

R's math teacher sent out homework for the next week, and it's the first I've even heard from her school. I'm pleased, but also I have just clocked that she is about to start long division. My nemesis!!

Oh, and R cut her own hair today. A bit of extra layering at the front. It actually looks nice, but I told her to definitely quit while she's ahead. :mog:
Jet

Post by Jet »

Edith Bacon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Squirrel wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm It was very nice, but I don’t know how to get them to do any work when they flatly refuse!
Will they do it for their teachers, Squizz? When mine were younger I used a LOT of ‘Mrs Edgar will be SO sad!’.
I've had to pull similar today. I even said to S's teacher than I anticipate we will encounter issues with this and asked him to be clear to me what his expectations of where S will struggle with the assigned work vs where he'd expect him to complete independently so I can back off and not let him make me help with EVERYTHING. He's looked at some work today as though he's never seen the likes of it before :lol:

I also sent a fairly length response to S's teacher last night that we will obviously do our best but to level set about the situation we're in (as most are I assume).

They are planning to do a Zoom meeting on Friday so the kids can see each other - it's going to be SO LOUD.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

A mum in our class said when her son was in year 5 (2015/16?) the curriculum changed and that put them all technically a year behind and they were all fine.
Jet

Post by Jet »

We've just had our first Zoom session to test the dyslexia tutoring group and now I'm a bit emosh. I'm glad he's still going to have this with his dyslexia teacher. She seemed to happy to see them all too.

We're gearing up for the whole class in a few minutes - hoping his teacher knows how the mute function works :lol:
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Ours had loads of fun on their zoom calls using the whiteboard to draw pictures and try and guess what it is. It's worked brilliantly and the kids have loved it when the teachers have popped in to say hi.
Jet

Post by Jet »

The class one fully broke me - I had to get up go and compose myself in the kitchen :l: They were all beaming at seeing each other and their teacher let them go all out with no one muted for a while at the start.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Our week got harder as it progressed so I had to be a bit strict with her over her rudeness. Ten minutes upstairs in her room is 10 minutes less fun time once everything is done and I think it sunk in.

So we have caught up on everything that was missed due to the IT issues earlier in the week and she's set for next week being much easier, she'll be with her mum for that though.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Minecraft have released 10 free educational worlds if anyone is interested.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Sorry, 13 worlds.
smalex

Post by smalex »

W's teacher rang today, so that was nice. Said about some further work ideas they're sending after easter, but equally, don't sweat it, so I think they've got a good attitude. She said an hour or so one on one is probably as effective as a full day in school as one of 30 ('but I shouldn't say that, schools will go out of business!' I said I think everyone I knew was praying for the day school opened again, so I doubt it!). She said they were due to do a block of Sex Ed in term 6 so they were going to send out resources if we wanted to tackle that. Gosh, yes, like a hole in head :mog:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

This is so much fun.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Brilliant thanks Kleio! We could do dog treats in the garden and make Teddy sniff them out :)).
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I corrected J's teacher yesterday :lol: In my defence I'd helped him with a question that she marked as wrong, so I asked her to tell me where we'd gone wrong. I bet im her favourite now :))

A morning's work is plenty but I need to keep them busy on afternoons I'm working so have them watching documentaries. Yesterday was Kevin Hart's Guide to Black History (which they loved. TD keeps telling me about the wrongness of slavery) and today is Apollo 11. Any (U/PG) recommendations gratefully received.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Do you think yours will sit through Hidden Figures? Although obvs not a documentary.

Also not a documentary but Goodnight Mr Tom? (have a box of tissues ready)
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

M watched Trail of Tears yesterday which is about the forced relocation of Native Americans which might fit the bill. It’s on YouTube.