Clothing Return

smalex

Clothing Return

Post by smalex »

I know this is inconsequential in the grander scheme, but...

We bought a top for S's step dad's birthday, about two weeks ago, in Jack Wills. We gave it to him, and then they realised it had been miss labelled, so the visible tags showed a size larger than it atually was- and it doesn't fit.

I emailed Jack WIlls and sent photos. They replied and said 'because it was bought in a shop... it needs to be returned to a shop' so sorry but hold onto it and return it when shops open. Which obviously could be several months time (at best). They are still selling items via their website.

I'd just buy another top in the correct size online and then return the other when the shops reopen, but, it was on a buy one get £X off another offer, so if we rebuy it I think we'll be out of pocket.

Should I:

a. Stop complaining, we'll be lucky to have shops by the summer
b. Push back and ask for something to be sorted out
c. Another option... ??

I'm bending over backwards to help small retailers etc by the way, but y'know, they're...not.
Loralei

Re: Clothing Return

Post by Loralei »

I would buy one online in the correct size, then send the incorrectly labelled one back, claiming it was the one from the online order and you're returning it because they sent the wrong size. You should get refunded the amount you paid online and therefore not be out of pocket.
smalex

Post by smalex »

:idea:

Ok, I'm doing that. I totally hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks!

Sorry if I sound a bit grabby but the cost of the second item made the first item much more attractive and it annoyed me they were prepared to continue to sell things but happy to wash their hands of customer service.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Yes, exactly. I have done the above in the case of a lost receipt, but only with a big company and when the item I'm returning is resaleable, so they aren't losing out.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Jack Wills are a nasty shitty company. Years ago they were blaring music out of their store right opposite where we were having a Remembrance Day march thingy and refused to turn it off "because it's our brand". Two people held the doors shut in the end, which was probably a bit naughty, but. Anyway I have always hated Jack Wills ever since, so YES totally do what Lora says!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

And they are now owned by Sports Direct. More good reasons to avoid them in the future!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Nooo! Are they?!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh well that explains why their attitude was basically, shove it up your arse, we don't care (oh but, please buy some clothes off us online )
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Loralei wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm Yes, exactly. I have done the above in the case of a lost receipt, but only with a big company and when the item I'm returning is resaleable, so they aren't losing out.
I have done this a few times with a lost receipt too, especially since lots of places became more insistent on needing a receipt as proof of purchase.

I was going to ask a similar question in respect of shops and returning items. I assume shops will have to allow for >30 days window of return? I bought shit loads of matching :l: holiday clothes for the boys which I would ideally return because they’d both have grown out of them before we get a holiday.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I presume most will extend their returns dates, in the circumstances, but I've no idea really. There's a not unrealistic chance some places won't ever reopen because they'll go bust or something.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've resigned myself to putting them in holiday clothes round the house. :lol: I might need to crank the heating up though.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

So I did email back (it's something to do, innit), and they basically said- sorry, the online and stores are separate entities and operate differently- so I said- ok, can you guarantee that the store will take the return when it reopens? And if you can't answer that, please can you put me in touch with the CS dept for the stores.
And he came back and said - soz, there is no policy at the moment...and the stores don't have a separate CS dept.

So they're 'separate entities' apart from the fact they sell the same clothes and share a customer service department... Gosh, IF only you could facilitate a return... what a crock of shit.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Do what Lora said. Absolute fuckers. Ashley deserves to go bust.

smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh I'm definitely doing that anyway, because they're clearly not for turning.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Just check their returns policy. Since Ashley took over HoF you have to pay for deliveries AND returns.