The 'is this ok?' thread

cluefree

Re: The 'is this ok?' thread

Post by cluefree »

We passed a woman running in the middle of the road and she said “look! On the bright side, no traffic! I’d have been mown down ages ago on a normal day!” :lol: she was SO cheery, Pete said “she was a nice happy lady, wasn’t she mummy?” She really cheered us up.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

cluefree wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 pm I’d have been mown down ages ago on a normal day!”
:mog:

J and I went for a walk when I'd finished work (although he'd already been with the others; don't tell anyone! :shh: ) and it was like walking around at 2am. We did pass a few people but we stood out of the way to let anyone pass who was on our side of the street, and they all said thank you, too. We were passed by three double decker buses and there was only one passenger in total.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

We've been walking round the local streets, looking for rainbows. We did our own today after our walk. The streets are beautifully quiet, even ours which is a main road, and just about everyone steps into the road if necessary to pass but smiles and makes eye contact. There is no traffic noise or smell of exhaust fumes. If it wasn't for the horrible wider picture I'd say it was really lovely
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yes, same. It's like cycling round centerparcs or something. I'm trying to enjoy it as a small upside to an enormous downside IYSWIM
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am also finding people are friendlier. Normally I absolutely ignore everyone out of some sort of bizarre fear, I don't know what of, but now I am making eye contact with people. We are all smiling and saying good morning. I waved and smiled at a Tesco driver this evening, although he probably thought I'd escaped from somewhere.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Disco wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 pm :mog: Tea Leaf Toast.
OH! I have finally sussed why one of the characters in Psychoville is called Tea Leaf. The thief.

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Squeak and I didn’t speak to any of the people we passed earlier. I was trying to look friendly but I don’t think my face is good at that.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I just saw this on Facebook wrt to the ‘can we drive to walk?’ question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If only we had a leader or something that could ensure we had clarity on these things. :ella:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
smalex

Post by smalex »

I saw that note from A&S police (we live in that police authority).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409

On the otherhand, nothing expressly prohibits people from driving somewhere to go for a walk apparently.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It's my friend's birthday today. He should have been 36. I always go to the cemetery to see him but I can't drive there today can I? I just need to check. I could walk there I suppose - it would take me about an hour each way, but they haven't put a time limit on exercise.

Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

A walk there and back would be fine, Lily. Be careful with your knee though.

I’ve persuaded the children that every day we should go for our longest possible walking route ‘whilst we can’.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Mr D and I went out running last week as I hadn't been out of the house since Friday and hadn't been exercising* it felt so weird but we passed a few people, all of whom made plenty of space for us and of course I ran on the road to properly stay away from everyone.

*I went through a small depressive blip out the other side.

They are asking people to stay indoors but you can go outside if you properly social distance yourself. I'd drive there visit for whatever time and then return. Our local council I think have closed as many public spaces as they can including some cemeteries
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am thinking about "while we can" too, Edith.

Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Mr L had to take S to the fracture clinic at the hospital today (it was grim there, apparently) and then went to pick up some fresh stuff from the small supermarket on our high street. It wasn't very busy, and 2m social distancing zones were being carefully enforced. He was packing the groceries when a little old lady wandered in, walked up to S and started ruffling his hair and asking about his cast and began to chat to the check out operator. When Mr L politely pointed out that everyone is observing social distancing, and could she move away a bit please she huffily told him that she had lived through the war, and SHE didn't have the virus. :ella:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Liv! It would be funny if it weren't so awful.

smalex

Post by smalex »

For crying out loud! And she's the exact demographic most at risk.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

People have such capacity to be offended by things that aren't personal at all.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

My mum was the same when I spoke to her. She was immensely offended that I seemed to think she didn’t know how to travel safely on a bus as “if anything was making her uncomfortable she would just get off”. Great advice for avoiding being mugged maybe, less so for avoiding infection.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’m going for a walk with 2 of the kids. I couldn’t get anything gluten free yesterday so I’m trying again today at a different supermarket that’s in walking distance. I’m really fucking terrified, I know it’s just anxiety but it’s lik a sucker punch.