Holidays, trips & travel 2020

kiwi

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by kiwi »

I don't know if there's anything useful in here for those of you who have trips booked or part paid for?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ur-rights/
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

We are supposed to pay the balance for our holiday cottage in Wales (booked for the beginning of July) by Saturday. If the holiday can’t go ahead then we can transfer the booking to any date next year. But we booked this week as it was supposed to be after MissA had finished her GCSEs, so next year we wouldn’t be able to have the exact same week unless we left her behind. Any other dates that we can do will all be in the school holidays, so presumably more expensive and/or already booked up. The website says we will be able to log into our account and transfer the booking at some point if we want to.

I can’t decide whether it’s basically throwing good money after bad at this point!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think it might be.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Personally where possible I’d just be trying to get refunds for anything :look: as I wouldn’t want to count my chickens in respect of everywhere being open/me personally being happy to travel etc in x amount of months time.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

We have a holiday booked for July a package via jet 2. Miraculously (we normally pay in full when we book) I only paid the deposit, but the full balance is due on the 22nd. The problem is they stipulate they are resuming flights at the end of June so technically we can go, so it would be us cancelling. I’m fine with this, it just means not paying the balance and losing the £180 deposit but I just irrationally wish they’d cancel it, it’s somewhere I’ve wanted to go for years but as you’ve all said even if we could go would you want to? Would anything there be open? And I’d never forgive myself if any of us got ill because of it. I think I’m just having a Tuesday meh moment it’s hardly a first world problem.

We were due to go to Harry Potter world at half term but they’ve already said they are just refunding everyone in full. The hotel we booked in London for it though have basically said “tough” and we’ve lost the money on that.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

We cancelled our holiday today. :sad: If Ryanair start flying again by July we’ll lose the deposit but if not, we can move the flights to next year or get a refund.

So hopefully the hot tub we’ve ordered will turn up and we’ll get a lovely couple of weeks at home pretending to be at an all inclusive resort in Mallorca.
Skips

Post by Skips »

We've rebooked all our holidays now. We got a refund and some unused clubcard vouchers back from hotels.com so we've going to ilfracombe next easter. Hoseasons gave us a voucher to rebook so we've booked a cottage in Yorkshire for July next year and P&O have transferred our cruise to September next year. I cry for this year.
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

Aww Skips :cry:. We got our refund credit through and are debating whether or not to book a theoretical holiday with it for next year. Theoretical as I genuinely can’t see how any holiday can take place until there’s treatment or a vaccine.

Jersey has locked its borders indefinitely (open only to essential travel), and I can’t see them re-opening this year, so I can’t even rely on a break back home at the end of the year.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It really does suck. I’m sorry for everybody who is missing out. No, it’s not the worst thing going on in the world, but it’s really disappointing and sad.
Skips

Post by Skips »

As we are outside the cancellation window with P&O we could only move our booking (they have called everything up to the end of July), but we were due to go in September and I didn't want to risk waiting any more as we need to pay the balance.

The others were vouchers that needed to be redeemed by the end of the year in any case so I figured we may as well get something booked now and hope for the best.

I don't know what will happen with annual leave.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I know we want to support events etc, but personally I am wary of allowing my tickets to be rolled over to another year, and will try for a refund instead (if possible) . My worry that if the company goes under, in many cases your money goes with them and you become a creditor at the end of a very long queue. Sb1s festival in Spain will refund now but would prefer people used the tickets for next year. Given that they were saying "No refund no way" up to a week ago, I have advised him to get the refund. It's 300 pounds he can't afford to lose if the go bust (as tragic as that is)
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I'm with you, Marth.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Me too. My holiday booking has been refunded, thankfully though not my Easyjet flights. Even if the companies haven't gone bust by next year I don't want to fly/ am not convinced anything will bea ny different with regards to the virus.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'd be more inclined to support local events, if I could afford it, but in SB1's position I'd definitely want a refund.

I really want a flight refund but doubt we'll get it.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Unfortunately P&O won't offer a refund at the moment which means waiting to see if the date of lockdown is moved or taking a hit on losing the deposit which is a large amount. The other two breaks are very small amounts if we do have to cancel so we'll take the hits on those if we need to.

I can't think about not taking holidays next year, I'm already struggling as it is. To me, this isn't living and mentally I'd rather have hope for the future.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I feel the same. But equally my initially thoughts on our cancelled May holiday was “oh, it’s ok, we will just go in October”, and then a few weeks in I thought that there’s no chance I’d feel comfortable with that, and shifted it (in my head) to the following May. I’m not even sure how comfortable I would feel then tbh.

I haven’t had any of my cancelled flights refunded yet despite applying as soon as I could, and BA are still inferring that my early June flights to Nice are a goer, the massive bells.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I am so fed up. Last year we only managed a night away due to building work and a job change. So this year at Easter we had planned a week in a holiday cottage which we've managed to book for next year.
Plus a tour around Jordan in September, I need to pay the final balance June. I am trying to find a way with tui if we change our package but getting through to them is a nightmare.
At this rate it will be two years before I get to go away.
smalex

Post by smalex »

That's gutting, Wiggle.

Apparently the EU are claiming there will be a summer holiday season. I don't see how?! Probably so southern Europe doesn't throw itself off a cliff.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I highly doubt France will be letting tourists in in early June!
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I agree, it's just not possible