The "Do I have COVID-19?" thread

maya

Re: The "Do I have COVID-19?" thread

Post by maya »

emma_p wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm I know. He didn't have all those symptoms to begin with but after about day 3 he had pretty much every single one.

Maya, if he's an essential worker it's even more important he isolates. Or he'll go in to work and potentially infect a lot more essential workers.
Yes, absolutely agree. My fever spiked earlier today and I felt truly awful, I’m just hoping it passes quickly!
Offtopic

Post by Offtopic »

I hope some of you are feeling better. we've not been great here although I'm wondering if another bug is doing the rounds too. B is coughing in the morning but then nothing. I've had quite a severe headache for about 2 weeks but no fever, the opposite, I keep getting freezing cold chills and needing a not bath. A slight cough but not serious. Itself better a few days about its come back

Trying not to get too paranoid but it's hard.
In Pizza Express you can get garlic bread with cheese and tomato. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a pizza.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

The chills has been a main symtom for me. I only had two days of a proper high temperature but even when my temperature was only slightly raised I've had bad chills, feet like blocks of ice etc.

Today I've felt much better and haven't had to take paracetamol. I really hope I'm on the mend now. I am getting a bit breathless doing not very much though so I definitely still need to rest.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, I'm still hot and cold. Not in a feverish way - it's more literal than that. Every now and then I break out in a hot flush, which lasts a few minutes then disappears. A few minutes later, I'm really cold. It's bad enough during the day, but in bed the duvet is on and off all night.
viggy

Post by viggy »

I've been worse again today, which is disappointing after feeling a bit better yesterday. I'm still not as bad as I was, but solo parenting, in lockdown, while sick, is hard.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m so sorry viggy, I hope you feel better soon. I’ve heard about it getting better then worse again. It’s a horrible thing.

After 9 days, I’m still wheezy and my cough has got a bit worse since yesterday. It’s worse in the evenings, I’m feeling very low today, finding it hard to cope (children refusing to do any school work, being incredibly difficult and fighting) and actually felt a bit frightened earlier that I couldn’t breathe. My symptoms are so mild I feel like I shouldn’t complain, but it wouldn’t have to get much worse for me to start feeling panicky. I really hope it turns a corner in the next couple of days. Sorry for the moan when I know I’m relatively lucky.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Don't apologise for moaning, it's frightening not being able to breathe properly, especially when you know the country is in a health crisis - I felt so much better once I'd spoken to my GP and knew I was getting steroids that would help. Plus, nothing prepares you for pandemic parenting - we're affected by stress, and so are our kids, and then we all need to be shut in together and not see our friends or go anywhere nice or have any kind of break? Its HARD.
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

Morganna wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 pm Yes, I'm still hot and cold. Not in a feverish way - it's more literal than that. Every now and then I break out in a hot flush, which lasts a few minutes then disappears. A few minutes later, I'm really cold. It's bad enough during the day, but in bed the duvet is on and off all night.
Exactly this for me but I've also had an on and off headache like Offty.

I'm well post menopausal.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Squirrel, I didn’t know you had covid symptoms. I thought you and the kids been out on walks? If anyone in your house has symptoms you all need to isolate for 14 days. Not observe social distancing.

George now has a sore throat to add to his symptoms and I heard him coughing in the night. S’s temp went back up last night and he felt rough after feeling pretty much ok in the day yesterday.

Liv and I will now need to lengthen our quarantine period.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That's not what the guidance says though emma. Outside for exercise is still permitted. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -infection

And those with symptoms who feel better are allowed out after 7 days. It's those without symptoms that have to do 14 days (and possibly restart the 14 days if another person in the household gets symptoms) - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... iagram.pdf
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Does that not mean that (sorry to talk about you) Squiz’s children and husband should not be leaving the house at all though?

Sorry about your increased quarantine, emma. Does G seem ok?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

On that page it says: “if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill”
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

George insisted on doing the Joe Wicks work out even though I said he could sit it out and catch up and is now kicking his football in the garden so he can’t be feeling too bad this morning.

The quarantine lengthening is ok - we should be ok for food, my local colleagues and friends are checking in on what’s app and are willing to drop parcels on the doorstep and it’s not like there’s a huge amount we’re missing outside :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

emma_p wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 am On that page it says: “if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill”
Yes, that's what I said. The individual with symptoms is stuck in for 7 days, but others are for 14 days (unless they or somebody else develops symptoms). But it also clearly says that you can leave for exercise

If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Re can you catch it twice: I asked a friend of mine whose training is in microbiology and biochemistry.
His career has been in both vaccine and biological drug development. He is headhunted regularly by companies and orgaisation all over the world. I trust his opinion 100%

He said : "This isn't known yet. Most probably, you can catch this once and will have some degree of immunity. However, viruses change quickly and, most likely, we will need to develop seasonal vaccines for this condition."
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

The exercise rule is the one causing the most problems, I think. I know it is necessary to exercise, and that there are mental health (and civil liberties) issues, but I wonder if the rules should change to it being only allowed indoors? That means that there would be pretty much no reason to be out - buying food or going to work would be all, with less wriggle room or room for confusion.

I do appreciate how difficult it would be to keep children indoors, though, (so don't shoot me!), and don't know how we would get around dog walking.
Luce

Post by Luce »

wendy james wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:55 am
emma_p wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 am On that page it says: “if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill”
Yes, that's what I said. The individual with symptoms is stuck in for 7 days, but others are for 14 days (unless they or somebody else develops symptoms). But it also clearly says that you can leave for exercise

If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others.
Exactly! You're allowed to exercise! Quarantine-because-of-symptoms is exactly the same as lockdown for everyone. Symptom based quarantine used to be harsher than social distancing but now we're all in lockdown the rules are the same. We've definitely been on isolated walks whilst in symptom quarantine.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That doesn’t make sense to me, Luce. I think exercise should be indoors-only or in a private garden while isolating but that’s it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yes we have exercised, we’re fortunate to live near unoccupied open spaces where we can go out without seeing anyone or having to touch gates or anything other than our back garden gate, that is only used by us. Sorry if this is against the rules but I genuinely don’t believe we’re putting anyone at risk.

We do occasionally pass other people on the other side of the lane actually, I don’t know the width of the road but it’s over 2m.
Disco

Post by Disco »

There needs to be clarity. I'm really shocked that people with symptoms are 'allowed' out!