Pandemic Politics and Economics

smalex

Re: Pandemic Politics and Economics

Post by smalex »

Oh well. That's fine. It's not like we need a functioning public transport system in the capital city :ella:. For fucks sake. I fucking hate these people.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

They also want to undermine Khan and this is their chance to both extend their reach into TFL and make sure he gets blamed for, well, everything.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think his plans sound really good, although I’m probably missing something.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm They also want to undermine Khan and this is their chance to both extend their reach into TFL and make sure he gets blamed for, well, everything.
Yes, election next year. Boris missed all his targets as mayor , designed new routemaster buses then took the conductors off them, causing high non payment, and spunked a lot of money on a stupid garden bridge that won't be built, but still, that's better than a hopper fare for some of our most poorly paid workers.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Ella77 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:40 pm I think his plans sound really good, although I’m probably missing something.
No, your not missing anything. khan's plans around cycling walking and traffic free routes are great. Khan however will be blamed for putting up the tube and bus fares etc etc
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Marth wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:41 pm
Rebel Pebble wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm They also want to undermine Khan and this is their chance to both extend their reach into TFL and make sure he gets blamed for, well, everything.
Yes, election next year. Boris missed all his targets as mayor , designed new routemaster buses then took the conductors off them, causing high non payment, and spunked a lot of money on a stupid garden bridge that won't be built, but still, that's better than a hopper fare for some of our most poorly paid workers.
Yep. And Khan has always been a die hard, vocal, remainer. I reckon they have truly loathed him since the 2018/19 fireworks.

And somehow he constantly gets blamed for rising knife crime, when it's the years of Tory policy that have led to it and the riots happened on Johnson's watch yet somehow he wasn't to blame for that. :ella:
Marth

Post by Marth »

From the evening standard :

Free travel for 1.5 million London schoolchildren will be temporarily axed this summer and over-60s will no longer be able to travel for free at peak times.

Details emerged today of the price Londoners will have to pay in return for the £1.6 billion in emergency funds for Transport for London.

Totally political and targets the poor (as fucking usual)
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I didn't actually know that the over 60s could travel free in peak. I thought that was the reason for the "twirlies" moniker

What a complete load of shit, though.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Playbook has some good stuff on what Rishi Eyebrows is up to today, if anyone fancies a bit of economic geekery. Goat will like it, the whole Playbook briefing this morning is sponsored by fish. :))

The Guaridan has been plugging this idea about UK adults getting £500 vouchers to spend in struggling UK economy areas. Which is either a lot of lattes OR 0.01% of a family holiday to Centre Parcs, I think. :)) I think the scheme happening well improbable, but you know, weird times.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It’s seems mad, but I missed out on being given £250 for a change bag* when I was pregnant, so I’d take it.

*it was meant to be for healthy food, but I don’t know anyone who spent it on carrots.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Is that like the Sure Start thing which ended up full of Yummy Mummys doing baby massage? *ducks* :))
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I am desperately hoping that if stamp duty cuts are announced they start immediately rather than in the autumn. DESPERATELY.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 am Is that like the Sure Start thing which ended up full of Yummy Mummys doing baby massage? *ducks* :))
And all the "hard to reach" mothers not feeling able to attend. Hackney, I am looking at you. It was a scandal I thought.
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Chicky wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am I am desperately hoping that if stamp duty cuts are announced they start immediately rather than in the autumn. DESPERATELY.
It would happen straight away - they want to kick start house sales, not add to the delays.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I wish they'd refund me the epic stamp duty I paid at the end of February :))
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 am Is that like the Sure Start thing which ended up full of Yummy Mummys doing baby massage? *ducks* :))
No, Sure Start had demonstrable and considerable advantages to the poorest families (although clearly wasn't without controversy; I hadn't heard about the Hackney thing). The scandal is that it was cancelled. The maternity fund was a bit odd though, as someone who recieved it twice but didn't really need it.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

emma_p wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am
Chicky wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am I am desperately hoping that if stamp duty cuts are announced they start immediately rather than in the autumn. DESPERATELY.
It would happen straight away - they want to kick start house sales, not add to the delays.
The initial talk was of it being in the autumn but it seems more likely they’ll go for it Immediately to avoid delays. I hope so!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 am Playbook has some good stuff on what Rishi Eyebrows is up to today, if anyone fancies a bit of economic geekery. Goat will like it, the whole Playbook briefing this morning is sponsored by fish. :))

The Guaridan has been plugging this idea about UK adults getting £500 vouchers to spend in struggling UK economy areas. Which is either a lot of lattes OR 0.01% of a family holiday to Centre Parcs, I think. :)) I think the scheme happening well improbable, but you know, weird times.
Well that's my morning procrastination sorted.

Can we not just cut to a UBI?
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:00 am
No, Sure Start had demonstrable and considerable advantages to the poorest families (although clearly wasn't without controversy; I hadn't heard about the Hackney thing). The scandal is that it was cancelled. The maternity fund was a bit odd though, as someone who recieved it twice but didn't really need it.
I do agree with you. My comment was a not very veiled dig at Ruby, who did baby massage in Moss Side. :)) Which I found hilarious at the time.

Plus, like Marth. I am aware that some places it didn't work because it didn't reach the people who would have benefited most. But that was problem that should have been sorted by tweaking delivery, not cancelling it. :))
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Kate Garraway went to my local Sure Start when I lived in Islington :))