Covid-19

smalex

Re: Corona Virus

Post by smalex »

Oh my god Coo, that's really shit! I'm sorry. How can they just shift them all a year without consultation?!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Lola, I'm so, so sorry. We've had a similar situation with my Dad over the last few days (home as of last night, but I can't even think about what he and my mum were exposed to) and the thought of him being alone was a knife to the heart.

Do you know if she's sedated or conscious? Is there one specific nurse contact your aunt got to know who you can call for updates?
Beena

Post by Beena »

Lola, you all must be so worried. Your poor grandma.

I'm sorry about your wedding too, Coo. The whole breezy same weekend next year would have me spitting.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Oh, Lola. I'm sorry and just hope that hygiene and distance in hospital will have kept your grandma safe.

The venue said they're booked up all year, smalex, so the same date next year seemed the right way to do it. They've said we can discuss obviously once this is all over but I don't want to wait a year, I'm getting older and want to start a family (maybe... I'm not entirely sure now with this pandemic and all :sad:)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

viggy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 am
You probably know the theory behind this already, but a recent episode of the podcast The Happiness Lab covered how we can cope better by using certain psychological tricks, like referring to ourselves in the third person in our thoughts, or trying to imagine looking back year from now and framing how we react now in terms of wanting to be someone who coped well in the circumstances...I'm explaining it badly, I was listening while juggling loads of other stuff, but it might be worth an explore.

https://www.happinesslab.fm/ bonus episodes at the bottom
Thanks vigs I love this sort of thing, I use a few of these - third person and reframing, but I often forget and the psychology behind it interests me. I will listen to this.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Oh coo! I’m so sorry. That’s very upsetting.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'd be looking for an alternative, once the dust has settled a bit.

I spoke to the guy I work for at the wedding venues I'm involved with yesterday. He had a horribly stressful week last week working out how to manage their overheads etc, and ringing every couple individually to explain the situation and talk about future options. I think they've just about sorted their finances so that they *might* hopefully be able to ride it out until venues can open again (though of course that's a bit open ended) but he's worried about how buoyant things might be afterwards... anyway, the point of what I've said all this for is that I reckon, at your venue or at others, there are likely to be cancellations and moving of dates and there's likely to be pretty good offers on, I'd imagine, because they'll all be desperate to get up and running again and having some sort of cashflow.
happyhighlandcoo

It is so much to think about. Being a teacher, I really wanted summer holidays. My parents being vulnerable/disabled means they can't travel so this venue is one of the very few they can get to, it has really significant sentimental connections for me and all others they might get to are the same council area anyway. Our instinct is to have the wedding party, hope the council will actually marry us but if not get a humanist and then do the legal bit whenever. We have booked 2 separate and perfect caterers, florist, photography, videography and a very lovely honeymoon, it would be so much to change/cancel and they might not all be available.
Lola

Post by Lola »

She’s conscious, Derek. They were talking about sending her home before all this. I don’t really see how she can live alone again though as this is the second fall she’s had in 6 months, plus she’s getting weaker from the cancer.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'm so sorry, it would be a sad enough situation without this bloody virus, but as it is...I know there's nothing any of us can say, but you are in my thoughts x
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Lola (and Derek), I’m so sorry. What an awfully difficult situation. It’s heartbreaking, isn’t it?

I’m sorry about your wedding, Coo. I think they breezy way they’ve dealt with it would have upset me too. I know there’s not much companies can do about it but maybe a bit more sensitivity would help. I agree with Smal and I’d look around when you can.

Viggy, thank you for posting that. I’m going to look at it later and I will also tell A about it because I think he’d like it too.

My hospital is stopping all births there for the next six months. I have no idea where I’ll be having the baby. (If there is a heart problem then it will likely be in the city hospital) but if not then it’s a crapshoot at the moment. More worryingly, all trusts have cancelled routine electives. I felt very blindly panicky about this last night but I told my lovely friend about it and she’s talked me down a bit now. :lol: It all just keeps coming, doesn’t it?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Shit Cluef, I know you have no alternative but to keep on keeping on but my god I understand your panic. I have every conceivable digit crossed for your scans.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh my, it's not like you can delay your baby! Augh
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Thank you. After my last attempt at labour and birth, I absolutely cannot risk anything like that happening again. The stakes are so high and it’s a bit (massively) terrifying. My section has already been booked for the 27th August, but obviously that’s meaningless now. I’m going to speak to my consultant (if she’s still seeing me) after my 20 week scan and see what might be happening.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Also sorry, I’ll take this to the proper thread next time.
happyhighlandcoo

Oh my gooness, cluef - that's madness. I'm so sorry for all of the unknowns and how much extra strain and worry that must add for you. I hope you can get some advice soon. You can't not give birth. They must really think this stuff is going to be longer term.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Cluef :hug:

My brother has to postpone his wedding too, (in SE Asia). He will lose the reception deposit despite still wanting to hold the wedding there :(
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Oh Cluef. I hope they can still get your section booked in somewhere. Hopefully some will still go ahead depending on why the section was needed last time.

Coo, I'm so sorry about your wedding too. My cousin has had to postpone hers too. She was due to get married next month and her dad has just been diagnosed with alzheimer's last week, so I feel dreadfully sorry for them.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Coo :hug: A woman at the salon last week has done the same. She has simply gone down the getting married route and having the party and celebration at a later date. It's so hard.

Lola, your granny too - my heart goes out to you. And Cluef. And PG's bruv. I don't know what to say.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That sucks PG.

Turns out I was right to be worried, I'm on 12 weeks of not stepping outside. Fuck sake.