Covid-19

cluefree

Re: Corona Virus

Post by cluefree »

Oh dear, Tophole. As long as you’re safe though, that’s the main thing. How’s chop doing?

A has just been furloughed for three months. :lol: this is all going very well indeed. Nothing like a pandemic for making you question your life choices!
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Oh cluef, I knew about maternity closing a few days ago and hoped like mad that you hadn't been planning on delivering there. I'm also hoping like mad that it is temporar. I went on marches not long after I had B to keep it open. The community needs it.
Heartsick.blog
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I had hoped to, Bendy, health of baby depending. The community really does need it, doesn’t it? I feel so sorry for women due any time now who’ve had no time to get used to the idea.
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Someone on my local Facebook page has posted a series of photos of the area during lockdown. They are beautiful and haunting and eerie. Part of me was thinking STAY INSIDE DUDE! And part of me was thinking what a fabulous record they will be for history books in the future.
Heartsick.blog
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Could we see these please Bendy?

I just had a nervewracking trip to the Co Op. Most people behaved but 3 blokes in there were making a joke of it. I wanted to wallop them but then I thought they are just as scared as me, but making a big deal out of not being scared. At least I don't care about sounding scared. The dear people who work in the shop are doing a great job and I checked they were OK and thanked them. There are benefits to living above a shop!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Bendywendywoo

Post by Bendywendywoo »

Lily wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:38 pm Could we see these please Bendy?

I have grabbed a few screenshots, hoping this link to them works ..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/t99493ewYfWtU2ey8
Heartsick.blog
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

Jeremy Vine, on Radio 2, is saying that they now think it's possible only 5000 people will die in the UK which sounds good based on previous numbers I'd heard. I missed the working out as to how they decided that though.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Without wanting to panic anyone, they were saying here yesterday that a lot of deaths aren't being counted, and the real toll is in fact much higher. When we had the heatwave in 2003 the initial figure in France was 3000, then after a few years it was officially moved to over 19 000.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I also read something about the way the government is releasing figures is...creative. But no idea if the source is reliable or not.

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1243095749686067202

I am so sorry for everyone who's having such awful things happen. There are so many that's it's hard to keep up and that in itself is awful.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm Without wanting to panic anyone, they were saying here yesterday that a lot of deaths aren't being counted, and the real toll is in fact much higher. When we had the heatwave in 2003 the initial figure in France was 3000, then after a few years it was officially moved to over 19 000.
Yes, they're only counting deaths in hospital of people who have been tested. (Very few unless you're a high hied yin and "important").
They're not counting those who die at home nor those that have not been tested.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:45 pm Ooh! Home testing kits on the way hopefully.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oFBaBVzyqE
So this was either an outright lie at worst or utterly fudged communication at best. Colour me amazed.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I'm so sorry, Lola, and Cluef and for everyone else.

I'm still working and we are just about to open up our referrals again ,but telephone advice only. We have relaxed our criteria and are bracing to be completely inundated by referrals for people that it will frankly be almost impossible to help remotely. I feel incredibly stressed about it already.

My freelance work has now gone through the roof with Covid19 enquiries, and they are asking us to give more hours. I can't though, I already do 8 hours on top of my day job and I need some time away from C19 based work.

I'm starting to feel guilty for not signing up to be a volunteer anywhere. I feel I should be getting old people's shopping, but I feel I have no time already. It's all so shit.
Malan
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Marth, don't guilt yourself because you don't have time to spare. The response has been phenomenal, nationally, so don't feel bad because you're rushed off your feet, you're contributing on a daily basis as it is.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I feel a bit guilty too, Marth (I signed up to the British Red Cross appeal but not this) but for the moment I do have work to do, a child at home to entertain etc. There has been a massive response so far, and there are plenty of people who have been furloughed etc who might have more time than you do.
I might sign up in a month or so when I've run out of work.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Another one with the guilt! Our street hasn't had any of those lovely letters through the door starting a whatsapp group. Because usually that would be me but I've been self-isolating until today so I was too much of a risk! I might try and get out there more now but honestly, these kids are taking my last nerves and reserves!
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Marth! You have 2 full time jobs helping people!
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

People, if you're doing full-time childcare, you've got enough to be getting on with!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Omg. Even my own staff feel guilty, for not being on a general hospital ward, and "just" being mental health staff. And one of them spoke to a ward sister who also feels guilty for not doing enough!

Stop it! You're doing what you can! Even if you can't help anyone directly, then buying food helps! And just keeping each other as sane as you can makes my job easier!

I do get the guilt, and feel it from time to time, but you don't need to, you really don't.

Too many exclamation points, sorry :lol: making sure you all adjust as best you can is your job right now. Everyone settle down with the guilt.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

And children! I forbid you from volunteering for anything. You're a key-worker. Do your key work and keep yourself as rested and healthy as you can because you're needed

I'm not volunteering. I'm already doing my dad's shopping, working online, going into work and parenting my own children. I've downloaded that app and (as my income is secure) I've upped my donations - Women's Aid and Trussell Trust - and chucked money in a variety of feed-NHS-worker buckets.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

That was to Marth. 😁