Covid-19

Teasel

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Teasel »

I'm sorry Dande. This is going to have such far reaching consequences for so many people.

We have had a warning from work not to wear our ID badges outside of work premises and to cover up our uniform. A nurse locally was held at knife point for their ID.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh bloody hell, teasel.

Dande, I'm sorry. That's shit.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

WTF? Why on earth are medical staff being targeted?
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

ParisGal wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm WTF? Why on earth are medical staff being targeted?
I think because of the priority the ID gives. It is photo ID though so places will have to start being more vigilant when checking.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Tell me it’s not for the free coffees in Pret, etc? Jesus.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

So many people are so grateful and trying to show it, but there always has to be a small percentage of sociopaths who ruin things :cry:
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Bloody hell, Teasel!

Dande, I’m so sorry. It’s awful.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Teasel, Dande, Skips, TC, cluef, Beatrix - and that's only the last couple of pages - I don't know what to say - it's so hard for so many so in so many different ways.

The badge stealing goes beyond any words I can summon.
Last edited by Montana on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beena

Post by Beena »

WTF is wrong with people? :mad:

Dande, that is shit. I'm really sorry.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

They're ringing the church bells in honour of the victims :cry: (although also that means at least 2 people are in there together. Hopefully it's two people who live together).
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

This voluntarily 'lock down' thing doesn't work anywhere. R and I were in the shop today (making up online orders), and there were far too many people out and about in cars. So much for "stay at home".
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

How many is far too many though? How do you know they weren't going to work in a hospital or collecting food or taking medication to the elderly? I don't know about where you are but there is a fraction of the traffic there usually is.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Our village pub are filling their time well while they’re closed. Tomorrow they’re doing a run to the cash and carry to get stuff for anyone in the village who needs it. They’re also offering one hour slots of exclusive use of their camping field for people who want to exercise themselves and their dogs in guaranteed isolation.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I went into work today for the first time to pick up some stuff before they close the building. Roads are very quiet, I went to the (quite well stocked) supermarket which was also quiet and the majority of people were doing the swerve around each other to make sure distance was maintained. A couple of dicks on 'holiday' who were being a pain in the arse but otherwise I think and hope the message is getting through.

Fuel prices are weird though, 10p a litre difference between three supermarkets when they are always so sure to match each other.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

smalex wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 pm How many is far too many though? How do you know they weren't going to work in a hospital or collecting food or taking medication to the elderly? I don't know about where you are but there is a fraction of the traffic there usually is.
I hear you, but there was literally the same amount of traffic in our tiny town (one main street, smaller than most UK villages) as usual. Loads of people coming and going from the little hardware store (the only open shop), loads of parents with kids in the car (apparently heading for the beach, despite them being closed). The chemist next door was relatively quiet.

There are even pubs in the east of the county who are refusing to close. :ella:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
viggy

Post by viggy »

baargain wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 am Omg. The strain of being kind. My therapists are being kind to people going through a shit time, while going through that same shit time themselves. Then I have to be kind to them (and my own clients).

I listened to a podcast by a man talking about the psychological impact on communities of pandemics, and he said the majority of people do adjust (as best they can) and find a rhythm/way to cope. I just need to work out a way to help those who don't. I guess that is my job now. Hahahhaaaaaa
You probably know the theory behind this already, but a recent episode of the podcast The Happiness Lab covered how we can cope better by using certain psychological tricks, like referring to ourselves in the third person in our thoughts, or trying to imagine looking back year from now and framing how we react now in terms of wanting to be someone who coped well in the circumstances...I'm explaining it badly, I was listening while juggling loads of other stuff, but it might be worth an explore.

https://www.happinesslab.fm/ bonus episodes at the bottom
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 pm Our village pub are filling their time well while they’re closed. Tomorrow they’re doing a run to the cash and carry to get stuff for anyone in the village who needs it. They’re also offering one hour slots of exclusive use of their camping field for people who want to exercise themselves and their dogs in guaranteed isolation.
This is so lovely :love:

One of our neighbors dropped notes off around the neighborhood letting us know that because he's a police officer, he has access to early shopping and will pick up any essentials for those who need help buying groceries. R and I don't need his help at this time :fc: but it was such a very nice thing. :love2:
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Ah thanks, vig! Anything is helpful, believe me :lol: I'll have a look at that.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

:sad: I'm so sorry for all impacted, Dande, Cluef, Beatrix, I can't even keep up.

Our local authority has cancelled all weddings until 31st August. We are due to get married the first week of August. :sad: And we found out in a breezy email from our venue "Hi, Hope you're well! Just to confirm, your wedding is now the same weekend in 2021" casual and breezy, almost word for word as above. Fucking hell. I can't even get upset because it feels so premature I'm trying to be optimistic that they'll go back on it and let us go ahead. Alternatively that we can have a wedding party and do the marriage ceremony at some other time. Fucks sake.

I can't even tell my parents because it might break them. They're in the most vulnerable group so completely incarcerated for 12 weeks. The wedding has given them hope and happiness, I can't tell them it is off. :sad:
Lola

Post by Lola »

Sorry about your wedding, Coo, and your job, Dand. Skips, that must be so hard too.

My grandma (who has cancer in her bowel, liver & lung) had a fall on Friday & broke a few ribs, one of which punctured her lung. So she’s now in hospital & only my aunt was allowed to visit & only for one hour a day. But now a patient who was discharged recently from the same ward has tested positive for cv so nobody is allowed to visit. I am worried sick that my grandma is going to catch it & die alone.
Last edited by Lola on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.