The Good Life (gardening chat)

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Duophonic

Re: The Good Life (gardening chat)

Post by Duophonic »

Yes I did, Shoe.

I opted for two bare root plants.

FWIW I've grown herbs from seed in a windowsill propagator and I planted the shoots out last Sunday. They're doing well.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've gone for it and decided the frost risk must be over, although it was frosty about 10 days ago so maybe I'm wrong. I think that's unusual though (here).

I bought my DA roses at their nursery last year but I am going to order some online soon. I'll have to get potted one though, bare root finished for the season I think.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Of course, you're right Smal. The bare root season finishes May.

A couple of highly scented pots would be fantastic on your balcony, Shoe.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Shoe wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 am Are you guys ordering from David Austen online?

How do I know when it's safe to plant out? I've still got all my bulbs in little pots so I can take them in if it gets too cold. We must be past frost risk now though? So they should be ok to go outside full time, I think? Can anyone confirm? :))
I put kale and spinach out a couple of weeks ago and covered them with cut up plastic bottles to protect them. I removed the bottles at the weekend and they are doing fine.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Duophonic wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 am Of course, you're right Smal. The bare root season finishes May.

A couple of highly scented pots would be fantastic on your balcony, Shoe.
It's a bummer because the pots cost quite a lot more!
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

You don't need to protect kale, it doesn't mind a frost. I don't protect my chard either, that's OK in a frost.

Frost dates are a proper gamble, my beans and courgettes have just about survived. We often get an early may frost in Norfolk.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

We definitely had frost recently, last week or the week before. The internet tells me my last frost date is 'mid-may'. I might go for it as it does seem marginally warmer now.

I'm thinking something highly scented on a pot would be nice, rose wise. I'm tempted to try a climber but a bush might be easier.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I wanted one for around the front door but it would need to be grown in a pot, but couldn't find any they'd recommend (although in one or two photos they show a climber in a pot).
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I had this one saved on Pinterest from a while ago.
Screenshot_20200521-103853.jpg
And this climber, but like you I'm not sure it would work in a pot?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Sorry, I meant, I wanted a climber but suitable for a pot. But they don't seem to reccomend any. But do show this photo https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/strawberry-hill

Bth of those are really pretty. Gertrude Jekkyl is on my short list for the pergola.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Would it work in an enormous pot?

Frost dates apparently mean that there is now only a 50% chance of a frost (hence my frostbitten plants). I love a gamble, and usually survive it. Every few years, all my tender stuff gets taken out :lol:
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I reckon a large enough pot would get a potted climber to a decent height.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I have Gertrude Jekyll and it is beautiful. I'm such a fan of DA roses. I need to go there before I buy any more though, as I want a really scented one.

You could ask them what they'd recommend for a pot, they are always super helpful.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've said this before but we had a really lovely trip there this time last year. It was absolutely beautiful and very inspiring.

You lot are such enablers, I'm adding LARGE POT to my enormous list of things to buy :lol:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Having a flowering plant growing around your front door is the dream though!
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

smalex wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:28 am I've said this before but we had a really lovely trip there this time last year. It was absolutely beautiful and very inspiring.

You lot are such enablers, I'm adding LARGE POT to my enormous list of things to buy :lol:
I was going to go to buy one or two and have afternoon tea while we were there. Kicking myself I didn't now.

I absolutely love roses, I think they are my favourite. I consider myself to be a bit of a trial and error gardener but I seem to have been lucky with roses. We have inherited a lot here, some that are super old (the stem is as thick as a tree) and overgrown and I was terrified I'd kill them but they've all had new growth coming through since I pruned them last year. It's very rewarding to see that I've got it right with them at least.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I was looking at some David Austin roses ages ago but there were none in stock so that's a good prod. I've just ordered some for the balcony and some climbing ones for the new fence.it will be so much better with fences

Someone is coming to install new fences in 2 weeks time and I can't wait. It's the first step in sorting out the garden. I'm also going to spend the weekend doing some pond care and stuff. I know nothing about ponds and it seems very complicated.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I want a pond so much.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I cleaned mine (absolutely tiny) up a few weeks ago (it was clogged with an overgrown water iris) and a toad, a frog and a newt have taken up residence. However it is also permanently surrounded by cats-that-aren't-mine. :lg:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'd love a pond too but they seem so high maintenance.

I took a few photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing